GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: bosco on 08 September 2010, 09:06

Title: harnesses
Post by: bosco on 08 September 2010, 09:06
i no this is a stupid question but i want to run harnesses in my car but where do you get that bar that goes across behind the back seats from the seat belt joints?
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: Horney on 08 September 2010, 09:40
Custom made usually. DO NOT use a rear strut brace as this is not designed for this puprose.

Pop into the motorsport/trackday section and have a nosey in there, plenty of info floating about.

Nick
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: Diamond Hell on 08 September 2010, 14:00
Why do you want to run harnesses?  Why not buy a CG-Lock for your belt? (Google it).

Done properly harnesses need proper buckets and proper mounting points around the shell, where needed.

Custom made usually. DO NOT use a rear strut brace as this is not designed for this puprose.

 :grin:

Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: Horney on 08 September 2010, 14:02
What's so funny about that?

nick
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: Diamond Hell on 08 September 2010, 22:41
I've seen morons do it and been quite frightened about how unbelievably stupid some people can be - thinking that a strut-brace which attaches with minimal fixings to the suspension strut tops would be strong enough to restrain two people in a crash.  :rolleyes:
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: Horney on 08 September 2010, 22:45
Ah I thought you were laughing at me, ha ha. I was wondering what stupid thing I had said now.

Nick
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: re2 on 12 September 2010, 16:56
is it safe to use an original rear belt fixing point? I know its only one of the 3 points used. Im guessing not really
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: fishnchipsx2 on 12 September 2010, 20:41
I'd like to see what can be done on a budget in a mk1 Caddy.  But I guess I won't, cos they make sh!t track cars  :grin:
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: bosco on 13 September 2010, 00:21
where would be the best fixing points for stress plates and eye bolts for harnesses?
Title: Re: harnesses
Post by: Diamond Hell on 13 September 2010, 14:43
is it safe to use an original rear belt fixing point? I know its only one of the 3 points used. Im guessing not really

No.  You're going down at approx, or over 45 deg.  In a crash the harness will try and compress your spine.  Hideous, nasty, dumbf*ck idea used in WAAAAY too many cars as a shortcut.  You should have a harness bar in the cage that you need to install to get the 0-10 degrees angle which is best practice (see the MSA Blue Book for full details).

where would be the best fixing points for stress plates and eye bolts for harnesses?

Mounting plates should be welded to the shell underneath, so the nut is on the underside.  See the Blue Book for detailed recommendations concerning this stuff.

Rummage at: http://www.msauk.org/ for further details instead of relying on other people's half-assed nolidge.

B*ggering about with your seat and belts is a stupid thing to do in a half-a$$ed manner.  Do not enter into it lightly.