GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: walchy01 on 05 October 2010, 17:01

Title: Starter motor query
Post by: walchy01 on 05 October 2010, 17:01
Hi there

Just wanting to know if the mk2 starter motor is the same starter motor as the 1.8 p reg Vw cab of the wife's???

Thank you
Title: Re: Starter motor query
Post by: Reasty on 05 October 2010, 17:55
I'm pretty sure mk2s have a vbelt and mk3s have a ribbed belt so not the same and not interchangable,might be wrong but pretty sure I'm right,I'm sure someone will confirm or disagree shortly  :smiley:
Title: Re: Starter motor query
Post by: Reasty on 05 October 2010, 17:59
Infact ignore me coz I'm talking out alternators DERRR! sorry didn't read the question properly! been a long day  :undecided: still don't think they are the same though and can't be interchanged.
Title: Re: Starter motor query
Post by: Ben Lessani on 05 October 2010, 20:36
If you have a rod-change box (020) - it should swap, if you have a cable change box (02A) - I don't think it does.

Just go on ECP website, check both cars for the starter motors it recommends and see if any part numbers are the same.
Title: Re: Starter motor query
Post by: rubjonny on 08 October 2010, 14:42
it will fit, only difference is the g3 has a different plug on the starter for the trigger wire. you can just push the mk2 spade onto the pin though. mk3 is a better design becasue the plug is waterproof so they dont corrode on the spade like the mk2s do