GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk6 => Topic started by: RedHP on 30 November 2010, 15:50

Title: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: RedHP on 30 November 2010, 15:50
Okay boys and girls, I need to pick your brains.

The current weather conditions have made me think.......
How easy/hard is it to convert the GiT to all wheel drive and, roughly, how much would it affect my pocket money?
And, would any other component(s) require alterations or upgrades (other than my wallet for the additional fuel costs)  :laugh:

Has anyone had this done and would they recommend it?

Red
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: topher on 30 November 2010, 15:57
it'd be cheaper to sell yours and buy an R unless you're handy with a welder and have a few weeks to spare.

the rear floor pan needs to be unpicked and replaced with a 4motion one to be able to mount the running gear. Off the top of my head you then need

gearbox
driveshafts x 4
fuel tank
prop/linkage/rear diff/haldex controller
front arb, rear arb, rear wishbones,struts, hubs, brakes etc
compatible ecu, abs module and a ton of wiring.
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: Rhyso on 30 November 2010, 15:59
Take your car to the dealer and leave it there

Whilst at the dealer collect a Golf R

Simples  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Otherwise you'd be looking at cutting out the rear floor plan, re-routing the exhaust and changing the gearbox and loads of other bits and bobs

Cheapest thing to do is to fit winter tyres and laugh at the idiots with their 4 wheel drive vehicles who still have their summer tyres fitted floundering in the snow

EDIT - damn you Toph  :tongue:
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: RedHP on 30 November 2010, 16:13
A small job then !!
Thanks, both, for the heads up !

My first choice was the R, but decided against it due to fuel costs.

Ideally, I wouldn't like to buy a second pair of rubbers for the winter but I may have to, to survive in the snow and ice as currently it is a struggle.

It hasn't stopped snowing at all today and we are under a foot of snow, most of which will turn to ice overnight.
Alas, the joys of motoring !
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: MAW73 on 30 November 2010, 16:40
It sounds like a job for the A TEAM or just go and by an R as discussed above.
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: Rolfe on 30 November 2010, 17:29
Just buy a pair of winter tyres for the front wheels and shut up already....  I got mine for £240.

Rolfe.
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: RedHP on 30 November 2010, 17:48
Just buy a pair of winter tyres for the front wheels and shut up already....  I got mine for £240.

Rolfe.

Okay okay, Rolfe !
Which ones did you go for?
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: am1w on 30 November 2010, 17:51
Red:

4x4s without winter tyres are also pretty useless.
Watch the video. Says it all.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Bild-Winter-4x4-TyreTest.htm

Get some winter rubber ASAP and enjoy your GTi! :wink:
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: p3eps on 30 November 2010, 18:12
My first choice was the R, but decided against it due to fuel costs.

????

I get better economy now than I did in my MK5 GTI Edition 30.
All my driving is through town... stop, start, stop, start - and I get around 29mpg.  I've never been on a long run yet, but I bet I'd get 35+ no problem.
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: Ess_Three on 30 November 2010, 18:15
Cheapest thing to do is to fit winter tyres and laugh at the idiots with their 4 wheel drive vehicles who still have their summer tyres fitted floundering in the snow


This man tells it how it is!
What's the expression?...Snow Tyres FTW!
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: Rolfe on 30 November 2010, 19:59
Just buy a pair of winter tyres for the front wheels and shut up already....  I got mine for £240.

Rolfe.

Okay okay, Rolfe !
Which ones did you go for?

I just asked my garage man to fit winter tyres when the car had its first service a week ago.  I had to insist a bit, he was unconvinced when I made the request in October and suggested he might source some and fit them later, but I didn't want to take the car back a second time so I stuck to my guns.  It was also his idea just to do the front wheels.

So it turned out that I needed new front tyres anyway, so it was pretty much cost neutral, or will be till March.  I just took what I was given, but I note the tyres read "Hankook Icebear".  I don't know what more a "premium brand" could have delivered, quite honestly.  And I know the rear of the car is likely to lose grip and swing out if I corner to fast on snow, so I don't do it.

Frankly, compared to the original Bridgestones in similar conditions eleven months ago, it's like having caterpillar tracks.

Rolfe.
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: Rolfe on 30 November 2010, 20:00
Double post.
Title: Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
Post by: Snoopy on 30 November 2010, 20:57
Audi make or use to make last year an A3 with the better version of the EA888 GTI engine in it with Heldex.
Conversion is alot of work, floorpan, rear subframe, prop, gearbox, electronics etc etc,