GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: lingl9z on 03 September 2010, 18:25
-
Hi guys i've been offered a ported and polished head for my Mk2 GTI 16v and was wondering how much it'd cost roughtly for someone to simply swap it over? (bare inmind the head has everything in already aswell as being skimmed - Also how hard isit to DIY bare in mind I've not done it before?
Rich.
-
Before you fit the head, get it crack tested, It could be a pile of scrap! a reasonable mechanic should take around 3-4 hours to swap it over, so somewhere between £100-£150ish should see it done with the bits and vat on top
Also bare in mind that the work that has been carried out to the head, may not be the best set up for the rest of your engine! but you wont know till tried :rolleyes:
Thom
-
that's not too bad I guess, crack tested? how do i do that ? and thanks buddy.
-
i did one the other day took me a hour fella do it your self dnt be afraid :tongue:
-
Lol I'd attempt it and the car won't start! if someone was here to guide me through it maybe lol :P come do mine!! :)
-
its a piece of piss you cant go wrong
-
I'm a newb at this kinda thing though and my golfs my daily driver so would need it done in a day (knowing me I'll come accross some problem! :(
-
If I can get the head think I might attempt this my self is there a guide to doing this anywhere and what tools will I need? If I can get away with getting the bus to work for a lil while then I don't mind attempting and taking a while! =)
-
Heh. know the feeling bout not coming across a problem cos its your daily, it allways goes wrong for me.
Your biggest problem will be the exhaust,you can undo the manifold but its a squeeze for your hands and tools because you ll have to take the inlet manifold off aswell or you can go for the downpipe which is 6 bolts i think.Either way they re gonna be a pain in the ass to get off.When i did mine i took it to a garage to get the downpipe bolts loosened which resulted in 2 snapping even with heat on them.
Not the end of the world though i just took the manifold with the snapped ones in(once the head was off) to someone who could heat them and get them out. Vw stock the nuts and bolts luckily.
Youll need a big allen headed tool or star drive for the head bolts cant remember what size though sure someone will tell you and you ll also need to think bout what you re gonna do with the cambelt when you go to remove head.I tied mine up so i didnt have to remove it completely although the intermediate shaft was out afterwards which meant i had to do the ignition timing again,not so bad though.
I had never done one before and i m just sharing my problems with you so you know whats involved and maybe plan it out so you dont get stuck with no car. It is a piece of piss but only after you ve done it and you know how to do the next one.
I spent bout 1hr 30 getting head off after the downpipe bolts were loosened and the rest was just faffing about taking the manifolds off the head in my kitchen and replacing the gaskets.
Anyway if your gonna do it,good luck stick with it.
-
Cheers for that write up mate, really helpful indeed, I think before I attempt it I will soak all the nuts/bolts in question in WD40 so I can crack them open slightly easier! My only problem with stuff like this is a lack of confidence in my self if I had someone watching it'd be a bit less stressful so if I mess up someones there - In regards to the bit im actually worried about is the timing belt / timing, annoyingly I only just had the belt changed! If i set the timing belt up wrong it could result in me doing my valves in right? :(
-
Same thing iwas worried about. I saw a pic with someone on here just releasing the belt off the cam pulley and tying it up so it didnt come off the crank pulley.I did the same using a jump lead to hold the belt up after lining the mark on the head.
Refitting was just a case of lining the one mark up again. It was out on the intermiediate shaft which is the one under the cam pully but that was only a case of re doing the ignition timing.
I struggle with easier jobs so was sh*tting it with this but when it was done and it fired 1st time i gained so much more confidence in doing things.
-
Yeah that's true, I guess once it's done I'll be glad I tried it myself, unless I fudge it up :( then it's got good! I guess if I make it all up shouldnt be a problem but what about when fitting a different head?
-
Should be fine if you get the engine top dead centre,pull the belt off then put the new head on with the mark lined up on the new head.
I ll try to find the pic.
-
If you could mate that would be awesome and a great help! :)
-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=128884.msg1146842#msg1146842
Found the link but the one pic i was after aint there, might give you some idea though.
-
Nice one that gives a rough idea buddy! I guess once I've taken the first big step and start getting bits off I should get it done!! :P (I hope )
-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=20498.20 for the bentley manual online or do a google for a haynes manual to download or even go to the extreme of buying a haynes manual. The exhaust removal and confidence factor are the hardest parts of the job but make sure you have every part and tool you might need before you start the work!
-
Cheers DOA, I have a Haynes manual some where just got to find it, the exhaust manifold or the whole system got to come off? thanks for that
-
Just the manifold at the head plus all the inlet etc etc. As I think you said earlier, lots of pre-application of WD40 or plusgas on the studs/bolts for the manifold plus a scrub off of the inevitable crud on them with a wire brush if you can will help a lot.
-
Cheers for that buddy :) shouldnt be long before I get it sorted hopefully! thanks for all your help!