GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: the_stink on 18 September 2010, 10:09

Title: New wheels fitted
Post by: the_stink on 18 September 2010, 10:09
Had a trip down to Protyre this morning and had my new wheels and tyres fitted

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5000869120_b02828aa9e_b.jpg)

Also found out while i was there that i need new front topmounts and new rear wheel bearings, so need to do this before they can do the wheel alignement :P
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: clipperjay on 18 September 2010, 10:23
Needs a drop of 20mm rear and front, but otherwise great looking stance your creating there mate :cool:
Jay
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: the_stink on 18 September 2010, 10:29
Needs a drop of 20mm rear and front, but otherwise great looking stance your creating there mate :cool:
Jay


yeah was thinking it could go a little lower once ive sorted a few other things out will look into some collies :)
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 18 September 2010, 11:18
Looking good!!
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: emery1990 on 18 September 2010, 11:52
Yer looks good mate  :wink:

It is oak green isnt it ? confused on what colour i would want my wheels, grey looks good though!
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: dan_apps on 18 September 2010, 13:54
looks good stinker! front top mounts easy enough job, are the rear bearings bolloxed then? is it making noise or do they just need tightening up?
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: Wayne on 18 September 2010, 20:12
Looks spot on.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: richw911 on 18 September 2010, 20:45
Looks sweet  bud :cool: :cool: :cool:
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: Diamond Hell on 18 September 2010, 22:37
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: jamrock on 18 September 2010, 22:47
 :cool: :cool:
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 19 September 2010, 00:01
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.

VAG only sell MK3 Top mounts now... All others have been dropped and replaced with the MK3's...

I would fit new bumpstops whilst it all in bits!!

Only buy VAG Bearings (So I have bee told) and they arn't dear... Just bought mine from TPS
191 598 625   REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT   Retail 25.39    My Cost 17.77 EACH
Plus VAT!!
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: cняis on 19 September 2010, 00:07
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.

VAG only sell MK3 Top mounts now... All others have been dropped and replaced with the MK3's...

I would fit new bumpstops whilst it all in bits!!

Only buy VAG Bearings (So I have bee told) and they arn't dear... Just bought mine from TPS
191 598 625   REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT   Retail 25.39    My Cost 17.77 EACH
Plus VAT!!

I recall mine cost about £8 each plus vat

non genuine mind you.

they havent fallen off yet.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 19 September 2010, 00:16
Ok so you save £8.00 a side...

If they last half as long you have to pay to get them fitted twice... Bet they don't cost £8.00 to fit...

Sorry But Its A No Brainer To Me...
 
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.

VAG only sell MK3 Top mounts now... All others have been dropped and replaced with the MK3's...

I would fit new bumpstops whilst it all in bits!!

Only buy VAG Bearings (So I have bee told) and they arn't dear... Just bought mine from TPS
191 598 625   REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT   Retail 25.39    My Cost 17.77 EACH
Plus VAT!!

I recall mine cost about £8 each plus vat

non genuine mind you.

they havent fallen off yet.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: cняis on 19 September 2010, 00:34
im not worried about longevity aftermarket bearings as
a) they take little time to fit (and i've recently done them myself)
b) i do a low milage (120 miles a week)
c) we keep copy bearing kits on the shelf (i work in a factors)  :tongue:
d) seeing the quality of some genuine parts really does make me wonder  :undecided: i.e. we ordered a new genuine water flange on a diesel audi a4 and the quality of the mould was crap, the plastic looked like it was made in china, i.e. seemed a bit brittle... :laugh:
e) seeing as i was arse-raped for genuine sill cover supporting brackets and strips, even after trade discount, they can keep their genuine parts  :grin:
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 19 September 2010, 01:02
 :cool: For You....

After my recent experience with aftermarket parts I won't be using them again....

I've had to replace both temp senders and front shocks...

And £16.00 won't get you 4 wheels taken off at a garage these days... It's also the agro of finding out whats gone wrong....

Just not worth it IMO...
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: dan_apps on 19 September 2010, 10:20
like you chris i go for aftermarket MAINLY! bearings and the like i havent had any issues with, i know Ben Lessani had alot of issues with aftermarket, wasnt that to do with cooling system though?
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: Diamond Hell on 19 September 2010, 18:55
So do VAG sprinkle their parts with fairy dust or something to make them that good?

The thing is that many of the aftermarket 'BQ' (best quality for those who are hard of thinking) are made to the same standard as genuine in the same factory they're just stamped with things like 'BERU' or other well known specialist manufacturer's names instead of 'VAG'. 

That's it.  It's not complicated and in many cases it's simply not worth the premium.

If you have a newer car and you were paying a specialist to fit a bearing instead of fitting genuine then I'd say you were getting bargain basement and yep, you might be back there again in 12months, but if you buy smart and branded then you'll be fine. 

I only buy genuine if I absolutely cannot get what I want from a specialist, I don't seem to have many failures and it's not like I drive gently.

Spend the least possible and you'll always have problems, but buy a good brand and you'll very likely be just fine.  :rolleyes:
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: cняis on 19 September 2010, 23:33

The thing is that many of the aftermarket 'BQ' (best quality for those who are hard of thinking) are made to the same standard as genuine in the same factory they're just stamped with things like 'BERU' or other well known specialist manufacturer's names instead of 'VAG'. 


As we say in our job, "its all dug up from the same hole in the ground!"

Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 20 September 2010, 00:32
Each to thier own... I don't have bucket loads of time to find out what or what isn't an OEM supplier & if it was that simple we would all be doing it!!!

Rear Bearings... You tell me who the OEM supplier is and get me a price that is near to the aftermarket ones and then give me a cast iron gaurentee that they will last as long as the VAG ones...

My Mechanic has worked for VAG for a number of years and he has suggested to me to buy VAG as in his vast experiance they last much longer than any others... That could be bullsh!t just so he dont have to replace them FOC when they go wrong... Or it could JUST be YEARS of experiance with working with VAG parts....

Sorry but you can keep your fairy dust and sprinkle it on your private parts and see if they work better...

I will stick with OEM parts that are proven to do the job....

So do VAG sprinkle their parts with fairy dust or something to make them that good?

The thing is that many of the aftermarket 'BQ' (best quality for those who are hard of thinking) are made to the same standard as genuine in the same factory they're just stamped with things like 'BERU' or other well known specialist manufacturer's names instead of 'VAG'. 

That's it.  It's not complicated and in many cases it's simply not worth the premium.

If you have a newer car and you were paying a specialist to fit a bearing instead of fitting genuine then I'd say you were getting bargain basement and yep, you might be back there again in 12months, but if you buy smart and branded then you'll be fine. 

I only buy genuine if I absolutely cannot get what I want from a specialist, I don't seem to have many failures and it's not like I drive gently.

Spend the least possible and you'll always have problems, but buy a good brand and you'll very likely be just fine.  :rolleyes:
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: Diamond Hell on 20 September 2010, 14:02
I will stick with OEM parts that are proven to do the job....

Here is a consignment of FAIL shipped in specifically for your confidence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035

As the man here says - you can't trust genuine parts until they're in boxes with proper security and tamperproofing:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=162949.0

As things like brake pads are *sort of important* in stopping my car, I'd rather buy my kit from a supplier who takes this rather more seriously.

HTHs.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 20 September 2010, 14:21
Hummm Interesting... Hence why I do buy from a dealership and not off the bay of tat...

I will stick with OEM parts that are proven to do the job....

Here is a consignment of FAIL shipped in specifically for your confidence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035

As the man here says - you can't trust genuine parts until they're in boxes with proper security and tamperproofing:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=162949.0

As things like brake pads are *sort of important* in stopping my car, I'd rather buy my kit from a supplier who takes this rather more seriously.

HTHs.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: Mew on 20 September 2010, 16:11

Rear Bearings... You tell me who the OEM supplier is and get me a price that is near to the aftermarket ones and then give me a cast iron gaurentee that they will last as long as the VAG ones...


FAG, apparently. Available from GSF
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: Diamond Hell on 20 September 2010, 18:31
Hummm Interesting... Hence why I do buy from a dealership and not off the bay of tat...

THUNK

This is the sound of you missing the point of that post.

THE PARTS WERE FROM MAIN DEALERS!

ECP and GSF have their parts in properly secured boxes with these security measures, so are probably a safer bet.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: cняis on 20 September 2010, 20:19
Besides its only a wheel bearing. There's nothing to them, theyre hardly likely to go wrong any sooner than genuine.

Let me ask you this

what spark plugs do you buy?

the VW plugs i had in my VR6 had BERU stamped on them. why you can buy from any old factors.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: X4MGS on 20 September 2010, 21:26
Don't fink I missed the point!!

The BBC Info says the tip off came from VAG not that the parts were supplied by a dealer...

The thread implies that, but that could just be hear say and is not backed up with factual info...

Hummm Interesting... Hence why I do buy from a dealership and not off the bay of tat...

THUNK

This is the sound of you missing the point of that post.

THE PARTS WERE FROM MAIN DEALERS!

ECP and GSF have their parts in properly secured boxes with these security measures, so are probably a safer bet.
Title: Re: New wheels fitted
Post by: cняis on 20 September 2010, 21:34
One thing i will say in defense of genuine is...

...aftermarket bushes can be utter crap. my rear beam bushes fell apart within 12 months, supplied by camberly apparently! So i'd only buy Febi or genuine in that case.  :smiley: