GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Neo Badness on 28 October 2010, 14:26
-
Got an ABF sitting in the garage and would like to "turn it over by hand",
I know I'll need to remove the spark plugs and I'll need to attach a socket/ wrench somewhere. But beyond that I'm a bit flummoxed.
Any help would be great :smiley:
-
CW
Looking from the front mr pedantic. :tongue:
It will need to go on the big central nut iirc assuming you are getting it lined up for timing.
-
CW
Is that looking from the front or the back of the engine :evil: :evil:
Thom
-
Judging by the way the belts go, and the fact its FWD I'd say it goes forward, or clockwise as if you're looking at it from the front of the engine bay.
-
clockwise to go forwards and anti when its in reverse??? :laugh:
-
right you are clockwise it is, as in if you were looking in the front of the engine bay.
what bit do you attach the socket to? This may seem blindingly obvious to you guys, but bodywork is more my thing...
I imagine it'll be down on the left hand side amongst the pulleys, crank pulley?
Cheers for the replies guys :cool:
-
Crank pulley :cool:
Thom
-
Use a multi splined (not a 50p hex) 19mm socket on the bolt in the centre of the crank pulley, not the 4 or so allen key bolts that hold the pas/alt pulley to it. If ure under the front drivers side arch it turns clockwise, don't go anticlockwise cos if u do manage to slacken the bolt off/break the seal on the bolt it may loosen and kill the crank keyway, then the pulley moves, and dependin on how bad it goes u could kill valves/pistons. If I go slightly past the tdc mark, rather than go back on it,i go all the way round again to not risk loosenin it
-
Coolio, ta for info. saved a labourious search. Meant to mention engine is parked at the side of the workshop under a tarpaulin.
Heard bad things about knackered keyways. hopefully be all good though.
-
Use a multi splined (not a 50p hex) 19mm socket on the bolt in the centre of the crank pulley, not the 4 or so allen key bolts that hold the pas/alt pulley to it. If ure under the front drivers side arch it turns clockwise, don't go anticlockwise cos if u do manage to slacken the bolt off/break the seal on the bolt it may loosen and kill the crank keyway, then the pulley moves, and dependin on how bad it goes u could kill valves/pistons. If I go slightly past the tdc mark, rather than go back on it,i go all the way round again to not risk loosenin it
What weird ass 50 pence coins do you have ... they have 7 sides?!
-
He got the point across though ben
-
Either I'm being dim, or abrasive, but he's recommending a bi-hex socket over a 7 sided socket?
If anything, a standard (6 sided) hex socket, on the crank pulley, turned cw - or a splined tool on the flywheel turned acw, there's very few situations I would recommend bi-hex.
-
6 sided sockets would be better aye, but later crank bolts are 12 point, not 6 ;)
edit: oh and no danger of loosening the bolt if you turn engine anti-clockwise, its done up to uber torque. in fact if it does undo then you have saved potential engine damage by discovering an issue. can turn the engine anti-clockwise a little bit if say trying to line up the timing marks it wont effect anything. take the spark plugs out too, will save you fighting against the engine compression
-
I remember changing my main crank bolt for a MK1 bolt due to the fact they stretch rather than sheer off!
Can't remember why the later ones (MKII) sheered off and the MK1's just stretched which would save your head. Just remember to lock thread solution that bolt before torq just incase LOL!
Its defo 12 pointed I think its called triple square (4x3=12 pointed star) which should be the same as spline drive.
-
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't get a chance to have a go at the engine last night as I was too busy blowing holes in rusty metal with the MiG...
Also It's an ABF from an M reg car so 94/95ish, doubt that makes any difference though.
I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck in tonight, made up some repair panels at work today. :nerd:
Precision bodging
-
engines are actualy best left well allone when in storage. bit of white grease down the inlet and exhaust ports if there exposed and a bit of oil down the plug holes is all they ever need
if keep spinning an engine over by hand it's do more damage than good as it just helps the oil get out
-
engines are actualy best left well allone when in storage. bit of white grease down the inlet and exhaust ports if there exposed and a bit of oil down the plug holes is all they ever need
if keep spinning an engine over by hand it's do more damage than good as it just helps the oil get out
good to know , I've ignored it as been too busy choppin cancer out of the mk2. :smiley: