GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: kevjenkins on 13 September 2010, 17:55

Title: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: kevjenkins on 13 September 2010, 17:55
My golf gti has delveoped a noise over the last 2 weeks since i changed the lower arms!
i have since found that the bolt to the rear of the arm is just spining and i think the capivated nut has come away!!!! inside the chassis.

QUESTION CAN I GET TO THIS NUT ??????????????????
thanks guys in advance!!! :kiss:
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Thom89 on 13 September 2010, 18:25
iirc you have to cut a small hole in the floor, also, iirc VW did a mod to cope with this problem... Im sure someone else will chip in if I've got it wrong

Thom
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Ben Lessani on 13 September 2010, 19:15
Sounds more like you didn't put the metal washer thing on the rear bolt.

Edit: Ignore the above, I mis-read your post, let me dig out the repair thread by RJ
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Ben Lessani on 13 September 2010, 19:18
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=119517.0
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: cняis on 13 September 2010, 21:21
bought my 1st gti like it, as said above the carpet will have to come up, cut a hole in the footwell and weld another nut inside the chassis leg.

got mine done for about £85 inc vat.

if you grab the offending wheel, you should be able to move it freely to and fro  :shocked:
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: kevjenkins on 15 September 2010, 08:25
I did it as per instruction BUT instead of payin someone else to do it i nipped down to machine mart got a welder!(£74) and its all good now nice and tight as she used to be!!??!??!?!?!
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Ben Lessani on 15 September 2010, 10:48
I'd be impressed if you got sufficient penetration with a £74 welder :rolleyes:
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Horney on 15 September 2010, 11:06
I'd be impressed if you got sufficient penetration with a £74 welder :rolleyes:

It only needs to be tacked to stop it spinning though surely?

Nick
Title: Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by: Ben Lessani on 15 September 2010, 12:50
I guess, but its a fair whack of torque for the rear subframe bolts.