GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 20:57

Title: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 20:57
Apologies if this is a bit of a vague description but I've notice my mk2 handling a little oddly the past few days.

The best way I can describe it is the back end feels as though it wallows when you put it into a corner. The body rolls but front stays planted, rear feels like it wants to step out but then sticks. Quite fun to start with but a little unpredictable  :rolleyes:

Whipped the jack under it earlier and got the wheels off. No sag, car sits at the level it always has done. Both shocks look old but don't look particularly knackered. One was a little weepy perhaps but it certainly wasn't ****ing out and the struts looked dry, bar a bit rusty. Tyre pressures are 30 on the front and 28 at the back, and are brand new Uniroyal Rainsports.

This is how they are looking:
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/jmsheahan_44/DSCN0467.jpg)

(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/jmsheahan_44/DSCN0471.jpg)

Beam bushes - looks a little crusty down there but couldn't feel any obvious play and there's no knocking or noises at all. Are there any fundamental signs that the rear beam bushes are shagged? Cars done 150k so it's likely they are probably past their best!
(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/jmsheahan_44/DSCN0468.jpg)

Pushing down on the boot the suspension seems to compress and spring back ok but I haven't taken the shocks off.

Thanks  :smiley:
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: bodga on 28 August 2010, 21:27
any play in the wheel bearings? tightnening them made a difference to mine.


 i replaced the rear shocks on mine last wk, take the shocks off the car, remove the springs, push the rod into the shock, if the rod doesnt return its shagged (them bump stops should have the dust skirts attached to them) :grin:
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 21:30
Wheel bearings seem fine, gave everything a good once over, no play in them. It's odd, it's only started doing it this week. It's like driving a jelly  :laugh:  Like I say though no noises or tell tale clunks.

Did you replace with standard items? If so where did you get them from mate?
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: cняis on 28 August 2010, 21:32
mine had new rear beam bushes fitted before i bought the car (had pics to prove it) but the new beam bushed failed within 6 months.

the car would have a delayed steering reaction, it was ok around long corners but was meandering down straight roads (i was forever correcting the steering). It was so bad i refused to drive it for my safety!

there was no knocking or creaking, just unwanted 4 wheel steering!

when we took the bushes out, they fell apart! the rubber came out in 3 pieces!
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 21:37
mine had new rear beam bushes fitted before i bought the car (had pics to prove it) but the new beam bushed failed within 6 months.

the car would have a delayed steering reaction, it was ok around long corners but was meandering down straight roads (i was forever correcting the steering). It was so bad i refused to drive it for my safety!

there was no knocking or creaking, just unwanted 4 wheel steering!

when we took the bushes out, they fell apart! the rubber came out in 3 pieces!

Not so good!  :undecided:

To be fair I think they could probably do with being replaced if they are still the original factory ones but it's a real ball ache having to drop the beam to do it. I just don't really have the time right now. The car tracks in a straight line, it's just the corners that are the problem.
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: bodga on 28 August 2010, 21:48
mine has passed its MOT today, advisory "play rear wheel bearings" :shocked: i set them with slight play????

i had the shocks from eurocarparts "bistien", £29 each i think :huh: my old shocks were fooked, didnt realise untill i took them off thou because i was unhappy with the handling. had the bump stops from there as well. @£13 set
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 22:00
mine has passed its MOT today, advisory "play rear wheel bearings" :shocked: i set them with slight play????

i had the shocks from eurocarparts "bistien", £29 each i think :huh: my old shocks were fooked, didnt realise untill i took them off thou because i was unhappy with the handling. had the bump stops from there as well. @£13 set

Cheers. They the gas ones rather than oil? Would be running them with 60mm lowering springs. Sorry to bombard you with questions  :grin:
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: bodga on 28 August 2010, 22:08
no worries, they are gas for the valver yes. ive just got standard springs its still low thou, just about fit two fingers between the rear arch and tire
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: Mr Blue on 28 August 2010, 22:31
60mm lowering springs with standard shocks?

I suspect the shocks are weak in that case.

Changing the rear bushes on mine in a few weeks. Just over £30 each from VW :shocked:
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 22:43
60mm lowering springs with standard shocks?

I suspect the shocks are weak in that case.

Changing the rear bushes on mine in a few weeks. Just over £30 each from VW :shocked:

On the car when I bought it. It's reasonably low but not slammed low so there's a chance they may be 40's I guess.

£30! Ouch! You can get topran ones for £11 odd quid.
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: Mr Blue on 28 August 2010, 23:02
I'd rather fit genuine parts when it comes to bushes. They are not easy to change. May aswel do it once :smiley:
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: X4MGS on 28 August 2010, 23:05
I'd rather fit genuine parts when it comes to bushes. They are not easy to change. May aswel do it once :smiley:

Couldn't agree more....

Sounds to me like your shocks...

I fitted Boge turbo's to mine all round... Bought all new bump stops Top mounts & bolts etc from VW seems the last ones lasted 18 years so that will do me...
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 23:14
I'd rather fit genuine parts when it comes to bushes. They are not easy to change. May aswel do it once :smiley:

Too true  :smiley: I've only heard good things about Topran though.

X4MGS - how much did it set you back for the top mounts and associated bits from VW if you don't mind me asking? Just priced it up on vwspares - would be good to compare to genuine.
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: X4MGS on 28 August 2010, 23:17
For fronts and rears I think it was about £85.00 but not sure as I did buy other stuff too...
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 23:25
Cheers, working out at about £45 odd on VW spares so sounds like genuine shouldn't be too much more.

Thinking of the Bilsteins from eurocarparts or possibly these shock wise
http://www.vwsonline.co.uk/car_parts_bristol/vw/golf/golf2/rearaxle/191-513-033j.html
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: X4MGS on 28 August 2010, 23:35
I would phoe the stealers to get a proper price before you go and order stuff...

I have to say that after my recent problems with temp senders etc... I am going more and more towards ONLY buying VW parts from now, as the patten parts may seem ok and are cheaper, they just don't seem to last...
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: jmsheahan on 28 August 2010, 23:37
I would phoe the stealers to get a proper price before you go and order stuff...

I have to say that after my recent problems with temp senders etc... I am going more and more towards ONLY buying VW parts from now, as the patten parts may seem ok and are cheaper, they just don't seem to last...

Agreed but as above it depends what you buy really. Totally agreed on the senders though - had a pattern oil pressure switch that leaked and a temp gauge sender that under read.
Title: Re: Mk2 rear end wallow
Post by: bodga on 29 August 2010, 16:44
I tried the stealers for my rear shocks first, it worked out to @£150 with the VAT so i left it, thats all i paid for the car :grin:. ive had decent priced oil and filters from stealers thou.

vws, ive had a temp sender from there, and a gear linkage repair kit from there, they have been ok. ring to order thou, i ordered online, and it got messy. i didnt read the message on the home screen or it wasnt there :undecided: