GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 02 November 2010, 12:57

Title: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: Haribo! on 02 November 2010, 12:57
Somehow I have torn the EL foil I had internally so the current lights up a tiny part of my cut outs for my dials and stops at that, Knowing this is something that can happen, I could easily avoid letting it bend enough for this to happen again but low and behold, I cant seem to find a place that sells it anywhere anymore.

Does anyone know somewhere that sells an A4 sheet of cuttable EL foil that lights up white and wont cost me 100 quid from the USA :(

My last one was 40 quid but they dont stock anymore :(

Second question, would anything else have a similar effect?
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: Haribo! on 02 November 2010, 13:06
Would this work with my 12v inverter?

Cause it says it needs a 9v one...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/A6-electroluminescent-panel-EL-back-light-sheet-foil-/110459077382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b7dfc306#ht_848wt_1139
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: rubjonny on 02 November 2010, 13:40
a selection of leds with the ends sanded to diffuse the light a bit?
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: Haribo! on 02 November 2010, 15:32
Would have to be a fair few, lol

I've found some reasonably priced foil now so we'll see if I can nail it this time, apparently after cutting it should be re-laminated. So I'll give that go.
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: danny_p on 03 November 2010, 00:09
ELF is funny stuff to be fair to it. 
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 03 November 2010, 11:37
Go back to the original thread you posted and my reply with the youtube video.

The German one with the white LED's and red needles.  Do that instead.

Or next time:

"measure twice, cut once."

Jonathan.

 :grin:
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: Haribo! on 03 November 2010, 16:12
Wiring up a load of LEDs would be a total nightmare, these very expensive metal monkey dials have been made to be back lit, They dont really work otherwise.

I think the guy your on about lit them from the front
Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 03 November 2010, 16:44
Correct, he did.  You didnt say you were keeping the MM dials.

If you are then best have another go with the EL foil.  Can you not use one sheet and cut to fit?

Title: Re: Alternative to electroluminescent foil?
Post by: Haribo! on 03 November 2010, 18:53
Correct, he did.  You didnt say you were keeping the MM dials.

If you are then best have another go with the EL foil.  Can you not use one sheet and cut to fit?



Well they were 70 quid, cant go wasting that sort of money :p

ive got two sheets on the way, one for each dial, wel see how it goes  :huh: