GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: BMXJeff on 24 August 2010, 21:19

Title: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: BMXJeff on 24 August 2010, 21:19

What are the differences between the 1.8 Driver and the 1.8 GL? Is it just the trim?

I want to know if they use the same engines and can all the usual Driver mods (GTI cam, exhaust, weber carb, etc..) be done to the GL models.

Also, I keep seeing Golf GL 4+E.... What is the 4+E??? Been googling for ages and still none the wiser!

Thanks for your knowledge in advance   :)
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: Haribo! on 24 August 2010, 21:26
engines are the same, and 4+E means 4 gears plus economy
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: dannydubs on 24 August 2010, 21:29
as above
 :smiley: ive got a gti cam 4 sale
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: BMXJeff on 24 August 2010, 21:46
engines are the same, and 4+E means 4 gears plus economy

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: BMXJeff on 24 August 2010, 21:56
as above
 :smiley: ive got a gti cam 4 sale

 :grin: Cheers dannydubs!

I haven't got a Mk2 yet but I might take you up on that when I have one in the pipeline (over next month or two fingers crossed). I had all the GTI cam, exhaust etc to do this when I had a 1.6 driver but some jackass drove up the back of my stationary car at 30mph = bye bye Mk2  :cry:

Been driving a dirty Laguna estate (oportune purchase) for almost a year now and I miss my dub. Would get a GTI but the insurance company/wallet doesn't like my age (24) combined with my 6 points. Anyway I have a thing for carbs!
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: Haribo! on 24 August 2010, 22:21

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?


they fit, the block is the same alot of 1.6/1.8 carb and gti engine parts mix and match.

heres one for you, I had a 16v gti which had a 1.6 carb gearbox on it, it came with it, the car was much better when i put the right box on it.

Im not sure if its better or worse with a gti box on carb engine tho... might be :p
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: X4MGS on 24 August 2010, 22:40
Arn't Drivers all 1.6??
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: Haribo! on 24 August 2010, 22:41
Arn't Drivers all 1.6??

Im pretty sure you can get 1.8 drivers.... im easily wrong tho
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: BMXJeff on 24 August 2010, 23:16

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?


they fit, the block is the same alot of 1.6/1.8 carb and gti engine parts mix and match.

heres one for you, I had a 16v gti which had a 1.6 carb gearbox on it, it came with it, the car was much better when i put the right box on it.

Im not sure if its better or worse with a gti box on carb engine tho... might be :p


Only one way to find out! After a bit of googling it would seem that GTI boxes are closer ratio for acceleration and carb boxes are more cruisy with longer gears. So in theory the GTI box would make the carb engine more nippy, sounds too easy though right?

Found a great site on 020 boxes: http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html (http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html)
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: BMXJeff on 24 August 2010, 23:19
Arn't Drivers all 1.6??

All apart from the 1.8 Drivers!  :grin: They seem to be much harder to come by than the common as muck 1.6 though
Title: Re: Mk2 1.8 Driver and 1.8 GL differences?
Post by: Haribo! on 25 August 2010, 00:07

Cheers Haribo! I hate 4 speed boxes but I guess the Eco gear means you don't have to sit on the redline on the motorway!

Anybody know if a GTI gearbox would bolt onto the 1.8 carb engines and whether they would like the gear ratios?


they fit, the block is the same alot of 1.6/1.8 carb and gti engine parts mix and match.

heres one for you, I had a 16v gti which had a 1.6 carb gearbox on it, it came with it, the car was much better when i put the right box on it.

Im not sure if its better or worse with a gti box on carb engine tho... might be :p


Only one way to find out! After a bit of googling it would seem that GTI boxes are closer ratio for acceleration and carb boxes are more cruisy with longer gears. So in theory the GTI box would make the carb engine more nippy, sounds too easy though right?

Found a great site on 020 boxes: http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html (http://www.brokevw.com/020ratios.html)



Yeh that sounds about right in theory :p