GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: X4MGS on 08 September 2010, 16:41

Title: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: X4MGS on 08 September 2010, 16:41
I am thinking about fitting a set of Brand New G60 Calipers & 280mm Discs to my Run Out Digi 8V

What I would like to know is - Will I need to put new hubs on ??

Is there a way of checking - measuring - to see if my hubs are ready to just bolt on the Carriers and Calipers....

Ta
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: Mew on 08 September 2010, 16:48
If you're current discs are the standard 239mm then yes you will need new hubs.

Visual check would show whether or not the caliper carriers are part of the wheel bearing housing. If they are then they're the 8v hubs, which need to be changed.
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: jmsheahan on 08 September 2010, 17:07
Easiest way to check is to see if the carrier is cast onto the hub i.e standard 8v 239mm.  If it's removable then you have the basic hubs you need.
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: X4MGS on 08 September 2010, 18:38
Yeah cast on... So Staying Stock!!

Also due to the fact that my Boge turbo shocks (less that 1k old) are leaking so need new ones....  :angry:  :cry:

This time going wit OEM....  :smiley:
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: jmsheahan on 08 September 2010, 20:10
You are going to need the 16v hubs with removable carrier to fit the G60's then.
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: X4MGS on 08 September 2010, 20:17
Yeah so I gather... Thanks

They are staying stock...
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: Mr Blue on 08 September 2010, 22:10
I got my set of robiwil here for a good price.

they were mk3.5 cabrio hubs (4 stud)
mk3 gti (280mm brake version) calipers and carriers
brand new g60 disks and pads.

Bolt on job. Had no problems with the caliper touching the wheel. No need to run thinner pads etc.
Much better braking over the 239's!

I have kept my standard brake master cylinder but after speaking to RJ I think I might upgrade it as this should give me less pedal travel.

budget for lazer wheel alignment, new bearings, track rod ends and other bushes you might need to replace.

Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: X4MGS on 09 September 2010, 00:01
I have kept my standard brake master cylinder but after speaking to RJ I think I might upgrade it as this should give me less pedal travel.

budget for lazer wheel alignment, new bearings, track rod ends and other bushes you might need to replace.

Which is another reason to leave it stock!!

Its not like my Audi S2 which suffered terrible brake fade... I'v e never has an issue with it, so it's staying standard!!
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: jmsheahan on 09 September 2010, 15:49
But 239 8v brakes suck  :lipsrsealed:  :laugh:
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: X4MGS on 09 September 2010, 16:52
But 239 8v brakes suck  :lipsrsealed:  :laugh:

Mine Are Fine But they are all OEM and well looked after!!

Like all things If you look after them they should be fine... and as I've said before if I wanna go really fast i'll pop out in the Audi!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: dan_apps on 12 September 2010, 11:25
a good set of pads, discs new fluid helps alot, i put green stuff pads and brembo discs on mine and it felt alot better.
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: emery1990 on 12 September 2010, 11:46
I read on some forum cant remeber what one, had loads on info on brakes etc, was saying theres no point in buying £100+ discs as they are all the same and too spend your money on pads and fluid change? Anyone agree with that, i hope its not true after forking out for black diamonds! which are slowly rusting  :cry:
Title: Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
Post by: Ben Lessani on 12 September 2010, 16:47
Yeah GSF. They don't have them on the website for the 8v, but my local branch (Glasgow/Pollokshaws road) had them in stock.

Pad:                       Average Stopping Distance:

Standard OE VW Pads       34.4m
Frenzi Italia                       32.3m
Pagid T4151                      31.6m
Pagid FR4151                    30.7m
Ferodo DS2000                  32.7m
Brembo                             31.8m
G-Force Sport                    30.5m
Formula Pads                     32.7m
OMP 961k                         30.7m
Mintex 1144                       26.9m

GSF part no. was 64313