GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: rob.043 on 29 October 2010, 09:14
-
I started removing struts yesterday to change my springs, and have a couple of questions.
On removing a front top mount I found play in the lower bearing race. That is the small plate on the underside of the mount was loose. Does this mean it wants replaced? The rubber is otherwise ok.
I got the nut off the bolt at the bottom of the rear strut, but cant get the bolt out! It was turning, and self extracted a little, but is now stuck again and feels like its catching the rubber bush (there is a damped feel when turning with a spanner), any tips on how to get it out would be welcome!
thanks in advance, Rob
-
Get an extension bar and lift your wishbone up a little that should free the bolt. And as for the bearings, just replace them. They cost naff all.
-
if in doubt, replace the top mounts. ecp do lemforder ones which are oem quality, get G60 ones.
for rear bolts, undo the shocks at the top so you can drop the beam down, then smack it out with a hammer & drift
-
Thanks guys. I take it there is no change in the ride height with the G60 mount, they sit up into the chassis just the same? So long as thats the case i'll be off to ECP for a set.
I'll continue the fight with the remaining old bolts over the weekend...
-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150510107007&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1775wt_698
I've had no problems with these.....had to change the spring plates too which I got from the main dealer.
-
g60 mounts dont change the height no, just stronger. the mk3 gti ones above are a nice upgrade too but you need to change the spring plates for early mk3 gti plus you also need the threaded nut which holds them to the shocks. if anything the mk3 parts may raise the nose a little, but it didnt seem to make much difference on my mk2 when i fitted them.
1H0 412 341 - MK3 GTI upper spring plate, small size
1H0 412 365 A - threaded bush
N 105 352 01- top nut
-
Cool, thanks RJ. I'll go G60.
-
g60 mounts dont change the height no, just stronger. the mk3 gti ones above are a nice upgrade too but you need to change the spring plates for early mk3 gti plus you also need the threaded nut which holds them to the shocks. if anything the mk3 parts may raise the nose a little, but it didnt seem to make much difference on my mk2 when i fitted them.
1H0 412 341 - MK3 GTI upper spring plate, small size
1H0 412 365 A - threaded bush
N 105 352 01- top nut
Is the part number for the spring plate not 357 412 341???
-
thats the number for the G60 upper spring plate. the numbers in my list are for fitting MK3 top mounts
-
I got a rear strut off, after having to cut the bolt! It would only tap out so far, then just stuck fast and could not fully extract it, so the hacksaw was brought out!
Anyway, there is a small ring around the top of the damper stanchion that rests on the spring plate, does this come off? As I cant see me being able to fit new bump stops (which are needed) over the ring? (bilstein shock)
Also the rear mounts and spring mount rubber look pretty good, should I replace them anyway for a fresh set? Are the febi/bilstein ones as good as genuine ones?
-
yeah all the gubbins should come off right down to the lower spring plate. check the condition of the wee circlip fitted into a groove on the shock strut before you rebuild it all too, without this the shock will collapse and pop thru into the boot