GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk4 => Topic started by: JDM82 on 18 August 2009, 20:44

Title: lowering car on 18's
Post by: JDM82 on 18 August 2009, 20:44
What in your opion is the right amount to lower a golf that is sitting on 18's? I need my golf lowering because since having the 18's fitted it handles like a shed and ive got steering wheel shake over 60 mph but I dont want the car too low I still need it to be practical for speed bumps etc.I brought a mk 3 that was already lowered and it was a nitemare I had to pre plan routes and even pull up and walk the last mile or so not good not good at all.
Title: Re: lowering car on 18's
Post by: Steve_PD on 18 August 2009, 20:48
steering wheel wobble is caused by your wheels not being balanced properly  :wink:
mine is around 50mm and have no problems with speed bumps, well apart from one on the weekend where the sill scrapped  :lipsrsealed:
Title: Re: lowering car on 18's
Post by: topher on 18 August 2009, 20:49
40mm is about right. Can't see the wheels causing steering wheel shake though unless they're badly out of balance, or the bolts not torqued up properly. You may have other issues there.. steering rack/tracking/hub etc etc.
Title: Re: lowering car on 18's
Post by: Steve_PD on 18 August 2009, 20:51
mine used to wobble when I had standard bolts with a 5mm spacer, bought some bigger bolts wobble gone  :smiley:
Title: Re: lowering car on 18's
Post by: Wayne on 19 August 2009, 09:43
Missing spiggot ring or out of balance.
Title: Re: lowering car on 18's
Post by: linz on 19 August 2009, 12:14
depends i have 19's with a 50-60mm drop