GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: Mk2_tel on 29 July 2010, 17:24

Title: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Mk2_tel on 29 July 2010, 17:24
these go onto a mk2 golf there from a seat ibiza r

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mk2-golf-BREMBO-seat-ibiza-r-/320567629235?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa351d5b3
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Diamond Hell on 29 July 2010, 17:41
Is that a question, or a statement?

If you need them you want to be running big power, or you just need to learn how to drive properly...
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 29 July 2010, 18:11
SO...what MK2 have you got?

Unless you bought your MK2 from a  Paramount Pictures "Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen"  fire sale, I doubt you'll be going fast enough to justify them Brembos.

There are a lot of things I'd rather spend £300 + on

Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Mk2_tel on 29 July 2010, 18:49
Its a statement......

And its just something i have come across which i am now selling to fund some willwoods. as you have to run a 16inch rim to allow for the 305mm discs. currently running 15s an would rather keep my alloys.
For what few mk2 golfs i have seen with brembos i do think there a nice touch, but of course we all got our own opinion!
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: X4MGS on 29 July 2010, 19:16
£300 Plus New Discs, Plus New Hoses, Plus 16" Alloys, Plus 16" Treads...  About a Grand when you finish and for what...... Fancy red calipers that you will never use to there full potental even if circuit racing....

Look Good Thoo Fella... maybe better offering them to Mk4 guys...

SO...what MK2 have you got?

Unless you bought your MK2 from a  Paramount Pictures "Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen"  fire sale, I doubt you'll be going fast enough to justify them Brembos.

There are a lot of things I'd rather spend £300 + on
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: danny_p on 29 July 2010, 23:09
whats the point in selling out the dosh for willwoods on a mk2 anyway. 

you can get 4 x 100  288mm with twin pot calipers  and you only have to go outside of the vag parts bin for the disk.
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: VeeDubGTI16v on 30 July 2010, 08:52
the twin pot audi calipers weigh roughly the same as the moon

i have a set of mazda 4 pot ally calipers here that weigh slightly less than half of the g60 ones, so i imagine the wilwoods would be slightly less than that.

imagine the mess in his trousers thomas would make over that unsprung weight loss
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Diamond Hell on 30 July 2010, 09:14
Do they bolt right up?
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: VeeDubGTI16v on 30 July 2010, 09:16
do what bolt right up?
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Diamond Hell on 30 July 2010, 09:27
i have a set of mazda 4 pot ally calipers here that weigh slightly less than half of the g60 ones

Your parents spoon-fed you for a long time, didn't they?
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: VeeDubGTI16v on 30 July 2010, 09:47
well no, seeing as they are MAZDA brakes and we own VW's. wilwoods were also mentioned, they don't 'bolt up' either  :wink:



 

Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Diamond Hell on 30 July 2010, 11:05
Wilwoods and Brembos generally have a ready-made adaptor/caliper carrier that bolts to the hub, to mount the caliper.

Unless you're going to get the modifications completed by a professional engineering company (e.g. www.futbus.com ), to make the Mazda calipers fit I am extremely unlikely to get excited about a set of calipers that look like they might fit if you hold them up and squint a bit.

Brakes, being a key safety item are something I'm quite keen to be able to just bolt up as a complete set up, rather than chop about with a grinder and drill to make 'sort of' fit.

As I don't believe you've got any dependants you're less likely to worry about nailing whatever hacked about brakes you want to your car, so you crack on.

My 280mm set up is just fine.
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: VeeDubGTI16v on 30 July 2010, 11:08
thanks for sharing that with us

i was using them as an example of how light the willwoods would be, but well done on another point missed
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Mk2_tel on 30 July 2010, 13:08
the willwoods are stupidly light. and i do need better brakes i have taken my g60s off and running audi s2 but they are very heavy. and also makes the steering heavy. willwoods are the option i need to take. thanks for all your input
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Diamond Hell on 30 July 2010, 13:11
i was using them as an example of how light the willwoods would be, but well done on another point missed

I must have been thinking about another thread you posted in (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=94637.0)
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: VeeDubGTI16v on 30 July 2010, 13:19
I must have been thinking

well theres a first

Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: A7 UFO on 30 July 2010, 13:25
I used to run the 305mm brembos on my mk2 along with 15" compomotives.  Even with a 200bhp/300lb diesel lump it was still overbraked.  They look nice but are not needed.  Oh I sold the whole set up (calipers, discs, pads etc) for £400.

Good luck with the sale.
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Diamond Hell on 30 July 2010, 13:29
further ballaching spitefulness

Either you're not getting any, or it's your time of the month this week.  :grin:
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: danny_p on 30 July 2010, 14:06
i know there are much much lighter calipers out there than the s2 ones.   i have a couple of sets in the shed that are going on onec the cars get put back together
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: clipperjay on 31 July 2010, 00:20
Girlling calipers weights too much, the difference in weight of one is about nearly two kilos when I used some Porker brakes. The steering is much more responsive due to the weight being taken off and the funny thing is you can go up to 310mm discs if you have decent ET alloy clearance on the Brembo's
   
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: X4MGS on 31 July 2010, 01:52
Share the info... which bremo/porker calipers did you use?? what mounts etc etc etc etc....

Girlling calipers weights too much, the difference in weight of one is about nearly two kilos when I used some Porker brakes. The steering is much more responsive due to the weight being taken off and the funny thing is you can go up to 310mm discs if you have decent ET alloy clearance on the Brembo's
   
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: clipperjay on 31 July 2010, 16:56
Share the info... which bremo/porker calipers did you use?? what mounts etc etc etc etc....

Girlling calipers weights too much, the difference in weight of one is about nearly two kilos when I used some Porker brakes. The steering is much more responsive due to the weight being taken off and the funny thing is you can go up to 310mm discs if you have decent ET alloy clearance on the Brembo's
   

It requires a bit of fettting hence I do not state on forums just incase would be have a go and get it wrong. I knew what I was doing, and it was a cheaper option for me, but I'm just stating Brembo is lighter for sure!
If you want part numbers PM me, but like I said I had to do some mods on fitting them! :wink:

Total cost in the end was about £400 give or take about 1/5 of price of the kits, but they fit like a glove for any plug and play applications kits.  :smiley:

Must be at least ET38 17" alloys.
Brake discs Seat
S2 caliper carriers
Porsche Boxster Calipers
Mk3 brake pipes to calipers!
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: X4MGS on 31 July 2010, 18:53
I have 3 sets of Boxster S/996 rear calipers lying about... :laugh:

I assume you mean RS2 to S2 carriers as S2's calipers just bolt on... Did you have to modify the mount?

What size discs from which Seat? do the disc hats match the golf ones?? Assume you are still using MK2 4 x 100 hubs?

I was looking at getting them to fit under 15" RA's & RM's (Just bought a set of RM from Germany)...

A M8 of mine machines up brackets for S2's to mount Boxster S 996 Front calipers he does two sizes one for 16" alloys and one for Min 17" so could get hime to make up a bracket... just need to sort some suitable discs..
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: clipperjay on 31 July 2010, 21:34
I have 3 sets of Boxster S/996 rear calipers lying about... :laugh:

I assume you mean RS2 to S2 carriers as S2's calipers just bolt on... Did you have to modify the mount?

What size discs from which Seat? do the disc hats match the golf ones?? Assume you are still using MK2 4 x 100 hubs?

I was looking at getting them to fit under 15" RA's & RM's (Just bought a set of RM from Germany)...

A M8 of mine machines up brackets for S2's to mount Boxster S 996 Front calipers he does two sizes one for 16" alloys and one for Min 17" so could get hime to make up a bracket... just need to sort some suitable discs..

Carrier bolt holes end to end is 13cm as long as they match the carriers your calipers are fine!
Yes the rears are the ones I went for that fit over the 28mm width discs, but I had to machine 3mm off the bolt retainers to the pads they didn't clear, but 3mm is nothing you can mod it in ten minutes of even grinding.
305mmx28x4x100 hat 38mm
Yeah Carriers RS2 Part  8A0615125A
Discs 6KL 615 301 Seat, that’s a 12"-304 mm diameter 4 X 100 Seat Ibiza Cupra R 1,8 turbo on old platform ('00-'02  )  Seat Ibiza Cupra R

Thats it But I did order new caliper bolts from Porsche direct it was cheap just to be sure.
This only applies to later 16V models with the bigger discs by the way as mine was on the G60 hubs set up.
You could go down MK1 TT brakes @ 310mm discs, but they are massive and heavy pointless to the power to brake ratio IMO.
 
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: Sam on 03 August 2010, 13:52
Im rocking 240bhp and still on g60s. To be honest you will be better to spend decent money on tyres, i know my tyres give before using the 60s to there full potential
Title: Re: Mk2 Brembo brakes
Post by: X4MGS on 04 August 2010, 03:29
Thanks for the Heads Up...

Will look into it further

I have 3 sets of Boxster S/996 rear calipers lying about... :laugh:

I assume you mean RS2 to S2 carriers as S2's calipers just bolt on... Did you have to modify the mount?

What size discs from which Seat? do the disc hats match the golf ones?? Assume you are still using MK2 4 x 100 hubs?

I was looking at getting them to fit under 15" RA's & RM's (Just bought a set of RM from Germany)...

A M8 of mine machines up brackets for S2's to mount Boxster S 996 Front calipers he does two sizes one for 16" alloys and one for Min 17" so could get hime to make up a bracket... just need to sort some suitable discs..

Carrier bolt holes end to end is 13cm as long as they match the carriers your calipers are fine!
Yes the rears are the ones I went for that fit over the 28mm width discs, but I had to machine 3mm off the bolt retainers to the pads they didn't clear, but 3mm is nothing you can mod it in ten minutes of even grinding.
305mmx28x4x100 hat 38mm
Yeah Carriers RS2 Part  8A0615125A
Discs 6KL 615 301 Seat, that’s a 12"-304 mm diameter 4 X 100 Seat Ibiza Cupra R 1,8 turbo on old platform ('00-'02  )  Seat Ibiza Cupra R

Thats it But I did order new caliper bolts from Porsche direct it was cheap just to be sure.
This only applies to later 16V models with the bigger discs by the way as mine was on the G60 hubs set up.
You could go down MK1 TT brakes @ 310mm discs, but they are massive and heavy pointless to the power to brake ratio IMO.