GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: jimmyhodge on 03 November 2010, 09:37
-
Ok its time to change the gearbox on my gti... At the moment its just a standard 1.6 5 speed unit. Unfortunatly this seems to have given up the ghost... :sad: Been toying with the idea for a while of doing a gearbox conversion on the weee girl but never had a good excuse to do it.
However this seems like as good a time as ever to start concidering a 6 speed box conversion. Anyone ever done it? Recommendations? The car is mostly used as abit of fun so quick acceleration is at the highest priority! What box would you recommend if any? The only reason I concidered a 6 speed conversion was to get that motorway usability :smiley:
-
I was told a while back that the 4 speed box out of a polo fits and was quite good, the guy who told me was a mechanic might be worth looking into.
-
Hmmm something to concider,I have a 4 speed box lieing around out of my 1.3 :smiley:
-
http://www.qpeng.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=756
http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/search/results/taxonomy%3A483?page=1
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-154780.html
-
option 6 boxes are actualy quite rare (not ebay rare) and most defantly expensive
it's not worth fittin the 6 speed out the newer vw's as its quite a lot work and its a heavy unit also requirs some expensive parts
-
Not really worth fitting one to be honest.
-
Thats all I needed to hear,will pop down the local breakers today and see if I can pick up a 5 speed box for the girl then in that case :smiley:
-
Fit a longer 5th is my advice if you want the extra motorway mpg ;)