GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: img210 on 25 September 2010, 12:04

Title: Heater issues......
Post by: img210 on 25 September 2010, 12:04
When I move the heater control off of cold I get a load of smoke coming off the top of the engine block and out of the exhaust.......like the head gasket has gone.  When the heater is on cold theres no issues.

Had the hg checked and its fine.

Anyone know what the problem is ??  its getting wintery I don't want to be freezing cold in the car everytime I use it....... :sad:

EDIT the engine is an 8v digifant if that makes a difference.......
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: Ben Lessani on 25 September 2010, 16:50
This must be a joke ...

But, I'll rise to it.

The heater slider does nothing more than move a little flap inside your car - it has nothing to do with the engine, whatsoever, in-the-slightest.
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: img210 on 25 September 2010, 20:36
This must be a joke ...

But, I'll rise to it.

The heater slider does nothing more than move a little flap inside your car - it has nothing to do with the engine, whatsoever, in-the-slightest.

No joke pal, this is straight up 100% honest. I've spent a long time trying to track down the issue.

For some reason when the heater is on anything but cold I get white smoke.

Any helpful advice welcome.....
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: bodga on 25 September 2010, 21:36
only thing i can think of is when you move the heater slider, its moving some wires in the dash and causing a short????? smoke out of the exhaust is just because its cold outside

 :huh:
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: X4MGS on 25 September 2010, 22:28
If you slide the heaterswitch does this not then open up the pipes for the water from the engine to get to the heater Matrix?

Could the pipes that run into the matrix be leaking?
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: Thom89 on 25 September 2010, 22:59
If you slide the heaterswitch does this not then open up the pipes for the water from the engine to get to the heater Matrix?

Could the pipes that run into the matrix be leaking?

No, matrix stays hot all the time, sliding the heater control opens a flap that allows hot air to circulate into the car, some cars have a valve that lets hot water circulate when the system is opened....
Thom
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: X4MGS on 25 September 2010, 23:19
I did wonder if it worked that way..

So thats not the issue then!!

Could it be the matrix bypass valves?
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: cняis on 25 September 2010, 23:33
I did wonder if it worked that way..

So thats not the issue then!!

Could it be the matrix bypass valves?

the slider has nothing to do with the valves

if the valves were an issue, they be doing it all the time regardless of slider position
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: X4MGS on 25 September 2010, 23:37

the slider has nothing to do with the valves

if the valves were an issue, they be doing it all the time regardless of slider position

I Thought we had established that point...

But could it be that they are leaking or that they have been taken out and bodged?

Can't think what else it could be... You any other suggestions??
Title: Re: Heater issues......
Post by: cняis on 25 September 2010, 23:43

the slider has nothing to do with the valves

if the valves were an issue, they be doing it all the time regardless of slider position

I Thought we had established that point...

But could it be that they are leaking or that they have been taken out and bodged?

Can't think what else it could be... You any other suggestions??

its f#cked.

scrap it and buy another.

no seriously the OP needs to be telling us if it looks like steam or otherwise.

Could he be mistaking 'smoke from the engine block' as steam from the vents when the slider is moved onto hot? this would duggest a leaky heater matrix.