GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: clipperjay on 19 September 2010, 16:03
-
Ok she had not been started for about two years and gave it a try.
Fuel primes
Spark
New fuel
Was about to kick into life.
I swapped out the battery terminals for a corrado one which was the only thing I upgraded.
Here are the pictures of whats curently wired.
The question I have is just before the starter motor gave out there was some smoke I was told, as I was turning it over in the car.
Why did it gound out or burn out?
The starter copper braid earth was untouched with paint so there was a decent earth.
The main positive bolt in the picture got 12.5V to it.
The black jack is a supposed to be the earth (contuniuty test) which is connected to the starter motor red large bolt (positive)? (third picture to fourth)
The white jack is the cold start.
Not sure why the starter motor burnt out it didn't even get hot?
The starter motor doesn't even turn over anymore. :lipsrsealed:
(http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/Clipperjay/Atlas%20Grey%2016v%203dr/P1020494.jpg)
(http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/Clipperjay/Atlas%20Grey%2016v%203dr/P1020491.jpg)
(http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/Clipperjay/Atlas%20Grey%2016v%203dr/P1020492.jpg)
(http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/Clipperjay/Atlas%20Grey%2016v%203dr/P1020493.jpg)
Any suggestion would be great I'm really stumped but can't do a thing until a new starter motor comes but don't want to fry that one either???? :evil:
-
It could be it was just the starter motor's time to die.
What I can see of the wiring looks OK.
-
The wiring should all be fine if you havent touched it but much like how your brakes lock on and other parts seem to grind even after a couple of months without use the started was probally jammed and died. An easy test is to whip it off and connect it to a battery, it should spin (not super fast but enough to show life. Also a started motor is one of the very few things on a car where 'hit it with a hammer' can be applied legitimately. So go on, SMACK IT!
-
Yeah guessing it was odd for me to not get a car fired up first time! :rolleyes:
Anyone repaired a starter motor it seems simple enough, but not sure where to get the Bosch repair kits or even if its economically viable than just an exchange?
Does GSF do Lucus or Bosch ones?
-
you should have somewhere that does starter and alternator reconditioning near you take it off and give it them to refurb for you. it is a while since i had this done to anything of mine but it used to cost me £20 so your probably looking £30-£40 nowadays but cheaper than a new starter
-
Yes Richard I used to have some good old boys in there 60's do all my alternators and starter rebuilds but they died! Or retired :grin:
Its not that much to them if I can order the refurb kit windings and bushes thats all they are after all?
-
Camberley do Bosch items.. Where in the country are you though, saying that? GSF I think do Jacobson and Lucas whitebox cack. Go Bosch or go home! Oh and not ECP Bosch - a lot of its made in India under license..
Same witht heir cheap ass Pagid range.. it aint pagid, its reboxed under the Pagid UK name in that dark blue packaging.. A amte has the pads on his car, first set burnt up and second set jsut dont do anything.. Dangerous :undecided:
-
Camberley do Bosch items.. Where in the country are you though, saying that? GSF I think do Jacobson and Lucas whitebox cack. Go Bosch or go home! Oh and not ECP Bosch - a lot of its made in India under license..
Same witht heir cheap ass Pagid range.. it aint pagid, its reboxed under the Pagid UK name in that dark blue packaging.. A amte has the pads on his car, first set burnt up and second set jsut dont do anything.. Dangerous :undecided:
I'm down in Surrey Gatwick end!
We think alike my mate!
I'll ring GSF find out how much it really is for a Bosch unit.
If I have to go cheap ass Mintex has served me well over the years other wise Green stuff can't go wrong!
-
Yes Richard I used to have some good old boys in there 60's do all my alternators and starter rebuilds but they died! Or retired
sound like the place i use its a father and son set up and last time i was down there the father looked about 70 and that was a few years ago
its a shame when place like these dissapear
-
If you're in surrey you probably have a Camberley branch in fair distance of you! Worth a phonecall - used to deal with them all day every day as a supplier in my last job. They have one of the biggest Bosch accounts in the UK thus can be very competitive!
-
Yeah guessing it was odd for me to not get a car fired up first time! :rolleyes:
Anyone repaired a starter motor it seems simple enough, but not sure where to get the Bosch repair kits or even if its economically viable than just an exchange?
I've repaired a couple in my time, usually nothing more complex than new bell housing bush, clean up the armature contacts, replace the bushes and replace the solenoid +ve braided strap.
Bear in mind that earth is just for the solenoid, you need a healthy gearbox earth for the starter itself.
When you turn the key, it should at least clunk - that will tell you the solenoid is working. If it doesn't clunk, then the solenoid might be dead. Use a bridge wire direct from the battery to the +ve trigger on the solenoid. If it doesn't make a noise again, whack it with a plastic mallet, if it still doesn't make a noise, then it almost definitely has packed in.
You can strip the solenoid down really easily and make sure it hasn't corroded and seized. If it has, a quick blast with sandpaper and some moly grease should do you fine - then try again and see if it works.
The starter is slightly harder to refurb, but not impossible, just a case of dismantling everything you can see, the bushes should have a minimum of 11mm IIRC.
No harm dismantling it and having a look. I managed to get another 8 months out of my step dads with a quick clean and degrease (which costs nothing). I got a refurb at a local place on my one on the golf after I thought I broke it when the output shaft was wiggling. It turns out the output shaft should be loose, it centres on the bell housing bush in the gearbox.
-
I got a refurb at a local place on my one on the golf after I thought I broke it when the output shaft was wiggling. It turns out the output shaft should be loose, it centres on the bell housing bush in the gearbox.
Recon units will usually come with a new bush :smiley:
-
Checked the gearbox --> chassis --> battery earth straps? Screwdriver to bridge the starter motor contacts should at least give you a 'clunk' to show the solenoid is working...
-
Yeah its dead as a dodo!
Just rang a place they have a Bosch exchange unit for £55 local to me so checking costs of new windings I'm for the bosch exchange with one years warrantee included I'm guessing!