GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: emery1990 on 06 October 2010, 17:40
-
Has anyone got any bad views on exhaust connectors as opposed to welding two pipes together?
-
Surely depends on what you are doing?!
If you are making a 4 branch and plan on holding the mandrel cuts together with sleeve connectors - then you fail.
If you are connecting two standard exhaust fittings together, then exhaust connectors are fine - that's what they are designed for!
-
OK ksuhd, was just bwandering whether they was classed as bodge or not!, yes ive got a new downpipe (standard) but the pipe is like 3 mm narrower than my old one so its not a snug fit in the exhaust joint, tried sleeving it, but couldnt find one the right width, only option ive got left is cut the stainless exhaust and put a smaller joining bit on :angry:
-
You're get there in the end I've got to drop mine at somepoint the rubbers need replacing and some of the connectors have rusted, out comes the blow torch :evil:
I have about 10cm from floor to splitter thats how low she was riding not surprised the underseal took a hammering! glad mines stainless aswell :rolleyes:
You might want to zinc some of that steel just stop rust from forming on the end of the stainless pipe!
-
haha yer, ill get there someday :grin: Its holding up my whole process though!!
My underseal is tired, got a massive rust whole that will prob fail the mot and cause my car to be scrap lol I just snapped my clip off, thought it was undoing!
-
Use metal gauze cut it up to shape of the hole and use "liquid metal" sets like metal plates with the gauze in place. I've done that on over zelous drain holes and the stuff looks like underseal which is handy :wink:
Just remember to treat crust rust to the metal before doing it mate!
-
So could that method fix this then http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163163.0 and no welding is needed, please say yes. Ive bought some krust and have been going mental with it lol!
-
Right thats more than a bloody hole mate its on the sill! Can you see right through it?
-
lol yer its on the sill :( I am proper f888ed off tbh, just spent loads on ms and saw some figures on a 9a engine which i got with 150bhp with MS, wtf is the 175bhp and 160lb torque i thought i would get !! And this stupid downpipe lol. and yer if i take my plastic bit off on the door i can see my feet !!
Thinking of getting it back kjet selling all the ms and get the wur mod lol!
-
OK sills are important forget everything I said about patching it up You need a MK2 Door skin cut it up and weld up that hole! No compromises no temp fix its a structral part and in a crash your Fooked if that sill gets hit!
-
It looks like it is holed right up to the sill.
If I were you, I'd remove the plastic sill cover and give it a hard poke with a pointed hammer or screwdriver. Sills are structural and you don't want to mess about.
Put the legwork in yourself for grinding/cutting/cleaning, then shape up the replacement panel with whatever overlap your welder recommends and you'll save some money.
-
It looks like it is holed right up to the sill.
If I were you, I'd remove the plastic sill cover and give it a hard poke with a pointed hammer or screwdriver. Sills are structural and you don't want to mess about.
Put the legwork in yourself for grinding/cutting/cleaning, then shape up the replacement panel with whatever overlap your welder recommends and you'll save some money.
Right Ben, fallen upon death ears! I was only shown the hole of hell! :grin:
-
haha , Ive found replacements for £20, I text dads mate whos a body man, i think he thought stuff doing that for cheap and dint reply ! lol Ill just tell passengers not to get in the front !
I saw exactly wheres the waters coming from, comes from the wheel arch area then drips off the bottom of the floor plan! Should i poke more of it then, say 2 inches along where it "looks" fine but may be rusted ?