GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: the_stink on 29 June 2010, 23:23
-
So I know before i bought a mkii i was warned about always having to fix stuff etc
but it just seems that its never ending and something new is going wrong pretty much every week, once problem sorted another once rears its ugly head! It just seems im spending more on fixing things and just getting a bit f**ked off :angry:
Im going to attempt to take the steering wheel off tomorrow and check all the connections on the indicator stalk as now the windscreen wiper is practically on all the time and i can get it to stop, 4L of washer fluid has been sprayed in the space of 3 days!
Get the feeling that id rather cut my losses and just get rid of it and get something that will just work!
-
You do seem to have had pretty rubbish luck with this one it has to be said.
The thing with old cars is you need to pick up the skills for quick and easy fault findings. I'd be out there with my multi meter testing all the connections to see where it's going open circuit. I think you're on the right track with the stalks though. They might just need a clean up and a tweak of the metal plates with a screw driver. If that doesn't do it there are normally plenty of sets on eBay and they're dead easy to swap over.
Nick
-
im a total tard when it comes to anything with this bloody car and its very frustrating as i haven't got a clue what to look for, but seriously would rather get the bus at the moment than drive it
-
Ah but think of that deep joy of satisfaction when you can stand back and admire the beast, once you have finally fixed everything. :grin:
And as a bonus, everyone in the MK2 section will be pestering you as your ever growing mechanical skills grant you Yoda like status. Give it a few years and Rubjonny can retire.. :grin:
You could also use your photo skills to compile a full colour 'how to' guide on everything you've had to do. Tidy :wink:
-
Stick with it :afro:
-
It's hardly rocket science - it's a Golf2!
Do you WANT to learn about it, or do you just want a car to drive and look good in?
You've paid over the odds for what you've bought, because you've bought on colour and the interior, you didn't buy on sound or uprated mechanicals, so you were likely to have issues with a 20 year old car. It's only what, six years younger than you for heaven's sake.
Once you've fixed things on the car they're unlikely to go wrong again in a hurry, so pucker up and build a better Golf, punk.
-
once you have finally fixed everything. :grin:
At this rate i may as well just rip everything out of the car and just replace the lot, ive got little to no patients at all and esp when its a wk by week affair and would rather be with out all the problems,
-
All part of the joys of running a older car.
-
At this rate i may as well just rip everything out of the car and just replace the lot, ive got little to no patients at all and esp when its a wk by week affair and would rather be with out all the problems,
QUITTER!
-
once you have finally fixed everything. :grin:
At this rate i may as well just rip everything out of the car and just replace the lot, ive got little to no patients at all and esp when its a wk by week affair and would rather be with out all the problems,
Then maybe a mk2 isn't for you mate? The reason I return to mk2s time and time again is because they're so easy to work on and fix and very easy to learn on. I've saved a fortune in garage bills!
-
It's hardly rocket science - it's a Golf2!
Do you WANT to learn about it, or do you just want a car to drive and look good in?
You've paid over the odds for what you've bought, because you've bought on colour and the interior, you didn't buy on sound or uprated mechanicals, so you were likely to have issues with a 20 year old car. It's only what, six years younger than you for heaven's sake.
Once you've fixed things on the car they're unlikely to go wrong again in a hurry, so pucker up and build a better Golf, punk.
Yeah i get what your saying DH but when you have had to pull over because your jet washers wont stop spraying washer fluid and the windscreen wiper wont stop and you haven't got the faintest idea what your even suppose to look for and then the car wont start for 20 mins (all sorted now ) it just gets a bit much, the car has got a full service history tons and tons of receipts for everything that has been replaced which im adding a fair few myself, i knew it needed some work but didnt expect it to be week by week
-
I am exactly the same with mine at the minute, I find if you get out and clean it, getting it looking a bit saucy it usually makes me feel a bit better about it.
Stick with it man, and like DH said, once things have been replaced you shouldn't have to worry about them for a good while. You never know, this wiper thing could well be the last thing that goes wrong with it in the time you own the car.
-
Just to make you feel a bit better, and to join you in solidarity of having to fix stuff, here's what I have lined up.
Just spent £217 on:
New front discs
New front pads
New front G60 top mounts
New rear top mounts
New front, middle and rear exhaust
Also going to purchase new Boge Turbo lowering kit, sunroof seal, speakers all round.
My driver door window regulator cable has snapped and the rear windows dont work, so the all need fixing/replacing.
I have to reseal all the door membranes.
I have to seal the pollen filter and throttle cable/bonnet cable holes before the rains come.
My wipers wont work when 'fast' is selected
I have to sort out the engine timing
I have to replace all the sound deadening and underlay
I have to fit my gear lever repair kit
I have to put new bulbs into the instrment binacle
And Last but not least I have to remove the rear bumper and fit a new frame as some bar steward with trailer caught the near side and ripped the bumper off the frame and bent the ends. Tidy
Just that cheer you up? :grin:
-
I am exactly the same with mine at the minute, I find if you get out and clean it, getting it looking a bit saucy it usually makes me feel a bit better about it.
Stick with it man, and like DH said, once things have been replaced you shouldn't have to worry about them for a good while. You never know, this wiper thing could well be the last thing that goes wrong with it in the time you own the car.
i very much doubt it, got to check the coolant levels tomorrow as the temp light was flashing at me on the drive home, need to get the steering checked again, as its just whining like feck and that was prob down to me and my bloody crash, it just seems since having this car i have had nothing but bad luck,
-
Just to make you feel a bit better, and to join you in solidarity of having to fix stuff, here's what I have lined up.
Just spent £217 on:
New front discs
New front pads
New front G60 top mounts
New rear top mounts
New front, middle and rear exhaust
Also going to purchase new Boge Turbo lowering kit, sunroof seal, speakers all round.
My driver door window regulator cable has snapped and the rear windows dont work, so the all need fixing/replacing.
I have to reseal all the door membranes.
I have to seal the pollen filter and throttle cable/bonnet cable holes before the rains come.
My wipers work except when 'fast' is selected
I have to sort out the engine timing
I have to replace all the sound deadening and underlay
I have to fit my gear lever repair kit
I have to put new bulbs into the instrment binacle
And Last but not least I have to remove the rear bumper and fit a new frame as some bar steward with trailer caught the near side and ripped the bumper of the frame and bent the ends. Tidy
Just that cheer you up? :grin:
not really kinda the opposite, just makes me realize what a shed ive got and how much i have to spend just so it works let alone how it looks or goes, not really feeling at all at the mo
-
I am exactly the same with mine at the minute, I find if you get out and clean it, getting it looking a bit saucy it usually makes me feel a bit better about it.
Stick with it man, and like DH said, once things have been replaced you shouldn't have to worry about them for a good while. You never know, this wiper thing could well be the last thing that goes wrong with it in the time you own the car.
i very much doubt it, got to check the coolant levels tomorrow as the temp light was flashing at me on the drive home, need to get the steering checked again, as its just whining like feck and that was prob down to me and my bloody crash, it just seems since having this car i have had nothing but bad luck,
I have read some of your threads in various sections of the forum and it does seem you are having some right bad luck with it unfortunately man. I'd be losing my rag in a big way by now, BUT it is a really nice car and you should stick with it.
-
Yeah, but think of how much more 'Badass' you look in a MK2.
Plus I hear the ladies love a man with mucky hands.
-
Plus I hear the ladies love a man with mucky hands.
Strange, but true :smiley:
If you don't want it any more, I'll have it!
If you're struggling in the summer, boy, just wait until winter comes.
You can't afford to let small problems turn into big ones on old cars - as soon as you get the first sign of trouble, get the Haynes out or look on the forum and try to fix the problem.
Once you've had the car a while, and done a fair number of repairs and replaced parts, you become a lot more confident of the reliability of the car.
Well worth sticking with it for the sense of satisfaction whe everything works, and the car is just the way you want it (never quite got to that point, but heard it's pretty nice!)
-
Joe, it's not an R32 and it's not a Golf4 GTI.
You are going to need to check oil and water on a weekly basis, as these cars do use both.
It's an old car. This is different motoring to what you're used to.
These are real issues you're bumping into and many of them are caused simply by the age of the parts. Unlike a Golf4 they're issues that can be resolved with relative ease, as the systems they are in are pretty simple.
Have you replaced the belts on the motor since you first mentioned a problem with the power steering?
Did you get the alignment done at Protyre, or some other place?
Stick with it, bud. A Golf2 on song is a fantastic thing.
-
Joe, it's not an R32 and it's not a Golf4 GTI.
You are going to need to check oil and water on a weekly basis, as these cars do use both.
It's an old car. This is different motoring to what you're used to.
These are real issues you're bumping into and many of them are caused simply by the age of the parts. Unlike a Golf4 they're issues that can be resolved with relative ease, as the systems they are in are pretty simple.
Have you replaced the belts on the motor since you first mentioned a problem with the power steering?
Did you get the alignment done at Protyre, or some other place?
Stick with it, bud. A Golf2 on song is a fantastic thing.
Yeah this is something im coming to realize, well going to check all that today while im in this super grumpy mood, so far ive replaced the rad fan and starter motor, haven't changed the belts but will get a new one, the car had a brand new pne fitted before i got the the car, haven't had the alignment done by protyre, did have the steering checked by Vee W services when i first had my accident
Plus I hear the ladies love a man with mucky hands.
If you're struggling in the summer, boy, just wait until winter comes.
-
find myself in here :grin: :shocked:
mate stick with it your mk2 is a nice example i'm a mk2 fan myself :wink: as said to you remember its nigh on a 20 year old car and things will go wrong least parts are relatively cheaper than a mk4 :grin: even my mk4 is 9 year old this year just makes you realise :laugh:
do i feel the call of a mk 4 ownership again :wink: :tongue:
-
find myself in here :grin: :shocked:
mate stick with it your mk2 is a nice example i'm a mk2 fan myself :wink: as said to you remember its nigh on a 20 year old car and things will go wrong least parts are relatively cheaper than a mk4 :grin: even my mk4 is 9 year old this year just makes you realise :laugh:
do i feel the call of a mk 4 ownership again :wink: :tongue:
its very much a love hat relationship at the moment more hate than love at present but for now im sticking with it but we will see how much patients i have just the last couple fo weeks have been doing my head in :tongue:
-
find myself in here :grin: :shocked:
mate stick with it your mk2 is a nice example i'm a mk2 fan myself :wink: as said to you remember its nigh on a 20 year old car and things will go wrong least parts are relatively cheaper than a mk4 :grin: even my mk4 is 9 year old this year just makes you realise :laugh:
do i feel the call of a mk 4 ownership again :wink: :tongue:
its very much a love hat relationship at the moment more hate than love at present but for now im sticking with it but we will see how much patients i have just the last couple fo weeks have been doing my head in :tongue:
Not to be rude, but it's 'patience' :)
I remember my old white mk2, had a muck on with carbs which cost me a fortune and meant the car was off the road for 3-4 months.. But once it was back and working I fell straight in love with it again and was willing to forgive it for being an *rse :p
Remind yourself how much money you're saving over the R each month too ;) There's only so much that can go wrong with a mk2.. and as long as those parts are replaced properly then after a while, you will have a very reliable car! What's to say you sell the mk2, buy something else and have even more problems with that?
-
how much you wanting for it? fancy a deal on a rebuilt tt?
(http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/shrocco/TT/DSCF1268Medium.jpg)
(http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss194/shrocco/TT/DSCF1251Medium.jpg)
-
right well got the steering wheel off and checked all the connections and none were loose disconnected them and reconnected them, so thought id try the wipers to see if it had sorted itself out, NO is the simple answer flick the wipers on and then off and they stay on and what i can only assume is the motor for the wiper or the pump trying to suck 'nonexistent' wiper fluid making noises so f**k knows what it is but i haven't got a clue.
Went to fill the coolant up as that is a little low and some moron has basically twisted the cap on so tight i cant do it by hand, cant find anythign to help grip it, but there are deep scratch marks on it from where they tightened it so fecking tight
needless to say im still sick and tired of this car
Remind yourself how much money you're saving over the R each month too ;)
yeah but at least it worked :rolleyes:
-
What you need is a tool chest, you seem to make alot of work for yourself before you even start.
-
What you need is a tool chest, you seem to make alot of work for yourself before you even start.
well i got a shot load of spanners and wrenches etc and i was using some tools the other day but my dad has moved them and f**k knows where too! again id rather be getting the bus
-
actually f**k it ill just take the windscreen wiper off!!
-
how much would you sell it for?
-
right well got the steering wheel off and checked all the connections and none were loose disconnected them and reconnected them
When you say "checked" did you clean them up with contact cleaner, check the gapping and operation and use a multimeter? Or did you just look at them puzzled, blew on them, wiggled them and put them back on?
The washer, wiper circuit is reasonably simple but you need to follow electrical testing steps in the right order to trace back cables till you find the fault.
Nick
-
right well got the steering wheel off and checked all the connections and none were loose disconnected them and reconnected them
When you say "checked" did you clean them up with contact cleaner, check the gapping and operation and use a multimeter? Or did you just look at them puzzled, blew on them, wiggled them and put them back on?
The washer, wiper circuit is reasonably simple but you need to follow electrical testing steps in the right order to trace back cables till you find the fault.
Nick
Come on Nick this is me, im not cut out for Mkii ownership, i looked at the blew on them and thought that was 'jobs a good un' I don't have a multimeter or even know what to look for or check, this is why im finding it so frustrating and pretty much want to get rid but then i realised that my fecking V5 still hasnt turned up!! so now i ned to bloody chase the DVLA find out what the hell is going on thats nearly 3 months!!!
-
Hang in there dude, i felt the same with mine when i first got her, but battled through winter and then she blew up, now its all come together and im loving it! All it needs in a new cv joint :grin:
-
I think you've gone into this with the wrong attitude.
It might well 'be you' but an ounce of common sense should have enabled you to suss out that the ownership proposition for a Golf2 was going to be very different to a Golf4 and that it would involve spanners.
When you chirped about the steering I said 'take it to Protyre', not Vee W - Protyre have the kit to properly diagnose whether all four wheels are pointing vaguely where they should be. it's what they do all day. I don't think Vee W are set up, or minded to do that sort of diagnostics.
When you said there was a problem with the steering first thing I suggested was to replace the belts. You haven't done that and you're still moaning about a steering issue.
Nick's suggested a course of action on the indicators, which you've not gone down. Another route would be to hook up with Beavis and try a set of his stalks on your car. This would eliminate the stalks as an issue, which might move you on to the relay.
Unless you approach the issues with your car appropriately and level headedly you're going to become very frustrated very fast (and you are).
If I was still in Bristol I'd say 'come round for an evening' and I'd go through the whole car with you and chase down some easily solved issues. Being on the IOW now kinda screws that option. :sad:
-
i cant hack it once im settled in my new job im going to look for something else, sorry but its making me go insane and very angry :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
-
What you need is a f*cking good slap.
-
I think you've gone into this with the wrong attitude.
It might well 'be you' but an ounce of common sense should have enabled you to suss out that the ownership proposition for a Golf2 was going to be very different to a Golf4 and that it would involve spanners.
When you chirped about the steering I said 'take it to Protyre', not Vee W - Protyre have the kit to properly diagnose whether all four wheels are pointing vaguely where they should be. it's what they do all day. I don't think Vee W are set up, or minded to do that sort of diagnostics.
When you said there was a problem with the steering first thing I suggested was to replace the belts. You haven't done that and you're still moaning about a steering issue.
Nick's suggested a course of action on the indicators, which you've not gone down. Another route would be to hook up with Beavis and try a set of his stalks on your car. This would eliminate the stalks as an issue, which might move you on to the relay.
Unless you approach the issues with your car appropriately and level headedly you're going to become very frustrated very fast (and you are).
If I was still in Bristol I'd say 'come round for an evening' and I'd go through the whole car with you and chase down some easily solved issues. Being on the IOW now kinda screws that option. :sad:
you hit the nail on the head DH im so used to cars just working and not having to do much, im never level headed im always in a rush to get things done and this leads to me swearing alot and get angry
-
I'm just repeating what others have said really, but stick at it mate. It'll be worth it in the end. I wish my mk2 looked as good as yours!
Was gutted reading about your crash, but you sorted it out super quickly! Is this car your daily? Maybe park it up for a week or so and if you still feel the love has gone maybe it's time to sell.
I could torch my bloody 8v at the moment, I've spent about £800 on it recently over past couple of months and the fecking thing still isn't tip top. It's my daily too. I WILL get there though :grin:
Hang in there mate, it really does look superb.
-
right well got the steering wheel off and checked all the connections and none were loose disconnected them and reconnected them
When you say "checked" did you clean them up with contact cleaner, check the gapping and operation and use a multimeter? Or did you just look at them puzzled, blew on them, wiggled them and put them back on?
The washer, wiper circuit is reasonably simple but you need to follow electrical testing steps in the right order to trace back cables till you find the fault.
Nick
Come on Nick this is me, im not cut out for Mkii ownership, i looked at the blew on them and thought that was 'jobs a good un' I don't have a multimeter or even know what to look for or check, this is why im finding it so frustrating and pretty much want to get rid but then i realised that my fecking V5 still hasnt turned up!! so now i ned to bloody chase the DVLA find out what the hell is going on thats nearly 3 months!!!
I do know how you feel. When I first got driving I had no real idea about fixing cars and I got frustrated and annoyed wiht my old bangers. Eventually I started to pluck up the courage to really dive in and try and fix things myself. I bought a haynes manual, some tools and got cracking. There were good days and there were plenty of bad ones along the way but I learnt a lot. I still struggle with confidence in my own abilities and often have to have anothe rpair of hands to help, even if it's just for encouragment and making tea.
10 years ago I couldn't have told you what might be up with your wipers, but now I'd be happy to pull your car apart and fix it. If you're free on saturday you're welcome to razz it up to Basingstoke and we can have a play around with all the bits and bobs you're not happy with.
Older car ownership is much like a high maintenance Mrs. You have to put a fair amount of effort in aand learn new stuff to keep her sweet, but when it's sweet, it's really sweet.
However, all that said some people are just not cut out for it and are better off with a modern car that should be more reliable. Problem with those is if you get a lemon they cost a lot more to get right. At the end of the day only you can decide when you've had enough. I would perhaps suggest get some forum members together, get your car a good going over and sort all the little niggles and then give it a few months. THere are few things in life as good as a MKII when it's all working!
nick
-
i cant hack it once im settled in my new job im going to look for something else, sorry but its making me go insane and very angry :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
we've not spoken on here before, hello, my name is shaun and i'm a short tempered impatient g1t. Like you I got very stressed with car problems, even when i knew how to fix them, if its not a quick job or it doesnt work first time i spit my dummy out and have a tantrum and instantly fall out with it... this was mainly due to the fact that my pride and joy was also my daily so when things broke it was a real big problem... i realised how petty this was when the car got totalled, its also no longer my daily (which helps as the pressure is off to fix things fast).. is it feasable to buy a cheap run around while you take a step back and breath?.... if not, then i can only suggest you just stop fire fighting and give the car a real good going over, find as many problems as you can and spend a weekend or whatever getting them sorted... MK1s and 2s do NOT constantly break down, you have taken it off a previous owner who has left a few things a little tired. once you get through all the issues you find you'll end up with a great car that will last for ages. sad thing is you havent owned it long enough to love it regardless.
I hope you you keep the mk2 long enough to realise that she will love you back one day (soon)! :smiley:
-
right well got the steering wheel off and checked all the connections and none were loose disconnected them and reconnected them
When you say "checked" did you clean them up with contact cleaner, check the gapping and operation and use a multimeter? Or did you just look at them puzzled, blew on them, wiggled them and put them back on?
The washer, wiper circuit is reasonably simple but you need to follow electrical testing steps in the right order to trace back cables till you find the fault.
Nick
Come on Nick this is me, im not cut out for Mkii ownership, i looked at the blew on them and thought that was 'jobs a good un' I don't have a multimeter or even know what to look for or check, this is why im finding it so frustrating and pretty much want to get rid but then i realised that my fecking V5 still hasnt turned up!! so now i ned to bloody chase the DVLA find out what the hell is going on thats nearly 3 months!!!
I do know how you feel. When I first got driving I had no real idea about fixing cars and I got frustrated and annoyed wiht my old bangers. Eventually I started to pluck up the courage to really dive in and try and fix things myself. I bought a haynes manual, some tools and got cracking. There were good days and there were plenty of bad ones along the way but I learnt a lot. I still struggle with confidence in my own abilities and often have to have anothe rpair of hands to help, even if it's just for encouragment and making tea.
10 years ago I couldn't have told you what might be up with your wipers, but now I'd be happy to pull your car apart and fix it. If you're free on saturday you're welcome to razz it up to Basingstoke and we can have a play around with all the bits and bobs you're not happy with.
Older car ownership is much like a high maintenance Mrs. You have to put a fair amount of effort in aand learn new stuff to keep her sweet, but when it's sweet, it's really sweet.
However, all that said some people are just not cut out for it and are better off with a modern car that should be more reliable. Problem with those is if you get a lemon they cost a lot more to get right. At the end of the day only you can decide when you've had enough. I would perhaps suggest get some forum members together, get your car a good going over and sort all the little niggles and then give it a few months. There are few things in life as good as a MKII when it's all working!
nick
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ive got me haynes got most of the tools i need but i think its just patients
I know how sick this car can be its just doing my head in as it its my daily! and i don't think i can really afford to get another car to run around in, I do need to take some deep breaths! but yeah would be happy to drive down to you nick and see what we can do / fix ill let you know as i got a party im going to on friday but i may give it a miss as i need to sort this sh!t out ASAP!
and maybe if i bring my new front bumper along we could at least sort that out?
-
I'll check with Mrs Horney tonight as I might be Ok to do sunday instead if that suits your hangover better :grin:
Nick
-
I'll check with Mrs Horney tonight as I might be Ok to do sunday instead if that suits your hangover better :grin:
Nick
hahaha let me know dude :grin:
-
I'll check with Mrs Horney tonight as I might be Ok to do sunday instead if that suits your hangover better :grin:
Nick
hahaha let me know dude :grin:
In the mean time write down a list of everything that's bugging you/not working/you're not sure about and PM it to me or post it up in here. That way we have something to work to.
Nick
-
Things in this life worth having never come easy :afro:
-
It's hardly rocket science - it's a Golf2!
Do you WANT to learn about it, or do you just want a car to drive and look good in?
You've paid over the odds for what you've bought, because you've bought on colour and the interior, you didn't buy on sound or uprated mechanicals, so you were likely to have issues with a 20 year old car. It's only what, six years younger than you for heaven's sake.
Once you've fixed things on the car they're unlikely to go wrong again in a hurry, so pucker up and build a better Golf, punk.
Yeah i get what your saying DH but when you have had to pull over because your jet washers wont stop spraying washer fluid and the windscreen wiper wont stop and you haven't got the faintest idea what your even suppose to look for and then the car wont start for 20 mins (all sorted now ) it just gets a bit much, the car has got a full service history tons and tons of receipts for everything that has been replaced which im adding a fair few myself, i knew it needed some work but didnt expect it to be week by week
Take the fuse out.....
-
It's hardly rocket science - it's a Golf2!
Do you WANT to learn about it, or do you just want a car to drive and look good in?
You've paid over the odds for what you've bought, because you've bought on colour and the interior, you didn't buy on sound or uprated mechanicals, so you were likely to have issues with a 20 year old car. It's only what, six years younger than you for heaven's sake.
Once you've fixed things on the car they're unlikely to go wrong again in a hurry, so pucker up and build a better Golf, punk.
Yeah i get what your saying DH but when you have had to pull over because your jet washers wont stop spraying washer fluid and the windscreen wiper wont stop and you haven't got the faintest idea what your even suppose to look for and then the car wont start for 20 mins (all sorted now ) it just gets a bit much, the car has got a full service history tons and tons of receipts for everything that has been replaced which im adding a fair few myself, i knew it needed some work but didnt expect it to be week by week
Take the fuse out.....
just been reading the maintenance section trying to figure out which one is it C 2 - grn/red- washer motor pin +,7 - brn/blu- washer motor pin, H1 6 - brn - wiper stalk 4pin plug pin 3
-
Front wiper and washers, fuse number 11, relay number 8
-
If i were you , I would make a list of all the aliments you believe the car to be suffering from.
and post it , bullet point them out here.
I bet most fixes are 2 min jobs.
My E Reg , 23 year old Golf is the most fun and relible car Ive ever owned.
I have had both brand new cars and a variaty of 2nd hand motors over the years, i would put the golf above all of them in terms of simpleness, cheapness of parts and ease of mainternance (but Im very handy with a spanner) . But even so , £500 quid spent on the problems at a local reputable garage and you laughing and driving a mint ~Mk2.
at the end of the day these motors are basic nuts and bolts, with very basic electrics.
I would not even consider looking after a new car, as you have to plug them into a computer to work out whats wrong and all sensors cost $$$$ when they fail and you get ass raped for the cost of replacing bits.
-
well been out for a drive and i do love that car just piss's me off to easy!!! :rolleyes:
-
At the risk of sounding like an old man 3 times my actual age... :tongue:
I think too many people 'nowadays' have the wrong attitude towards problems. I have loads of mates who give up too easily, declare "I can't do it" and expect someone else to fix it for them. I put it down to a lack of perseverance and a lack of willingness to learn - almost anybody could be capable if they just put their minds to it. Especially when it comes to mk2's - it ain't rocket science, just a few nuts, bolts and wires. :rolleyes:
Stick at it, and you'll learn more and more as you go along. :smiley:
-
The way i think is that you cant f**k it up, if there is something wrong with it and you have a go and cant quite do it, its in the same position (or even better if you have stripped something for em) as taking it straight to the garage, and with most cases will face a smaller bill cos you will have knocked of an hours worth diagnostics and they can see that your not a complete moron. But if you fix it there isn't a bill at the end of it!
Top Bombing! :smiley:
-
My oaky has its niggles, gotta buy a new sump and gasket as im losing oil. Both my oil coolant hoses blew of, all my wheels needed balancing and been on a flat bed twice. Only had it four months but i fix the problems as they come up, been reliable last few months.
-
stick with it mate .....you gotta start learning to use the spanners though even if you balls it up then you can take it to the garage.
i would say almost if not everyone on here as had to spend money replace parts on their mk2s when they first got them to get them up to scratch and for peace of mind. mines my daily never let me down but when something goes wrong on it i sort it straight away and dont scrimp on parts that way you stay on top of it. for real hair pulling out stuff...try building/owning a lambretta ......but a honda melody is not an option :grin:
-
Throwing the toys out of the pram won't mend your car! :tongue:
DH I'm suprised you havent said "man up" yet. :huh:
You have to be in a certain mind-set to command the love from an older car. Its certainly more rewarding then owning anything modern, just as long as you're happy to spend the time fixing the niggles and putting up with the rattles & smoke!
-
Throwing the toys out of the pram won't mend your car! :tongue:
DH I'm suprised you havent said "man up" yet. :huh:
You have to be in a certain mind-set to command the love from an older car. Its certainly more rewarding then owning anything modern, just as long as you're happy to spend the time fixing the niggles and putting up with the rattles & smoke!
here here. :smiley:
-
You won't find much sympathy in this section, we all cope with it :grin:
-
Joe, man-up, you slack motherf*cker.
There, that should do it.
-
This warm weather must be agreeing with DH, been quite constructive and helpful lately so I see!
Good times.
-
In the mean time write down a list of everything that's bugging you/not working/you're not sure about
This is the first thing you should have done when you got the car.
Make a list of all the problems
Come on here to find out how people have fixed them in the past
Make a list of the parts you need, and find them/get them ordered
Some of the problems will be easy to fix, others will bug you to the point where you'll end up having to take it to a garage.
Also look through the service history to see what has been done, and when - at least this way you can anticipate problems before they actually happen.
My oaky has its niggles, gotta buy a new sump and gasket as im losing oil. Both my oil coolant hoses blew of, all my wheels needed balancing and been on a flat bed twice. Only had it four months but i fix the problems as they come up, been reliable last few months.
Just got these bits for mine. £100 from VW for the sump, gasket and bolts.
-
What you need is a f*cking good slap.
This made me laff.... Made my day!! My thoughts Too....
Stop whinging and get on with it... You sound like a totally spoilt brat... :laugh:
Why buy a 20 year old car if you dont expect to have to do some work on it... :shocked: I knew nothing about mechanicing when I bought mine... but have just fitted new heater matrix & front springs to my Lads Mk2 driver and an ARB to my GTI...
Get your Haynes manual Read it, Read It Again and again and again.... Then look at the car and start the job and keep reading it again... if you get stuck ask on here, but listen and take note of the advice....
Keep banging away at it and you will get there in the end!!
-
Keep banging away at it and you will get there in the end!!
The answer to a lot of lifes problems.
-
Get your Haynes manual Read it, Read It Again and again and again.... Then look at the car and start the job and keep reading it again...
OR...
Buy a the mk2 golf Bentley workshop manual. Then you wouldnt have to read it 5 times :tongue:
-
or you chould kidnap beavis and his portable HDD, pin him down with the haynes manaul and transport up here. then i can bribe him with MSG to fix some software on my laptop.
by then your wipers will have magicaly got better
-
Get your Haynes manual Read it, Read It Again and again and again.... Then look at the car and start the job and keep reading it again...
OR...
Buy a the mk2 golf Bentley workshop manual. Then you wouldnt have to read it 5 times :tongue:
I have got one!!
But I bet you its too technical for him and it only covers engine and electrics etc, not the very basics like the Haynes...
Would be better spending £50.00 on some tools!!
-
Joe, I had exactly the problem you are having with your wipers happen to mine.
Only it happened driving back to London from Bristol after I had bought it!
Bought a replacement MFA stalk on ebay fitted it, almost fixed it but then had to take both stalks off and clean them and all the plug connectors with switch cleaner.
Now all good.
I bought the car 6 months ago and I have:
Wipers and wash jets on permanently - replaced stalk and cleaned connections. (20 quid)
Right front indicator not working sometimes - replaced unit. (10 quid)
Couldn't select reverse and changing poorly - replaced bushes, ball, linkages and put in weighted link arm. (40 quid) (plus labour for garage as I had 2 broken fingers at the time!)
Stalling at junctions and popping on lift off - rubber conv joint from breather on rocker cover (2.12 inc VAT 2 minutes)
Interior trim cam off passenger door - bought new grommets from VAG (3 quid)
Had clutch cable snap driving home from work - replaced auto-adjuster for manual one (10 quid and 40 minutes!)
Fitted new amp and sub woofer - 45 quid on ebay for sub woofer and 4 amps, sold 2 of the amps for 45 quid so worked out as free!
I thrash her on the weekends and the wife uses her as a daily. Now the stalling issue is fixed even my fussy 'biker' wife loves the car.
:smug:
I have the stereo, sub and amps all as I want. Just need the cash to put new shoes on my BBS alloys and replace the TSWs on it at the moment and then either take the car to work and remove the headlining to see if I can repair it. (I'm a drapist!) Or find a half way decent price for one on ebay or from Leroy.
I have to say I know a fair bit about the theory of car mechnics but bugger all about the practice. In the last 6 months i have learnt more than I could have imagined, I have a smile on my face not only when I'm driving but when I cycle home from work and pass her.....
:drool:
-
Chin up, as people have been saying it's joys of having a 20yr old car. Plus in those 20yrs I doubt it has spent much time revolving on a pedestal in a heated garage.
Think about what you would be dealing with if it were the equivilent aged Escort or Astra?
When was the last time you saw a Renault 11 on the road?
I hadn't really done much to cars before other than resprays and cosmetics, but a I have changed my suspension, speedo cable, clutch, clutch cable. Sorted a dodgy earth by process of elimination. Fitted a stereo, changed locks. Changed master cyclinder, made up brake pipes, stripped calipers. Fooked bleed nipples :grin: and learned from my mistakes to come back stronger with more ambitious plans (Engine swap :lipsrsealed:)
Granted it's been the least reliable mk2 I've ever owned but I bought it as a resto/daily, yes I've nearly thrown spanners through the windscreen, yes I've thought about setting fire to it. Yes for big stuff (16v timing belt) I've deffered to those with experience (and paid for the pleasure) but would I sell it now it's running right? Not likely.
Have a cup of tea, take five, come back and think about it logically and the solution usually presents itself. Or come on here and bother people, it's what I do.
Owning a mk2 is likely either to break you or turn you into a spanner spinning ninja.
Finally if it's really not for you then give it to me as I need spares for my OG dammit...... :laugh:
-
Thats how i feel on my car sometimes, doesn't start up, i know its the starter motor but havnt had time to sort it yet. stalls on the first two junctions from my house! Still dont know whats causing it, kind of sorted cold start by cleaner the nipple thing still does it though and pops on down shifting at high revs! got a cracked manifold so could be that!.
-
If you don't love it enough to learn how to fix it then give it up... Gotta learn how to roll with the bad times and enjoy the good..... I knew very little about cars but now 2 years later I am as said "a spanner spinning ninja" :grin: and I must say it's the most rewarding feeling in the world... I hate it when people just buy into the trend of anything..... It has to be built not bought IMHO :lipsrsealed:
-
I hate it when people just buy into the trend of anything..... It has to be built not bought IMHO :lipsrsealed:
What if they're just paying someone else to do what they want to be done?
-
That's fine but they'll never learn anything then it becomes a money pit..... I don't trust anybody to touch mine.... It's not rocket science, everything that has gone wrong with mine I've found the answers on here most people are helpful and understanding there is a whole lotta experience on here. :nerd:
-
unless you get very cheap labour rates (or free labour if you swindle it) because you work at a motor factors/garage :smug:
only for the pain-in-ass jobs of course, like rear beam bushes :grin:
-
Stalling at junctions and popping on lift off - rubber conv joint from breather on rocker cover (2.12 inc VAT 2 minutes)
where did you get this from could do with it for mine
-
Stalling at junctions and popping on lift off - rubber conv joint from breather on rocker cover (2.12 inc VAT 2 minutes)
where did you get this from could do with it for mine
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-GTI-MK1-MK2-MK3-MK4-PASSAT-POLO-BREATHER-GROMMET-/270567724178?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3eff17d492
:afro:
-
only for the pain-in-ass jobs of course, like rear beam bushes :grin:
:grin: true or the under car fuel filter that hadn't been changed since God was a lad :lipsrsealed:
I agree generally though, why pay someone else to bollox something when I can bollox it up for free?
At least that way you gain the experience for the next time.
-
that fuel filter, those have been known make my head spin more than the pub on occasion.
-
That's fine but they'll never learn anything then it becomes a money pit..... I don't trust anybody to touch mine.... It's not rocket science, everything that has gone wrong with mine I've found the answers on here most people are helpful and understanding there is a whole lotta experience on here. :nerd:
trust me - there are people out in this big bad world of ours who should NEVER be allowed to pick up a spanner and work on cars :shocked:
-
GSF.
Pop the hood and look at the mushroom sitting on top of the rocker cover. Is it solid or does it wobble? the rubber grommit that seals the mushroom into the rocker cover could be split...
104VG0060 BREATHER BUNG-ON CAM COV. G2 1.8 8v F.Inj (Not G60) 8/83 >10/91 1.80
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=158476.0
Stalling at junctions and popping on lift off - rubber conv joint from breather on rocker cover (2.12 inc VAT 2 minutes)
where did you get this from could do with it for mine
-
That's fine but they'll never learn anything then it becomes a money pit..... I don't trust anybody to touch mine.... It's not rocket science, everything that has gone wrong with mine I've found the answers on here most people are helpful and understanding there is a whole lotta experience on here. :nerd:
trust me - there are people out in this big bad world of ours who should NEVER be allowed to pick up a spanner and work on cars :shocked:
yes chuff this is true goes double for some of the muppets that work in garages tho. When I first had mine I got a so called mobile tuner to sort my timing the dumb ass tried setting it up and it didn't run at all :rolleyes: I told him to feck off and leave it alone. Printed out rubjohnnys timing guide for the digi and did it myself end of the afternoon purring like a kitten... Frightened the crap out of me but I've never looked back :cool:
-
GSF.
Pop the hood and look at the mushroom sitting on top of the rocker cover. Is it solid or does it wobble? the rubber grommit that seals the mushroom into the rocker cover could be split...
104VG0060 BREATHER BUNG-ON CAM COV. G2 1.8 8v F.Inj (Not G60) 8/83 >10/91 1.80
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=158476.0
I bought one last month from my local vw dealer genuine vw for £3.18
Stalling at junctions and popping on lift off - rubber conv joint from breather on rocker cover (2.12 inc VAT 2 minutes)
where did you get this from could do with it for mine
-
Mr Stink paid a visit to Chez Horney this morning for some tinkering.
* Stalks are worn out and sticking no matter how much you cleaned them up and tweaked them. New set required.
* Replacement front bumper fitted but without the fogs as the old brackets were fecked. I think he's either gonna source new brackets or some brake ducts instead.
* Power steering is the belt slipping on the pump pulley. Seemed tight enough and it has a new belt. Due to lack of time I advised dropping it into VeeW services in Bristol for them to take a nosey.
* Drivers Electric window US. Didn't have time to look at this.
* While he was at mine the bloody boot popper broke. Took it off but now the boot has to be opened from the inside. He has a replacement boot but no key for it so a new lock for that and get it fitted and problem solved.
Another couple of days of tinkering, a few replacement bits and it'll be a cracker.
Nick
-
Great news... Hope you showed him how simple these cars are to work on!!
Did you have to give him a slap??? :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
Or a Chill Pill... :tongue:
-
Well done Nick.... Maybe he'll be a happy chappy now :rolleyes:
-
Ye nice one nick, smimples eh? It does take a little getting used to to just have the guts to start ripping stuff apart
-
glad Joe is feeling the love again is all, fair play that man Mr Horney :afro: