GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: the_stink on 14 September 2010, 08:03
-
Finally got a reply from a seller on ebay said £40 delivered does that sound a bit pricey?
Need to get a photo of it first but its in alpine white which is fine as it will be resprayed, the passenger wing I dont thing can be repaired as its dented right on the crease at the front (from my accident when i first got the car)
-
I got a pattern wing for £15 from ECP 4 years ago.
Genuine wings could be any price (supply/demand), especially with what people deem rare!
-
Finally got a reply from a seller on ebay said £40 delivered does that sound a bit pricey?
Need to get a photo of it first but its in alpine white which is fine as it will be resprayed, the passenger wing I dont thing can be repaired as its dented right on the crease at the front (from my accident when i first got the car)
depends on condition, I got a mk1 wing for 20 after a long wait finding the right one at the right price but needed work... 40 delivered sounds fine delivered if its in good condition??. Cheaper than a patern panel! you should be able to fix the other one, i have the same problem with my drivers doorm big dent right in the crease line!... watch my thread, i'm fixing it soon!
-
I would pay £40 for a genuine second hand wing if it was rot and rust free, and in the right colour for my car.
It may be worth you holding out for an Oak Green one - they're not as rare as you may think but you'll probably have to wait a few months for one to come up.
-
If its a VAG OEM - Rust Free etc - sounds ok to me...
Patten ones just don't fit properly.
I am told that its very difficult to take off an OEM one without bending it...
So make sure its 100% and off the car before handing over the dosh...
-
Patten ones just don't fit properly.
Bit of a bold statement, mine fits fine ... with better shut lines than factory VAG
-
Patten ones just don't fit properly.
Bit of a bold statement, mine fits fine ... with better shut lines than factory VAG
Might well be... But a true one...
When I took my car to be resprayed last year, the first thing the body shop guys noticed was that the passenger side wing was a patten one as it did not fit properly....
3 of the guys who work there are all long term dubbers and have done a number of cars that have featured in national mags etc... and they say that this is a common problem...
So I got a brand new one from the stealers and they fitted it... and I have to say that I can now see what they meant...
You might be happy with yours and thats great for you... But it wasn't good enough for me!! :rolleyes:
-
its not just fitment issues though, i'm sure there are some people who have found a pattern panel that is fine, my other concern is that they are usually made with the sh*test quality steel, wont last.....
-
I'm not a fan of pattern parts they really need jiggin to fit, by the time they have jigged it and stuck loads of filler to mate the edges its better to buy second hand rot free £40 not bad I would pay that as long as its well wrapped and has fragile stickers all over it as postal jobbies are a tad harsh handling with pannels LOL :grin:
-
I would never consider fitting a pattern wing to my car, not seen a good one yet!
Joe, make sure that the wing that your buying is a genuine VW stamped wing, it should have the VW logo along the top edge, near the 2nd wing bolt closest to the windscreen, if it doesn't have that stamp, then its a pattern panel! in which case you may as well get a new pattern panel for similar money... If your original panel is repairable, and rust free, why not go down that route?
thom
-
I would never consider fitting a pattern wing to my car, not seen a good one yet!
Joe, make sure that the wing that your buying is a genuine VW stamped wing, it should have the VW logo along the top edge, near the 2nd wing bolt closest to the windscreen, if it doesn't have that stamp, then its a pattern panel! in which case you may as well get a new pattern panel for similar money... If your original panel is repairable, and rust free, why not go down that route?
thom
cheers for all the replies guys, im waiting for a photo of the wing before i go any further, ill post up a pic of the dmg to my wing, if it can be repaired ill get it done
-
I picked up a brand new front wing for my MK2 Gti last week. It came straight from VW in Dublin, its primed in black, and costs €110 inc VAT