GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 15 September 2010, 19:06

Title: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 15 September 2010, 19:06
I found this image, but my switches are proper ones and the spades run parallel, anyone know how this would translate across to normal switches?

(http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3267/switchpeg.jpg)
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Sam. on 15 September 2010, 21:27
Your switches sound like they aren't genuine. That diagram is for genuine VW switches
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 15 September 2010, 21:28
Your switches sound like they aren't genuine. That diagram is for genuine VW switches

really?  ah well

Either way, ive done it now.

Just trying to work out how to add a relay, got any idea?
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Sam. on 15 September 2010, 22:14
(http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6486/29559829.jpg)
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 15 September 2010, 22:24
I think I understand that, so my earth stays earthed, and my ign live goes to the relay which then goes to a permanent live, and ign live and an earth?

Sorry, im not big on electrics.

This picture is exactly what I needed tho by the looks of it :D might save it to the old hard drive.


Cheers dude.
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: tony_ack on 16 September 2010, 00:48
I think I understand that, so my earth stays earthed, and my ign live goes to the relay which then goes to a permanent live, and ign live and an earth?


Kind of, but it's easier to understand if you turn it on its head a little.

If you introduce a relay, you will need 3 wires entering the relay from the fusebox area:
-Ignition Live (goes to pin D9 in CE2 fusebox if using VW loom)
-Permanent Live (original loom plugs into one of the red connectors on the top corner of the fusebox)
-Earth (plugs into one of the spare connectors below the steering column)

As you currently have no relay, you will only have two wires coming from the fusebox area - the earth, and then either a permanent live or ignition live depending on where you wired it up to. On the loom that I removed from my car, the person who installed it had spliced into the heated rear window live as this is one of the few non-essential circuits that carries sufficient current relatively safely (though not sufficient enough as he had to put in a higher rated fuse)

So if you do install the relay you will need to run the extra live to the fusebox.

You then have one live and one earth coming out of the relay, going to the switches

By the way - the diagram looks slightly wrong to me - the fuse should be between the fusebox and the relay, the earth from the switches should return through the relay and in addition the loom is independent of the parking lights (the switch illumination is part of the ignition live circuit and therefore the switches always illuminate when the ignition is on. Oh, and I suspect your switches are the correct ones.
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 16 September 2010, 08:50
ah ok, well, heres my plan,

There was a black wire that RJ told me about hanging off the back of the fuse box, this isnt used for anything so I used it for my ign live as thats what it is.  thats the only live feed my electric window set up is getting at the moment.

Upon adding the relay I was goign to plug the live into plug Y on one of the spare slots( I think thats the same place you mentioned)

And earth to the earth claw, I already have a fuse in between my switches and ign live so I Could move that to in between the relay and fusebox or just add the other one ive got so then il have two.

as for the earth location that you mentioned, how do I run it back through the relay?  do I just plug it into 86 from the switches and then back off it to the earth claw?
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 16 September 2010, 09:22
ok I phoned maplins asking about a relay, I gave them as much info as I knew (that didnt take me long)  and they couldnt help without me telling them what power rating or amp rating..whatever that is, that it needs to be..?
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 16 September 2010, 09:29
is this adequate for the job?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=6436
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Sam. on 16 September 2010, 19:48
Yes. If you want to keep it OEM you could grab a no. 53 relay from nearly any VW at a scrappy  :smiley:
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 16 September 2010, 22:17
There's an electrical engineer in the Off Topic Thread looking for work.  With all your recent posts, perhaps you should bung him a few quid.
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 16 September 2010, 23:28
There's an electrical engineer in the Off Topic Thread looking for work.  With all your recent posts, perhaps you should bung him a few quid.


Nah, I think I get it now :p
Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: tony_ack on 17 September 2010, 00:05
Sorry, forget the bit about the earth going back through the relay - I meant to say that it follows the loom back to the earth point near the fusebox (i.e. there is no connection to an earth point near the switches)

40A relay should be more than enough, in theory it needn't be any higher rating than your highest rated fuse on the circuit.

Title: Re: Making an electric window loom
Post by: Haribo! on 17 September 2010, 00:35
Sorry, forget the bit about the earth going back through the relay - I meant to say that it follows the loom back to the earth point near the fusebox (i.e. there is no connection to an earth point near the switches)

40A relay should be more than enough, in theory it needn't be any higher rating than your highest rated fuse on the circuit.



ok, someone told me on here that im better off just nabbing a 53 relay out of a vw, look like im gonna go with that, theres a scrappy dead close to to so winnnnn.

by the end of tomorrow I should be finished with this particular dilemma , cheers to all you patient and less than patient peoples ;p