GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: shaolindan on 29 March 2010, 14:39

Title: Coilover setup
Post by: shaolindan on 29 March 2010, 14:39
Talking to Wayne earlier and said that my mechanic (my stand in till my broken fingers and elbow are fixed!) when I asked him to raise the ride height on my coilovers said that the ride became harder.
Wayne said this didn't happen on his car. I have done further research but can't seem to find a sticky on mk2 or garage sections on this. Is there a good FAQ out there?

I have, however, found this quite interesting thread discussing coilover mechanics on a Mazda forum:
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=600868

It might be possible that my mechanic was adjusting from the springs...
Title: Re: Coilover setup
Post by: Sam on 29 March 2010, 20:13
I cant really see how relieving some of the pressure on a compressed spring can make it harder!!!??
Title: Re: Coilover setup
Post by: harry bum on 29 March 2010, 20:22
it will get harder as you are compressing the spring. :smiley:
Title: Re: Coilover setup
Post by: Wayne on 30 March 2010, 00:38
it will get harder as you are compressing the spring. :smiley:

I never found that on my mk3.
Title: Re: Coilover setup
Post by: harry bum on 30 March 2010, 07:28
When you raise the ride hight the wind the spring up,

making the spring smaller and in most cases making the ride firmer than before.
Title: Re: Coilover setup
Post by: VeeDubGTI16v on 30 March 2010, 08:41
yep, you are increasing the preload as you wind the spring up

most road springs have progressive coils so you won't feel it stiffening much until the softer coils are compressed