GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Bieldside on 31 July 2010, 18:52
-
I have bought a 107,000 Mk2 16v in my fav colour of Oak Green
The bodywork is fine but the engine needs work to restore it to its former glory
Have seen G Werks recommended but have tried and failed to get a response by phone or e-mail to see how they can help
Can anyone suggest a company that specialises in Mk2 16vs in and around the M25 . Would travel beyond for strong recommendations
Thanks
-
What G werks didn't pick up the phone? They get so many emails they hardly respond to them, as you should just keep ringing them Saturdays are a nightmare as its there busiest day.
Ask for Darren in Gwerks he can sort it out for you, sometimes he prefers to work on old MK2's becuase thats where his talent lies!
If your serious about getting it up to scratch ask for Daz. You might get Rob who is a good chap with info!
-
Thanks for that confirmation
Thinking about it he could spend all his life replying to e-mail enquiries and telephone calls
I will pursue him until I get hold of him
Thanks again
-
bought my coilies through g-werks and can confirm they are a bit difficult to get hold of on the phone! keep trying though
-
I take mine to the Phirm in hook,they are the best in the business IMO.
www.thephirm.co.uk
-
Have made contact with Darren who is going to suggest ideas for the Mk2 . Needs to stay standard so nothing clever or engines dropped in
Will await his e-mail but thanks for thephirm link , looks good + they are closer
Anyone else used them?
Thanks
-
whats your budget? :grin:
-
erm why not avoid the scene tax and go straight to an engine builder, i know for fact that certan scene garages don't do any internal work on engines they sub it out to engine builders.
prober workover of a valver costs from about £1500 upwards.
-
erm why not avoid the scene tax and go straight to an engine builder, i know for fact that certan scene garages don't do any internal work on engines they sub it out to engine builders.
prober workover of a valver costs from about £1500 upwards.
you could by a race prept engine for that amount LOL!
-
we have diffrent ideas about what a race preped engine is then as i don't think get one thats any good for £1500.
it will get a some good headwork, a nice pair of cams, vernier pully and get it fitted and setup. it all dpends how far you want to go.
cams for the 16v are between £350 - 500 , headwork is £500 + depending how far you want to go. the vernier will be about £80 the new belt about £20 the gaskets and head bolts about £60 and proably £100 on the rollers setting it up. and someone still has to fit the parts in the first place and it's allready at £1110 and not even touched the bottom end or the flywheel
or you chould just slap a k&n in and do the wur mod all depends on what you want to do. imo a race preped engine is going to over 5K
-
we have diffrent ideas about what a race preped engine is then as i don't think get one thats any good for £1500.
it will get a some good headwork, a nice pair of cams, vernier pully and get it fitted and setup. it all dpends how far you want to go.
cams for the 16v are between £350 - 500 , headwork is £500 + depending how far you want to go. the vernier will be about £80 the new belt about £20 the gaskets and head bolts about £60 and proably £100 on the rollers setting it up. and someone still has to fit the parts in the first place and it's allready at £1110 and not even touched the bottom end or the flywheel
or you chould just slap a k&n in and do the wur mod all depends on what you want to do. imo a race preped engine is going to over 5K
Yeah you could spend over 15K if you like, but I'm being realistic with a young lad on a forum looking to get a bit of cheap reliable speed? Plenty of second hand cars that have good race engines in them all ready, see if they sell for more than 2K? I stated what I stated you could get a decent race spec ported head for around £300 and yes I would do the fitting myself. At the end of the day why would I spend 5K on a fully race prept engine when I could buy a whole car for that? If I was serious enough to buy a engine for 5K and no nothing about fitting an engine or working out the correct specs I wanted, I'm not really being serious?
IMO secondhand parts is the way to go, jeez the Mk2 golf is over 20 years old? After 5K its not really a Golf anymore TBH!
I want to see more golfs looked after, rather than dropping 1.8T into them :wink:
-
you don't put or find race engines in road cars. :grin: sorry jay, you are describing a fast road engine
i think bielside is looking for someone to refesh the engine, give it a health check etc. Can you remember the '£8000 - find me a mint mk2' threads?
-
Er who mentioned race engines?
I would recomend Roy at Autobahn in Basingstoke.
Nick
-
i would recommend maybe changing the belts, oil etc and enjoying it! 16v's are only just worn in at 80,000 :grin: no need to go ripping it apart yet
-
you don't put or find race engines in road cars. :grin: sorry jay, you are describing a fast road engine
i think bielside is looking for someone to refesh the engine, give it a health check etc. Can you remember the '£8000 - find me a mint mk2' threads?
tomatoes...... Tomatoes(American acent) Potatoes LOL!
Geez saw a MkI for sale with a TSR 2ltr road race race fast engine, its all the bloody same to me? What is a Race engine? what is it exactly? Different head, different cams, larger ports, bespoke engine management, balanced flywheel and bigger forged pistoooooons....... so whats the difference oh that was it Price! :wink:
There is a clear difference with a chap looking for a "minter for investment sake" and something to rag around all day long trying to kill themselves non?
-
road engine = road use designed with compromises
race engine = race use designed for max power possible within a set of regulations
you wouldn't want an engine with a narrow power band that doesn't idle under 2.5k in a road car, trust me!
-
£300 for a race preped head LOL you'll get a fast road head for an 8 valve for that. race heads start at a grand if there any good.
the OP said it needed engine work to restore it to it's former glory and titel of post indicated he wanted tuning... i was just pointing out it ain't cheep. and i see enough people how have bought 2nd hand race engine's or cars that apperntly have race engine in them. the motors ether arn't what they say they are or about all used up. fast road engines are a diffrent story but takeing a worn engine and turning it into a good fast road engine chould easy cost £1500
-
£300 for a race preped head LOL
thats the inlet valves payed for :grin:
-
I you read what I'm writting I have already stated this a lad who is not going to professionaly race cars he Just wants a tidy MK2?
You both can blow your own horns about high end race engines and well done for that! :kiss: :rolleyes:
-
Thanks for the thoughts on the engine etc
Yes I was prepared to spend £8000 for a mint 16v but no takers - so plan B kicks in
Car is bought but needs tlc on the engine to refresh it + tidy up the engine bay
Externally all is good and internally the driver seat needs attention but thats a cheap fix . New carpets and thats it
Thanks for the idea that I am a "lad" . Sadly way past that
This is my fourth 16v in Oak Green and this time it will be perfect and never sold!
Still trying to find a specialist gargage . Spoke to G Werks and was promised a quotation for work to be done - sadly nothing has arrived so the search continues
-
Thanks for the thoughts on the engine etc
Yes I was prepared to spend £8000 for a mint 16v but no takers - so plan B kicks in
Car is bought but needs tlc on the engine to refresh it + tidy up the engine bay
Externally all is good and internally the driver seat needs attention but thats a cheap fix . New carpets and thats it
Thanks for the idea that I am a "lad" . Sadly way past that
This is my fourth 16v in Oak Green and this time it will be perfect and never sold!
Still trying to find a specialist gargage . Spoke to G Werks and was promised a quotation for work to be done - sadly nothing has arrived so the search continues
I would look for a tidy G60 or Rallye instead give 16'vers to the younger lads 8K will evapourate quickly :wink:
-
so just how much do you think a refresh of a stock 16v would cost then ? go work it out
-
I am not after a tyre burner but a standard Mk2 16V Golf GTI that has been refreshed internally, externally and with subtle engine mods/upgrades
The standard Oak Green 16v is a genuine classic car in the making , if not already there
I looked long and hard for a mint example but they don't exist or if they do the owner is not selling
I will leave the serious modifications to others
-
Have a word with Shakey from here:
http://studioincar.wordpress.com/
I think he might well be able to provide exactly what you're after.
nick
-
So.... ignoring all of the race engine/ fast road engine gumpf.
You just want a refreshed engine.
It would be an idea to get together a list of what you would want doing yourself, as peoples perception of what is "refreshed" can be completely different.
I.E. my idea of refreshed is splitting everything down and changing over A LOT of parts for brand new components.
Breaking it up into sections would probably be easiest so;
Induction Paths - Airbox, filters, throttle body, isv, maf, etc
Cylinder Head - Camshafts, pulleys, valves, stem seals, valve guides etc
Cylinders - Liners, re-honing etc
Bottom End - Camshaft knife-edging, big end bearing, little end bearings, conrods, piston crowns, piston rings etc
Ancillaries - PAS, Waterpump, oil pumps, belts, alternator etc
Ignition System - Plugs, leads, coil, dizzy, rotor, dizzy cap etc
I could go on, but if you make a list of what would "please" you, then it would also help your enquires on both here and at whoever you approach to do the work.
:smiley:
-
a good subtle engine build would be something along the lines of what gti engineering did back in the day, eg flowed head on 2.0l block. You could have the engine built up off the car as well and build it with new bits.
-
I take mine to the Phirm in hook,they are the best in the business IMO.
www.thephirm.co.uk
I've used the Phirm before, damn good service and really nice guys!
-
wasent sugesting a race engine for it, just someone thought my idea of a basic engine rebuild was into race engine money.
for a daily or period restoration i would proaby build or have built a 1.9 rom the ground up, not the chepest but period engine and it will be as new then
-
Thanks to Agreeable Slick for the suggestions which probably tick the boxes
I will call thephirm and see - lets hope they can sort the car out
Thanks for all the suggestions , much appreciated
-
Spoken to thephirm
Very helpful so problem resolved
I will take the car down for them to have a look and decide what is best
Thanks again
-
Spoken to thephirm
Very helpful so problem resolved
I will take the car down for them to have a look and decide what is best
Thanks again
Tim or Paul will get the car up on the ramp on your first visit and go over the car with you and show you everything that needs doing to the car and will make you a list,trust me what ever you want doing these guys can sort it out with quality and style,they arnt the cheapest around but you get what you pay for.(tell them simon with the white mk2 16v sent you :wink: )
-
Spoke to Christian and sounded really interested and professional
Will mention the guys