GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: oakgreengolf on 20 October 2010, 19:25

Title: oil seals
Post by: oakgreengolf on 20 October 2010, 19:25
Ive got an abf lump in my car and is smoking. Can the oil seals be done without removing the head?. I don't really want to be disturbing the head gasket if I can help it  :smiley:
Title: Re: oil seals
Post by: Wayne on 20 October 2010, 23:33
Yes with an adaptor in the spark plug hole and compressed air.
Title: Re: oil seals
Post by: oakgreengolf on 21 October 2010, 07:12
Ok I can get hold a compressor what sort of psi would I need, secondly how do I go about compressing the springs? Cheers
Title: Re: oil seals
Post by: Ben Lessani on 21 October 2010, 23:58
Ok I can get hold a compressor what sort of psi would I need, secondly how do I go about compressing the springs? Cheers

Full 120 PSI using an airline attached to a compression tester pipe or a length of rope. This is for an 8v, but the premise is the same.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49436.msg902396#msg902396

If you go the air route, make sure the car is in gear and that the engine is in TDC - otherwise, the pressure is likely to crank the engine.
Title: Re: oil seals
Post by: oakgreengolf on 22 October 2010, 06:02
That's super mate cheers  :smiley: