GolfGTIforum.co.uk
General => The garage => Topic started by: Mr.Tom on 24 August 2009, 06:57
-
Mk3 '96 2.0 GTi
Just now I had the power steering drop out for a couple of seconds twice on the way home.
Both times I was going around a 90 degree corner to the right. Once I had straightened up it was fine, and then did it again on another right hand corner a few mins later.
Fluids were all checked a couple of weeks ago by the garage I got it from. I did note that the steering had kind of moved itself, or jerked a few degrees when I reversed it on the test drive, but they couldn't find any problem, and it has been fine since. So thought it must have ben a pothole or something. Just the cut out today.
I also noticed that the smaller belt at the bottom of the engine has a few cracks forming between the teeth. Is that part of the power steering?
Cheers.
-
Yes it is if its cracked or perished replace it also check the tension.
-
The belt you mention is your power steering and i would say its slipping
need to replace belt and problem solved :smiley:
-
Nice. It is going into the garage anyway later, so I will get them to check it :)
Cheers.
-
These belts do need regular changing. I'm about to change mine for the 2nd time.
-
well i had mine on for over a year, it did the same it slipped when i would go round a bend or round about, so took it to mechanic and he just tensioned it prob gone now :cool:
-
Agreed it is the belt.. Mine did this when it was wet and the steering went very heavy on 90 turn. Belt was only about £10 and problem went.
-
I swapped the belt every year (for £3-4 a belt its worth it while your doing a service)
-
So, do I have to worry about lining things up, as with the main belt. Or is it okay to just jam a new one on there?
Anyone got a source for the belts? can't seem to find any on eBay, apart from this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-GOLF-1-9-TDI-POWER-STEERING-BELT-028-145-271_W0QQitemZ260434120483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca3154f23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VW-GOLF-1-9-TDI-POWER-STEERING-BELT-028-145-271_W0QQitemZ260434120483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca3154f23&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
Cheers.
-
is your GTI a 16V or standard 8v? go to euro car parts enter in your plate and go to the engine parts, then scroll down abit and you will see belts, you want to click on the driver belts then select the one you require if you need more info then call euro car parts, it states the conti belt? not sure what that is. but there you go a starter for you mate.
-
It's piss easy to change, have a read on it before you jump in though.
If it's like a Golf2, then in short it's loosen the PAS pump by undoing the 13mm nuts, retrieve old belt, place new belt over the pulleys, reposition pump so it's toight and do the nuts up. You might want to clean the pulleys while the belt is off.
-
Thanks. Found it. Will get one ordered. Got a Haynes manual as well to help with the changeover.