GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: jocarl11 on 06 October 2010, 16:07

Title: Backbox question.
Post by: jocarl11 on 06 October 2010, 16:07
Hi, I'm wanting a new backbox as my old one is blowing and hangs way to low! The current exhaust is an ashleys so was wondering if a standard 16v would fit straight on or would I need to check the bore siZe at the mid section? If so does anyone know the size of the standard 16v backbox? Cheers.
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: clipperjay on 06 October 2010, 16:43
Errr if you own a 16V why would the standard box not go back on the car ok?
I'm missing something here do you mean the center box has something missing to make the Ashley fit in the first place? If your asking that! I'm not a mind reader and have no special golf x-ray visions glasses to see what you have got, without pictures to comment on fella? :wink:
If you have all the silencer boxes in the right places it shouldnt be an issue!
Jay
 
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: jocarl11 on 06 October 2010, 17:05
Ok I'll word it better, i know nothing about exhausts so wanted to know if my car has a ashleys sports exhaust right through then is the bore size Likely to have changed meaning I will need some sort of reducer? And my other question was what is the bore size of the standard 16v backbox so I can at least  compare the 2?

It's pretty clear I know nothing about exhausts by my question so why get arsey??
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: clipperjay on 06 October 2010, 17:29
Didnt mean to get arsey, just frustrated when questions are asked and nothing is really being asked?
Or if I was you I could get a pieces of string measure the diameter of the mid box pipe then ring up the seller or VAG for that matter and ask them "Mate whats the bore diameter."
You haven't said if you gonna be getting it done at garage or yourself either way I'm sure its something you can research on the net but I think its about 2" to 2.25" Either way its a an adaptor you will need and loads of decent garages will have one, but without you telling us what diameter you have how are we supposed to know?
Jay

 Ashleys might have a bore size 2.5" same as Jetex if I remember rightly?
 
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: jocarl11 on 06 October 2010, 18:06
Ok thanks I understand it might be frustrating for you but it's a little difficult to put a good question together when you hardly know what ur talkin about! Anyway thanks for the tips I will go away and measure mine (was hoping to fit myself) and phone a specialist  :huh:
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: mwep201081 on 06 October 2010, 18:09
Hi, I'm wanting a new backbox as my old one is blowing and hangs way to low! The current exhaust is an ashleys so was wondering if a standard 16v would fit straight on or would I need to check the bore siZe at the mid section? If so does anyone know the size of the standard 16v backbox? Cheers.

Not sure about bore sizes but you could find out how much a complete new standard system is and fit the whole lot in one....Just a thought
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: Wayne on 06 October 2010, 20:14
Ashley's are normally 2.5 bore so you would need to mod a standard back box to fit.
Title: Re: Backbox question.
Post by: jocarl11 on 07 October 2010, 16:42
Ashley's are normally 2.5 bore so you would need to mod a standard back box to fit.

Thanks Wayne that's the answer I was looking for  :wink: