GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk2 => Topic started by: drapergti on 15 March 2010, 07:58

Title: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: drapergti on 15 March 2010, 07:58
Hi I am planning on changing the heater matrix and change the radiator in my 1990 16v, I'm going to buy the MK3 one from GSF, bt for the Rad I can not see one listed, on searching here the part number quotes does not appear on the GSF website any ideas?

Also do I need to buy anything else other than those two parts?

Are there any othere jobs you would recommend whilst its all in bits?

Thanks
Stu

Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: jamie_pyrite on 15 March 2010, 11:48
Just make sure you buy the £37.80 Heater Matrix and not the cheaper one :)

Maybe worth sticking a new thermostat in while there's no coolant in the system?
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: drapergti on 15 March 2010, 12:23
Will do, managed to get the bits, just need to add.a first aid kit to the list!
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: Brayster on 15 March 2010, 14:15
The new matrix might smoke when u first turn the engine on don't worry like I did if so!!! I'm told it's just the coating added to stop it from rusting in the warehouse... Or u could clean it first? 
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: Reasty on 15 March 2010, 17:18
My matrix didn't smoke but there was a burning smell for a while so don't worry if you do smell burning as it's just the newness burning off the matrix,I'd also check when the cambelt is due and if it is soon I'd get the waterpump and cambelt done at the sametime,then everything is done and you won't have to drain the system again. just a suggestion tho  :smiley:
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: Jay on 15 March 2010, 17:21
Isn't it suggested to wash off the crap in water soapy water before installing the new matrix so it doesn't stink the car out when you use the heater the first time after replacing the matrix? :undecided:
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: Reasty on 15 March 2010, 18:38
Isn't it suggested to wash off the crap in water soapy water before installing the new matrix so it doesn't stink the car out when you use the heater the first time after replacing the matrix? :undecided:

Yes.......but i didnt  :tongue:
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: Ben Lessani on 15 March 2010, 18:54
Isn't it suggested to wash off the crap in water soapy water before installing the new matrix so it doesn't stink the car out when you use the heater the first time after replacing the matrix? :undecided:

Never noticed a smell in mine :undecided:
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: Jay on 15 March 2010, 20:24
I've never had to do one (yet) but read a lot of people complaining about the smell afterwards  :grin:  :lipsrsealed:
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: rubjonny on 16 March 2010, 10:21
not just a smell on mine, loads of grey smoke out the vents. took ages to burn off!
gsf dont appear to do a 16v rad, an 8v one will fit but its longer so you need the top & bottom hoses, plus the rad fan shroud.
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: drapergti on 16 March 2010, 19:49
Ah, that probably means I will be going back to GSF, as I have a box with a rad in it, which I was told would be suitable.  :angry:

Where can I get a proper 16v one from without having to buy a load of other stuff?

If anyone knows the sizes etc I can phone a specialist I guess (good old yellow pages) but if the is an off the shelf solution it would be handy.

Thanks
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: drapergti on 16 March 2010, 23:24
Ah, that probably means I will be going back to GSF, as I have a box with a rad in it, which I was told would be suitable.  :angry:

Where can I get a proper 16v one from without having to buy a load of other stuff?

If anyone knows the sizes etc I can phone a specialist I guess (good old yellow pages) but if the is an off the shelf solution it would be handy.

Thanks


I have just checked the receipt, its part no 17333, which I thought was the right one?
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: rubjonny on 17 March 2010, 14:54
cant seem to find that with gsf part search,. it could be a 1.6 carby rad which is same physical size? 16v rad is double cored though. tbh it might be ok, but I've never tried runnign a 1.6 rad on a 16v so cant really say. done it the other way round tho  :grin:
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: drapergti on 17 March 2010, 16:26
Ok, thanks what's the could it lead to overheating? Any places you could suggest or spec you could give me for the right one? Thanks in advance.

Stu
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: rubjonny on 17 March 2010, 17:49
maybe worth ringing them, to confirm if its a proper 16v one or not? worth dropping veew services a bell, they might have the bit you need :)
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: drapergti on 17 March 2010, 18:00
Will do thanks.
Title: Re: Heater Matrix and Radiator
Post by: jamie_pyrite on 18 March 2010, 22:04
I ran a 1.6 rad on my Jetta when I stuck an 8v Digi in and it ran perfect temp even after a good drive!