GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Neo Badness on 01 November 2010, 17:34

Title: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: Neo Badness on 01 November 2010, 17:34
Right came across a ported and polished head from an Audi 2ltr 16v.

TSR group A head ported and polished, club sport cams, and kent vernier pully, 276,and 286 durations

1) will this bolt up to an ABF bottom end?

2) Will didgi 3 mange to cope with it?

3) will this just push the power band up the rev range/ be too spicy for a daily?

4) worth £300? ( ithink I know the answer to this one)



Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: Neo Badness on 01 November 2010, 17:37
I also came across this whilst on the hunt for info on here

http://www.newman-cams.com/pdf/camshaftselection.pdf
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: Bigdunc on 01 November 2010, 21:54
my cam is a kent cam gs1h
266 Deg

runs ok on road
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: rob.043 on 02 November 2010, 09:37
my cam is a kent cam gs1h
266 Deg

runs ok on road

Same, I have kent 266 in my 8v and its very well behaved. No issues with pootling about in town (on the rare occasion it happens). Check specific cam specs, as duration may not tell the full story. Overlap and lift height can vary between cams with the same duration, and give different charactaristics. I would imagine that durations going beyond 270 begin to show significantly rougher idling and poorer fuel consumption.

Hopefully someone with a cammed 16v will be able to enlighten you more...  But will the standard ABF with a tubular manifold and remap not be all the fun you need?
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: Wayne on 02 November 2010, 10:23
Have a word with Glen (essthree) he has done lots with the ABF and will tell you if they would be a good choice.
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: Neo Badness on 02 November 2010, 12:31
Sound enough guys, I don't think it'll be a goer this time out. Major bummer but guy who was buying my wheels has backed out :sad:

Reckon a remap on standard digi 3 is a bit pointless from what I've read. Same with a tubular manifold etc ( even though I already have a tubular mani' filter etc) Reckon it'll stay stock as a rock until such time as I can get the polishing porting done.


Do love the lumpy idle though, so long as it sounds tuned rather than just rubber ducked...
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: lemski on 03 November 2010, 18:31
My k-jet is cammed. Its fine as a daily 16valve had to turn idle up so ticks over at about 1500 now but doesn't bother me its still good on fuel
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: Neo Badness on 03 November 2010, 18:35
My k-jet is cammed. Its fine as a daily 16valve had to turn idle up so ticks over at about 1500 now but doesn't bother me its still good on fuel

How does get on for the emmisions MOT time?
Title: Re: 276/268 cams too spicy for a daily?
Post by: lemski on 03 November 2010, 19:53
It was mot'd 5months ago flew through the emitions. So good. I'm thinking of getting bigger cams soon though so then we will see. (I don't know what cams are in it but there no the biggest I could have)