GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Pearce69 on 24 August 2010, 20:22

Title: What size wheels
Post by: Pearce69 on 24 August 2010, 20:22
Hey all

Iv used the search button but cant seem to find anything. What im wanting to know is what the biggest size wheels i can fit on my gti and how wide? Weather i will need spacers or not and what tyre size to have? Im rather like the bbs split rims but they seem rather exspensive. What other wheels like bbs are there? Also what offset do i need?

cheers arron
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: X4MGS on 24 August 2010, 21:55
Depends on a number of factors...

Have a play with this for wheel sizes.... http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

For Offsets try this.... OEM ones are ET33 or ET35... http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Wheel size is not the be all and end all... You have to consider Ride Quality, Road Noise & Handling, as these can all be affected by what you fit!!!
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: Ben Lessani on 24 August 2010, 23:28
15" 7J are perfectly suited to the Golf, any bigger it looks like a tonka truck.
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: twistedblack69 on 24 August 2010, 23:47
Some 16's look OK, there are even some 17s that looks OK

http://vwgolfmk2.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23158&highlight=wheels (http://vwgolfmk2.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23158&highlight=wheels)

I've got ET24 15" wheels on my Golf, and had it not been lowered, they'd have been fine, but where I've had it lowered, it rubs on the back wheels if I have a full car
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: Wayne on 24 August 2010, 23:49
15" alloys are the best all round choice for a mk2.
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: Neo Badness on 25 August 2010, 00:09
29in chrome spinners = win
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: X4MGS on 25 August 2010, 00:10
29in chrome spinners = win

Need a piccy of that... before I ditch my RM's.... :rolleyes:
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: Haribo! on 25 August 2010, 00:12
as said, 15s are the way way forward :D
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: Neo Badness on 25 August 2010, 08:37
29in chrome spinners = win

Need a piccy of that... before I ditch my RM's.... :rolleyes:

On it  :grin:
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: mwep201081 on 25 August 2010, 10:48
I've got 17's and they look OK. Had to work the front and rear arches quite a bit tho and in hindsight I'd probably say it isn't worth the effort
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: Pearce69 on 25 August 2010, 16:48
Cheers 4 the repyls, I take it 15" is the way to go. With 7j do I need spacers? I'm lowering it 40mm I noticed the other day that my rear wheels (pirreli p's) seem to be in line with my rear struts, do u think they will hit? I'm not sure what et they are? It's the same wheels as on the mk1
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: X4MGS on 25 August 2010, 17:12
Spacer requirement will Depend on the Alloy Offset NOT the Alloy Width....

You Could fit 9's if the offset was right... Have a play with that link I sent you!!
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: twistedblack69 on 26 August 2010, 14:43
As long as its ET35 or less, it''ll be fine as in not hitting the suspension strut. Anything higher, you may have a problem, but if it's lower, you'll be fine. Find out what offset they are before you lower it, as you may have some trouble with arch rubbing. Mine rubs on a ET24 with a full car, and it's lowered 30-40mm
Title: Re: What size wheels
Post by: clipperjay on 26 August 2010, 14:58
You defo need some coillies it frees up a bit of space  :wink: