GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: gavL on 12 August 2010, 22:01
-
So as I posted in an earlier topic for an 8v when working on the car the dizzy got smashed by mistake. So a replacement was found and as adviced I setup all of the TDC on all locations and setup the dizzy to the best I could before doing the timing and the engine then started.
So thats the good news the engine now starts.
The problem is this now; So we are set to do the timing and following the 8v tuning guide we run the car to tempature at idle of about 1150rpm.
Next we knock out the correct sensors etc and as it should the car struggles a little to start. Great so we rev the car up to 2.2k after a short while we notice first we can here bang and the exhaust is back firing, smoke is coming out of the back of the engine bay and shut the engine off. We look behind the block and the Down Pipe is bright orange.
Any ideas whats causing this? I know that the timing is a little out either way, unsure what way tho really as I didn't dare start the car again tonight as last thing I would want is either the Down Pipe to explode/catch fire or crack the block. Could the car be majorly over fueling and the fuel is actually combusting in the exhaust thats causing the over the top temperature? If so would it just be the dizzy needs to be more precise?
Thing is trying to do the timing it would be set mostly via the dizzy at this point as TDC was set etc So I'm a tad scared of starting the car and getting it up to this temperature again only for the manifold to do the same thing again.
Cheers again people :)
-
Might be wrong, but yes sounds like it is overfueling.
-
when the timeing is out EGT's sky rocket, i normaly twerk the dizzy round a bit by ear first out of setup mode to get them ideling ok, then when it warm put it in setup mode and get the timeing gun out
-
EGT? Sorry unsure what it means :huh:
-
EGT? Sorry unsure what it means :huh:
My best guess is Exhaust Gas Temperature, but i'm not sure either.
-
EGT? Sorry unsure what it means :huh:
My best guess is Exhaust Gas Temperature, but i'm not sure either.
Correct :afro: