GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: twistedblack69 on 22 July 2010, 17:07

Title: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: twistedblack69 on 22 July 2010, 17:07
Putting 256mm fronts on my 8v GTI, but the rears are shot and are going to need replacing too. On a bit of a budget, was going to go to GSF, but wanted to know if theres any discs/pads I should avoid. Also, am i going to need to adjust the bias valve (I'm assuming I have one) after putting bigger brakes on. I'm not entirely sure how the bias valve works and what it does, if you hadn't guessed lol
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: The Mighty Elvi on 22 July 2010, 17:43
I recently picked up some new Brembo discs all round for my valver. No complaints so far.
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: cняis on 22 July 2010, 18:24
the rears do naff all anyway so i wouldnt worry about avoiding any brands :afro:

You will have a bias valve if yours is an original GTI. there is a how-to somewhere about adjust the bias valve. However all it does is increase the rear braking performance when the rear is loaded up. Nothing to do with the performance of the fronts  :smiley: So youo can leave it well alone unless it's seized (should be picked up on MOT)
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: twistedblack69 on 22 July 2010, 19:48
Cheers, guys

Chris, I did think it would be pointless forking out for high end discs and pads unless I was driving it like it was stolen which I don't do...often
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: cняis on 22 July 2010, 20:48
Cheers, guys

Chris, I did think it would be pointless forking out for high end discs and pads unless I was driving it like it was stolen which I don't do...often

invest in a good front setup, possibly bigger master cylinder (do a search) and honestly dont worry about the rears  :smiley:
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: twistedblack69 on 22 July 2010, 20:58
Well I just picked up a 16v front setup, was looking at getting a 22mm master cylinder, and when these pads and discs are shot (apparently only 6 months old) get some G60 carriers and calipers, and upgrade to 280mm

Speaking of MCs, will this fit on my Golf??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-23MM-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-9-SERVO-MK1-/390218669595?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adad85e1b (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-23MM-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDER-9-SERVO-MK1-/390218669595?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adad85e1b)
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: X4MGS on 23 July 2010, 00:02
Are you fitting MK3 Rear Calipers??

I'm thinking of fitting a set of Audi S2 Girling Calipers & 280mm Discs to the front & Mk3's to the rears..
Title: Re: Recommendation for rear brakes...
Post by: spacerat on 23 July 2010, 08:17
I went the mk4 caliper route.  all this involved was a pair of calipers and some goodridge hoses from POTN for £30.  cant really say there was any improvement but it saves on the hassle of the famous mk2 rear caliper seizure,  discs and pads remain as standard.