GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: mr burns on 29 July 2010, 10:39
-
Hi all
my heating matrix has finally given up I read the how to on here and the comments on what a pain it can be so I rang a garage for a quote (good job I wS sat down) so my question is if I take my time and follow the how to is this a job that someone with alittle bit of spanner common sense can do, I,ve bypassed the matrix at mo so that's all good, any advice much appriciated
thanks
-
It's very doable. Took me 2 days, but that included sourcing and replacing the soundproofing in the floorpan, and cleaning up the mess made by the old matrix.
For a swap, set a day aside, though you could probably do it in a few hours. Hardest part for me was getting the airbox out - it is fiddly and annoying but you'll get there eventually.
-
Thanks for the reply Tony looks like I,ll be busy this weekend :rolleyes:
-
definitely one of them jobs where a buddy to help, not least to keep up flagging spirits, is needed
-
Read These threads and buy that pipe clamp tool....
It's Worth every penny....
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68989.0
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33251.0
This was the first major job I did on my lads Golf, took a while to do it but it's do-able for a numpty like me and tools need are limited....
Your hands will take a battering!!!
-
The lower heater box nut in the engine bay behind the exhaust, before attempting to undo it, tighten it a little, spray with WD40, then wire brush the threads, and spray again before undoing, with a bit of luck, it will then undo, rather than spinning or shearing..
Thom
-
.
-
Since that guide I found putting a bit of grease on the bulkhead bolts before pushing it back into place helps to make it fit into the firewall bulkhead. I should up date some of those tips as some people tend to snap off the top or bottom bolts trying to get it back in LOL.
Good luck and you know you did a good job once your hands ar cut to shreads :laugh:
-
K-SEAL :afro: :grin:
-
If you are going to update it then also point out that its much easier to put the top vents back in when you have removed the top dash screws.. It means the dash will flex so you can get the air vents in without such a struggle....
-
I just started a matrix change... I pre soaked the bulkhead studs with WD40, and when I went to loosen them they made no effort to play along. With little effort the studs just spun, very easily I thought. Gutted. If I can cut them out, can i easily put a bolt in the air box to fix through the bulkhead? Or should I start looking for a replacement air box?
-
When we did ours we got the top one off but the bottom just spun like yours...
We left it in place and just used the top bolt to secure it... The unit is so tightly held in place inside the car I dont think they really make much differance so IMO just leave them in situ and use them as a locating/guide pins...
As I say thats just my opinion...
-
Got the studs off!! WOO! Trusty mole-grips held the end of the stud, while a spanner worked the nut off. All in fine condition for re-use too! Managed to get the matrix out with relative ease using the guide's linked above, with only a couple of small abuse marks on my hands! Got to source a replacement adjuster cable for a broken one.... Then I can have a go at getting those lovely clips back on....