GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Haribo! on 10 September 2010, 10:56
-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Golf-Jetta-MK2-LED-speedo-heater-switch-kit-/200495024792?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eae6f4a98#ht_2165wt_989
Any good?
-
Yes I've bought this kit - comes with everything you need. Along as you take your time and can solder you should be fine.
-
Yes I've bought this kit - comes with everything you need. Along as you take your time and can solder you should be fine.
Are they noticeably brighter? the picture examples further down the page dont look too impressive
-
Yes they are. I didn't do my clocks though.
-
had a go and gave up cos i could nt solder them and i dont tiny fingers
-
had blue LEDs fitted to my clocks on my old mk2.
the light wasnt spread particularly well, and overall seemed dimmer.
the LED switches were brighter however
-
Switches are ok. But for the clocks you want Metal Monkey dials with EL foil backing for that "Audi" look.
Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUWOtdnMW_k&feature=related
-
Switches are ok. But for the clocks you want Metal Monkey dials with EL foil backing for that "Audi" look.
Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUWOtdnMW_k&feature=related
I want what that guys got!! :D
-
Ive been looking at the metal monkey site and im thinking black finish with white backing, I know I probably sound foolish but is the backing the numbers?
-
Get some EL foil and place that over the clocks. Then place the metalmonkey dials on top. Use the red illuminated needles, simples.
-
whats EL foil and where do I get red illuminated needles? :p
-
Electro luminescent foil. You cut it to shape and pass a current through it to light it up. They use it in signs. The german chap in the video used Porche needles. They are lit by LED's
Much better using EL than LED's as you get equal light spread, LED's give you bright spots.
http://www.metal-monkey.co.uk/acatalog/
http://www.wunschtacho.de/fileadmin/wunschtacho/download/einbau/allgemein_en/Manual%20LightFoil%20EL%20Foil.pdf
http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_uk/~flN0YXRlPTE4NjMwMDE4MjM=?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&glb_user_js=Y&shop=UK&zhmmh_lfo=&zhmmh_area_kz=&product_show_id=184070&gvlon=&p_init_ipc=X&p_page_to_display=fromoutside&~cookies=1&cookie_n[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=8V&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Wed%2c+13-Oct-2010+17%3a23%3a33+GMT&scrwidth=1024
-
hmm for someone that isnt very clued up on this sort of thing, it looks like a massively time consuming and confusing task...
-
Cut the foil to shape. Put it over the dials. Then put the Metal Monley dails on top. Take the feed from the dash bulbs to the EL foil. Bit it of wire, bit of solder. Job done.
Same with the needles, or just paint them red
-
hmmm, ok, may attempt it if its that simple.
I want those light up needles, any idea where I can get em? I tried eBay :(
-
how does the light from the foil get thru the metal dials?
-
I think you should change your name from Haribo to "Mr. Questions", my 8 yr old little brother asks fewer questions than you!
-
And your name to Mr intolerant? :p
Can your 8 year old tell me a good place to get some EL foil?
-
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&expIds=17050,25657,25900,26441,26486,26490,26502,26518&xhr=t&q=electroluminescent+foil&cp=22&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=z2X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
-
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&expIds=17050,25657,25900,26441,26486,26490,26502,26518&xhr=t&q=electroluminescent+foil&cp=22&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=z2X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
Cheers, was that your handy work or your little brothers? :smug:
-
how does the light from the foil get thru the metal dials?
The metal dials have the numbers cut out, the foil when lit shines through.
-
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&expIds=17050,25657,25900,26441,26486,26490,26502,26518&xhr=t&q=electroluminescent+foil&cp=22&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=z2X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf
Cheers, was that your handy work or your little brothers? :smug:
Its from the person helping your lazy ass.
-
Alright stressy pants. as usual, thanks for the help, not to mention the entertaining attitude :)
-
:kiss:
-
how does the light from the foil get thru the metal dials?
The metal dials have the numbers cut out, the foil when lit shines through.
Cheers mate, I thought that might be the case but it seemed abit far fetched, shows what I know :)
-
do you have an 8v or a 16v? i have some metal monkey 8v dials, but then i put a 16v in so didnt get round to fitting. i ordered em special so they are back lightable, just need some el foil to complete the job
-
8v, I've gone and bought a set from metal monkeys along with a heater panel, all in black and prepared for EL backing :D