GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 01 October 2010, 20:42

Title: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: Haribo! on 01 October 2010, 20:42
If I drive without my clocks in my car, does that have any effect on the battery? I send this from the A350 where I am parked with a dead golf on the side of the road, my clocks at home in bits and my face grumpy
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 October 2010, 20:50
I would imagine that NO. It would have no effect.  But please correct me if I am worng.  Charging the battery is done directly from the alternator.  I wouldn't think having no clocks would effect it it any way.

No direct circuit to break.

 
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: Khare on 01 October 2010, 20:52
I don't think either. Clocks are an individual unit and shouldn't affect battery performance. Have you checked for Broken/damaged earth straps?
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 October 2010, 20:55
Get back to the MK3 section where you belong  :grin: :grin:

Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: X4MGS on 01 October 2010, 21:06
Should be fine - as listed above...

Poor guy wants a MK2, so coming in here make's him less of an outcast in the GTI world... :tongue:
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: Khare on 01 October 2010, 21:22
No no and I'll say it again, NO! I do NOT want another mk2, thank you very much  :smiley:
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 01 October 2010, 21:30
No no and I'll say it again, NO! I do NOT want another mk2, thank you very much  :smiley:

Denial...show he really LOVES to have MK2.

Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: Haribo! on 02 October 2010, 01:54
Turns out it does, if the alternator doesn't detect the bulb on the clocks go out then it won't charge. The breakdown guy ran a cable from my live terminal to a bit on the alternator with a bulb, it lit up and then with igntion the bulb went out and the alternator started charging again. Only problem is I have to do it every time I start the car cause it resets when you stop it. New day, new lesson. I better sort my bloody clocks out
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: rubjonny on 04 October 2010, 11:54
yep as above, no clocks = no battery chargy. sorry you had to learn that the hard way ;)
Title: Re: no clocks = no charge?
Post by: Haribo! on 04 October 2010, 13:54
yep as above, no clocks = no battery chargy. sorry you had to learn that the hard way ;)

live n learn :p