GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: ramps on 12 September 2010, 09:03
-
Hello, so last night I was putting the car back together put the nearside drive shaft on fine but when iI come to doing the other side the gearbox end of the drive shaft fell apart, I managed to get the balls back into the cage and the outer cover thing on but it was stuck solid so it wouldnt roll around lik it should. Is ther a certain way of doing it because I can only see one way of putting it back together?
-
get a new cv joint mate, not worth trying to repair old one, and a driveshaft smashing thru the gearbox will only cost more money.
-
Gutted! do you know if any driveshaft off a mk2 will fit or will it have to be a gti one? the gearbox has a green endcap on it if that makes a differance?
-
I would have thought the GTI driveshafts would be much thicker.
-
putting cv joints backtogether is dark art. youve done the hard bit of getting the balls in, now all you have to is tap the outer about about a bit so teh balls settel where they should be and it'll be fine
-
but I have been beating it wirh a soft hamer trying to get it right! Am I not beating hard enough?
-
they often need a good tap to perswade them to move again, describeing how hard to hit somethgin is tricky tho
-
Gutted! do you know if any driveshaft off a mk2 will fit or will it have to be a gti one? the gearbox has a green endcap on it if that makes a differance?
8v and 16v are different sizes
-
as already said for what they cost get a new one not worth arsing about trying to fix the old one and end up doing the job twice :laugh:
-
I think I may have to try fixing it as there is no one with mk2 parts is in the north! we'll see what happens
-
i had the problem they only go back together a certain way i couldnd fix so went and bought a new one
-
all 1.8 shafts are the same, carb, gti and 16v. 1.6 have 90mm inner cvs, and 1.3 are wrong length