GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: zedox on 13 July 2010, 15:10
-
Afternoon all,
Recently bought a mk2 Golf GTi 16v...
Left my lights on today which made me realise there is no buzzer to notify the driver when the door opens...
Should there be one, if so, which relay do I need to replace on the fuse box?
Ta
Antonio
-
not as std, there isinfoout there on how to wire em in. if its a later mk2 with ce2 fusebox you can splice 4 wires round the back and then the mk3 lights on warning relay plugs in and works
-
Cheers rubjonny!
Will have a look up, maybe put together a how-to guide if I persue this mod!
-
this is the wiring diagram for the MK3 relay, which is #36. even if you dont or cant fit it to the fusebox, you can use this to figure out the pinout on the back so you could add it to a separate relay holder above the fusebox
(http://vwtech.no-ip.info/images/golf/g3warningbuzzer.jpg)
-
Thanks very much!
Weekend project me thinks :D
-
Did you get anywhere with this mod??
I have a No 36 relay and am looking for a "Idiots Guide" to fitting it to my 1992 Mk2 Fusebox... As I left the lights on today... Grrrr
I would like to do it properly as there have been enough "Ray Charles" Sparkies around the car already!!!
RJ do you have a link to one??
If I manage to sus this out I will get it added to the Maint & Info section...
Thanks
-
There is this guide, http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13552.0, wouldnt be too hard to modify it to fit a MK3 relay. Its basically using the same connectors, ignition, door earth and lighting circuit
-
Thanks I have read that thread, but I really want a proper OEM style job using the proper #36 Relay mounted in the Fusebox if thats do-able...
Just me being Ana1 again... :rolleyes: :shocked:
-
cant you see the wiring diagram i posted for the 36 relay?
-
cant you see the wiring diagram i posted for the 36 relay?
Yes RJ but sorry to say its double dutch to my simple mind.....
Was/am never any good at following stuff like that.
-
ok, maybe this will help you decipher the diagram:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=90707.0
and here is a pic of the back of the CE2 fusebox, showing the letters of each socket. this is what L/2, L/4 etc refer to on the piccy above :)
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=44637.30
In simple terms, you need to add some wires to plug L and H before the 36 relay will work.
H/1 - key in ignition live from the ignition switch pin SU
L/2 - earth from the driver side door pin, its a brown white wire
L/3 - right hand rear light
L/4 - left hand rear light
-
The Master Of MK2's has spoken... :drool:
Thanks RJ I will have a play over the weekend...
ok, maybe this will help you decipher the diagram:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=90707.0
and here is a pic of the back of the CE2 fusebox, showing the letters of each socket. this is what L/2, L/4 etc refer to on the piccy above :)
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=44637.30
In simple terms, you need to add some wires to plug L and H before the 36 relay will work.
H/1 - key in ignition live from the ignition switch pin SU
L/2 - earth from the driver side door pin, its a brown white wire
L/3 - right hand rear light
L/4 - left hand rear light
-
RJ Question for you... I have been reading this thread and have I think sussed out the wiring, I have also been reading the Fuse Box FAQ and I saw that there is relay slot No 9, which is listed as Seat belt/lights on warning relay I have tried to plug in relay no 36 into this slot but nothing happened so I assume its not wired up...
I would like to be able to plug the #36 relay into that slot...
How do I do this???
Thanks
-
Been to a Scrap Yard today and picked up from a Seat a Stand alone Buzzer relay and factory mount which has the same pin numbers as the number 36 relay... for all of £3.00...
I have also ordered from the bay a Mk3 fuse box to take to bits to see how easy/difficult it would be to replace the CE2 MK2 one with this or to see how to connect the pins for the blank relay mount...
Has anyone tried thie before??
-
Well my MK3 CE2 fuse box arrived today...
So Ripped it apart and that was an enlightening experience... You can take it from that that its a No No - Back to the drawing board...
Best option seems to be the Seat 292 relay with the OEM mount... Wires are color coded to match the Mk3 No 36 relay, from the quick look I had so Will look into this over the weekend and should have a How to do it thread up then...
If anyone is interested....
-
If anyone is interested....
Interested :)
-
If anyone is interested....
Interested :)
:cool:
-
You more than likely have this sorted by now but if not and your still unsure with the fitting of a buzzer check out The battery brain dead easy to fit and say goodbye to coming back to a dead battery ( been there not good).
Hope this helps
-
Fitted
Also Done A Simple "How To Guide"...
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163818.0
Hope Peeps Like It!!!
-
Good info, cheers :cool:
-
:cool:
-
you've already sorted this, but let me clarify., the only way a 36 relay will work in the factory socket is if you add the missing pins as per my posts above. the mk3 fusebox is the same inside as a mk2 one, so swapping it wont help at all. you need to add the correct feeds to plug L on the fusebox, and you could have easily done this since you already knew enough to splice into the wires for the rear lighting harness ;)
all you had to do was get soem wires with fusebox pins on, splice those to the wires in your faq and push them into plug L in the right spots. before i got a terminal removal tool all i did was cut open spare plugs chopped out of mk3s in the scrappy with a sharp knife in order to retrieve the pins undamaged. you can also try using 2 watcmaker screwdrivers to release the clips but its fiddly.
-
Never thought about trying to attach the wires into the plug... Where did you get the removal tool??
I didn't totally understand that post that suggested adding the relative pins in to the sockets...
The reason I thought about the Mk3 box is that they have the relay fitted as standard, but I gather from what you are saying, the pins to the relay pins/sockets are already there its just a matter of fitting the wires into the relative plug/plugs....... It all becomes clear with your explanation now.... I take it that I would still have to splice into the K plug - pins 2 & 3 to loop over the input to Socket L - pins 3 & 4, then run a wire from the door switch to Socket L - pin 1.... Yes???
What I don't understand is why when I connected the live wire to pin 86 on the relay it didn't work & I had to disconnect it... :rolleyes:
I will add this info to the "How To Thread"... :smug:
Thanks again RJ.... :laugh:
you've already sorted this, but let me clarify., the only way a 36 relay will work in the factory socket is if you add the missing pins as per my posts above. the mk3 fusebox is the same inside as a mk2 one, so swapping it wont help at all. you need to add the correct feeds to plug L on the fusebox, and you could have easily done this since you already knew enough to splice into the wires for the rear lighting harness ;)
all you had to do was get soem wires with fusebox pins on, splice those to the wires in your faq and push them into plug L in the right spots. before i got a terminal removal tool all i did was cut open spare plugs chopped out of mk3s in the scrappy with a sharp knife in order to retrieve the pins undamaged. you can also try using 2 watcmaker screwdrivers to release the clips but its fiddly.
-
thats because the 'live' pin needs only to be live when the key is in the ignition, i.e. the warning only sounds when the key is not in the ignition. this feed comes from pin SU on the ignition switch on the MK3, which is also used to turn the radio on when the key is inserted :)
yeah to get it to work you add the required feeds to plug L as per the diagram above, plus the one to H1/7 from the ignition switch. although you dont really need this, just means the buzzer will down regardless of if the key is in the ignition or not!