GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Skid on 01 September 2010, 22:03

Title: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
Post by: Skid on 01 September 2010, 22:03
As above really.
I have SEAT Cordoba ABF and gear box (basically Golf MK3 set up) going into a MK2.
I think I've read a MK4 shifter is quicker and better? Can anyone advise? Do I need everything including all the brackets and linkage on the gear box also, or just the gear stick and mounting box itself? Any other advice?
Cheers
Mark
Title: Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
Post by: Diamond Hell on 01 September 2010, 22:22
Golf4 or Octavia shift mech and shift control tower on your gearbox, with the control cables should deliver a nice, tight shift.

The shifter mech also looks gorgeous, naked.
Title: Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
Post by: Skid on 03 September 2010, 08:10
DH as ever to the rescue  :wink:
Title: Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
Post by: Skid on 09 September 2010, 08:40
hmmmmm...... getting some reluctance from a  number of breakers to sell me all the linkage components on the gearbox end.

I've told the various breakers I want every part of the gear box external components that move when gears are shifted. May be I'm being too cautious but don't want to spend ££ with a breaker to find some small component missing that a dealer will then charge me ££££££ for.

So anyone got a picture or a written list of every part of the shifting mechanism (gearbox end) that I can forward to the breakers and say "I want that one!"
 :smiley:
 
can anyone enlighten me?
Title: Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
Post by: Mew on 09 September 2010, 14:21
May be I'm being too cautious but don't want to spend ££ with a breaker to find some small component missing that a dealer will then charge me ££££££ for.


Probably worth checking with the dealer first. Sometimes things are surprisingly cheap, sometimes even cheaper than 2nd hand :lipsrsealed:
Title: Re: best cable change shifter for MK2 / ABF conversion
Post by: Reasty on 12 September 2010, 08:50
May be I'm being too cautious but don't want to spend ££ with a breaker to find some small component missing that a dealer will then charge me ££££££ for.


Probably worth checking with the dealer first. Sometimes things are surprisingly cheap, sometimes even cheaper than 2nd hand :lipsrsealed:

+1 he's right ya know!  :tongue: