GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 22 October 2010, 01:02

Title: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Haribo! on 22 October 2010, 01:02
ive been searching the forum for general information on chips and the opinion seems to be that its a good idea. I looked on ebay and they range in price from around 20 quid and upwards, I don't wanna buy a really rubbish cheap on and I don't wanna spend loads extra if it isn't necessary, can anyone recommend one?
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Khare on 22 October 2010, 01:20
Don't bother with ebay or off the shelf chips, honestly.

Better save the coins and go directly to Rtech.
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Haribo! on 22 October 2010, 01:39
okies, noted :)
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Wayne on 22 October 2010, 08:52
Ebay chips are bad news, most of them leave the car running in warm up mode and can end up causing damage.
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Ben Lessani on 22 October 2010, 13:21
Can't imagine theres much to scrape from an 8v ... fit the ABF already.
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Haribo! on 22 October 2010, 13:35
Can't imagine theres much to scrape from an 8v ... fit the ABF already.

Can you imagine the questions to follow if I was to attempt such a thing? :p
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: cняis on 22 October 2010, 13:46
can erradicate digilag but caused mr old digi to pink (preignition) almost constantly.... dont bother!
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Haribo! on 22 October 2010, 13:58
can erradicate digilag but caused mr old digi to pink (preignition) almost constantly.... dont bother!

ah ok, thanks dude, il give it a miss.

I really should leave my car alone anyway :p
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: Len on 22 October 2010, 14:08
Had my car chipped and power wise it gives 3bhp max.
It does smooth the curves (power & torque) and make the car more driveable but thats all.
Title: Re: another 8v gti chip thread
Post by: tony_ack on 22 October 2010, 22:21
Had my car chipped and power wise it gives 3bhp max.
It does smooth the curves (power & torque) and make the car more driveable but thats all.

I found the opposite with mine - a bit of a hole at about 2.5k, then woosh.

I put the standard chip back in, set the CO and timing, and it was a lot smoother, with no lag.