GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk4 => Topic started by: Dalo Harkin on 18 August 2009, 12:40

Title: Which Oil?
Post by: Dalo Harkin on 18 August 2009, 12:40
I have searched and read by the way  :undecided:

I have a W reg Mk IV GTI Turbo and need to know the oil as im servicing it at the end of the week!
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: mac456 on 18 August 2009, 13:30
people seem to use different oil -

my vw garage used 10w 40 on mine but some poeple use 5w 30  :undecided:
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Wurzel on 18 August 2009, 13:32
Most dealers seem to use 10w/40
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Rhyso on 18 August 2009, 13:40
have you read this

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=87370.0

 :smiley:
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Mr_Orange on 18 August 2009, 17:14
My 1.8T is on long-life.... I've searched around and there seems so much conflicting advice regarding suitable oils at what mileage and all that :undecided:

VW gave me two choices: Their Quantum stuff for like £40 and their "special" one for like £65 for big 5L.

Garage I've got doing the work has said they use a "Carlube" product or I have the option of something pricier (might have been a Shell type), or indeed I supply something myself. 

Where should I get it from and what product?
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Dalo Harkin on 18 August 2009, 17:34
Its never easy is it.............. :tongue:
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Mr_Orange on 18 August 2009, 20:04
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: AudiA8Quattro on 18 August 2009, 21:31
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: richw911 on 18 August 2009, 22:27
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?

I would agree  :smiley:
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: GOLF_STU on 18 August 2009, 23:03
please do not use 10/40w use 5/30w or your asking for trouble in the long run (personal experience  :sad:)
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: AudiA8Quattro on 18 August 2009, 23:09
Surely though once the engine has piled on a load of miles, ie. 90k +, 10w40 would be more suitable?
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Dalo Harkin on 18 August 2009, 23:59
Mines done just under 110K FSH
Still a bit weary about what oil - its due for a service and there are so many different opinions on plugs and oil  :undecided:

I am 99% certain my engine code has a Z in it and im bugg*red if im going looking for it now  :laugh:
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: topher on 19 August 2009, 00:11
on a W it would most likely be ARZ
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Teutonic_Tamer on 19 August 2009, 13:58
My 1.8T is on long-life.... I've searched around and there seems so much conflicting advice regarding suitable oils at what mileage and all that :undecided:

Look here - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=65779  :wink:

And get it OFF LongLife!  :wink:


VW gave me two choices: Their Quantum stuff for like £40 and their "special" one for like £65 for big 5L.

 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Did you have the letters M U & G tattoed on your forehead?  Those are truely shocking and scandalous prices!!!!!  Name and shame the stealer - because that really is robbery at those prices!  What, exactly where they offering?


Garage I've got doing the work has said they use a "Carlube" product or I have the option of something pricier (might have been a Shell type), or indeed I supply something myself. 

'Garage' and 'Carlube' should NEVER be used in the same sentance - and so-called garage which uses Carlube crap should best be described as cowboys!  Carlube is rubbish, utter rubbish - and I bet Tesco Value oil would be better!  :rolleyes:  WTF any 'professional' workshop is on if they think that Carlube is acceptable is truely beyond me!  No wonder the motor trade has such a bad name!  For the record, Carlube oils do NOT have any Volkswagen approvals, dispite what they say on their website.  Do NOT use that sh!t in any Dub!


Where should I get it from and what product?

You need an oil approved to either 503.00, 503.01, or 504.00 - from a quality European oil company.

HTH
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Teutonic_Tamer on 19 August 2009, 14:04
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

But it is really good stuff!

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

So exactly which Quantum flavour did they give you? :huh:

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.

BS - I really don't know why they keep spewing this rubbish out!  The 0w30 stuff is only really meant for three very specific Audi high performance engines.  Every Dub, from the original Beetle to the latest Toerag V10 TDI can all use the very latest LongLife 3 oil, which is 5w30.
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Teutonic_Tamer on 19 August 2009, 14:08
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?

I would agree  :smiley:

Not really.  The most important factor is the correct VW approval.  OK, if you have a tired, smoky worn-out engine, then you should obviously go for thicker viscosities - but if your mota is still tight and passes all the emissions tests, then just stick with the VW specs.
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Mr_Orange on 19 August 2009, 17:14
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

But it is really good stuff!

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

So exactly which Quantum flavour did they give you? :huh:

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.

BS - I really don't know why they keep spewing this rubbish out!  The 0w30 stuff is only really meant for three very specific Audi high performance engines.  Every Dub, from the original Beetle to the latest Toerag V10 TDI can all use the very latest LongLife 3 oil, which is 5w30.

Easy now!

The oil I picked up today was Long Life 3, VW code ZGB115QLB00501, specific to my vehicle details.

I'm going genuine VW all the way with everything service/fluid related.
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: AudiA8Quattro on 19 August 2009, 17:27
Surely the oil used is dependant on the mileage?

I would agree  :smiley:

Not really.  The most important factor is the correct VW approval.  OK, if you have a tired, smoky worn-out engine, then you should obviously go for thicker viscosities - but if your mota is still tight and passes all the emissions tests, then just stick with the VW specs.

Interesting you should say that.
I agree to use thin oil as long as you can, it will protect the engine better.
However as the miles pile on, inevitably clearances in the engine will increase, so thin oil will literally fall through the engine!!
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: Teutonic_Tamer on 19 August 2009, 20:01
I priced up the Castrol Edge stuff (yikes!).

But it is really good stuff!

Right decision made!  I'm going with the standard VW Quantum stuff.  I'll pick up a genuine oil filter while I'm there!   :wink:  I can then easily get the right top-up etc too.

So exactly which Quantum flavour did they give you? :huh:

Been told Yr 2000 is a cross-over year (for engine codes etc), the earlier engines want 0W30, later engines want 5W30 on long-life servicing.  Apparently.

BS - I really don't know why they keep spewing this rubbish out!  The 0w30 stuff is only really meant for three very specific Audi high performance engines.  Every Dub, from the original Beetle to the latest Toerag V10 TDI can all use the very latest LongLife 3 oil, which is 5w30.

Easy now!

The oil I picked up today was Long Life 3, VW code ZGB115QLB00501, specific to my vehicle details.

I'm going genuine VW all the way with everything service/fluid related.

But Quantum oils are NOT genuine VW!!!
Title: Re: Which Oil?
Post by: AudiA8Quattro on 19 August 2009, 22:30
Better to go to GSF and buy some Fuchs then?