GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: tony_ack on 18 July 2010, 19:13

Title: 16v idle with lights turned on - SOLVED
Post by: tony_ack on 18 July 2010, 19:13
My valver idles fine when warm and cold during the day, but as soon as I turn the lights on, the idle goes up to about 1250-1500 rpm, and hunts like crazy when returning to idle after being revved/driven.

When I turn the lights off again, it returns to normal.

Any ideas to make my car less afraid of the dark?
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: walchy01 on 18 July 2010, 20:03
Hi There

Had this before on a previous valver, stopped using it in the dark :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry but never resolved it......

Some expert on here will though, any joy on your garage???

Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: tony_ack on 19 July 2010, 09:36
Nope, no luck on finding a garage or workshop - I've been looking on and off for about a year, so I'm not expecting to find anything any time soon
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: tony_ack on 21 July 2010, 09:08
No-one got any ideas??
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: Wayne on 21 July 2010, 09:26
Could be a idle control valve problem that only shows with the extra load.
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: jezza16v on 21 July 2010, 09:31
Try re-tuning it from scratch. The idle speed has to be set with the isv disconnected and when the cooling fan and lights are on iirc, been a while now since I've done this. Mind you when you put the lights on the revs would normally drop a bit. Could be that your ISV or its controller is dodgy and over compensating when you put the lights on???
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: rubjonny on 21 July 2010, 09:38
no you set the idle with the red/black wire disconnected near the coil, with lights off.  worth resetting the idle as above though, there is a guide on it in the maintenance section.

If that doesn't help then I'd agree it sounds like isv or controller may be the problem, check the red/green wire to the single pin black sensor on the side of the head is connected ok, and check the condition of the brown and brown/white wires to the side of the head.
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: jezza16v on 21 July 2010, 10:12
Ah, yes, everything turned off not on, senile dementia setting in I'm afraid..........doh! But have to wait til fan comes on to show its well hot and then set idle while the fan is off, I seem to recall disconnecting breather pipes and plugging holes as well, or was that for CO..................I give up!
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: rubjonny on 21 July 2010, 10:39
yah disconnect the breather from airbox, but dont plug it just point it somewhere it wont allow fumes to be sucked into the airbox :)
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: tony_ack on 19 August 2010, 00:39
Sorry to resurrect this, just thought I'd post my progress so far.

Changed the ISV for the one I had replaced it with, and no change.
The garage reset the CO/Idle after I fixed some air leaks on the inlet and exhaust. No change (though CO needs setting again as it's running lean now)
All wiring on the side of the head seems okay

I notice that the idle improves slightly when I turn the dash lights down, and picks up when I turn them up again. There is a mass of dodgy wiring behind the dash (retrofitted electric windows with 'custom' loom  :sick: ) so I would bet on an issue with the ISV controller, or the wiring (maybe it's sharing an earth with the dash lights or something else on that circuit?)
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: clipperjay on 19 August 2010, 01:30
Isolate the headlights pull the fuses and check if the ISV is still getting current? If not, then you found the problem. Then I recomend you trace the whole loom for the headlights to see if any wires seem amiss or melted itself on the loom for the ISV failing that try and re run the three wires from ISV and controller to a seperate plug to the fuse box? Guess the wires to ISV are less to deal with than headlight wires!
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: X4MGS on 19 August 2010, 02:32
Ant,

If you need a good MK2 Mechanic in the Sheffield area then you will not go wrong with my M8

Matt@Autohausdolby

http://www.autohausdolby.co.uk/

He drives a Valver and what he don't know about VW's, ain't worth knowing...
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on
Post by: tony_ack on 19 August 2010, 09:43
Ant,

If you need a good MK2 Mechanic in the Sheffield area then you will not go wrong with my M8

Matt@Autohausdolby

http://www.autohausdolby.co.uk/

He drives a Valver and what he don't know about VW's, ain't worth knowing...

I want to try and get to the bottom of this myself as I know how expensive electrics can be.

However if he knows how to diagnose issues with, and set up a k-jet properly, then I'll be getting in touch  :smiley:
Title: Re: 16v idle with lights turned on - RESOLVED!
Post by: tony_ack on 13 September 2010, 12:09
Another update on this - I've finally solved it!

The problem was that someone had connected the spare spade terminal (green wire) on the ISV controller loom to a spare plug coming out of the fusebox.

The spare plug (grey/blue wire) came out of the 'D' plug on the fusebox, and shared a pin with the cigarette lighter illumination.

I've disconnected the wire now and all is well!