GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Dannys Mk3 Project on 16 May 2009, 01:08

Title: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: Dannys Mk3 Project on 16 May 2009, 01:08
Little problem with the revs in 4th and 5th gear.

When I get to 2,500revs in either the rev needle shoots up but I get no real acceleration, but if I just back off the pedal slightly, then it seems to pick up speed at a slower but constant rate without over revving?

I don't rag my car and I am talking normal acceleration accelerator depressed like quarter to halfway?

Think it's my gearbox? Or could it be something different? ECU maybe?

EDIT** Duh, it's a MK3 1995 GTI 8v (if that helps)
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: lee_lee08 on 16 May 2009, 03:32
clutch slip? does it pull away with out juddering?

In 5th gear doing 30 and flooring the accelerator! is there nothing but revs or does it keep picking up speed (albeit gradually?)
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: Dannys Mk3 Project on 16 May 2009, 04:13
clutch slip? does it pull away with out juddering?

In 5th gear doing 30 and flooring the accelerator! is there nothing but revs or does it keep picking up speed (albeit gradually?)

Not long had a new clutch, although I have had a few problems....

I'll test the 30mph in 5th gear tomorrow and let you know, I aint going out at 4am :)

But thanks for reply, I'll test it out tomorrow.

Pulls away fine also :)
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: Wayne on 16 May 2009, 09:10
Might be that your crank shaft oil seal has failed and oil has got onto the clutch.
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: mk3valver on 16 May 2009, 11:08
As above my crank shift oil seal has gone, now my clutch is'nt slipping yet but I've told it will be soon if I dont get it sorted!
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: Rmachines on 16 May 2009, 12:53
I doubt the gearbox would be at fault...  Could only be the clutch really..?
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: Dannys Mk3 Project on 16 May 2009, 17:09
Yeah the car still picks up speed at 30 in 5th gear......


Is it a big job to replace the crank shaft oil seal? I looked in the Haynes manual and they say you need to get it like up on ramps and everything .... Anyone had this done at a garage? Got a rough cost?
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: danny_p on 16 May 2009, 20:58
it's basicly as per clutch chamge but you take the flywheel off to get at the seal as well
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: danny_p on 16 May 2009, 20:59
seal is about £26 probs ost £300 for fitting tho
Title: Re: Is My Gearbox Dying?
Post by: mk3valver on 16 May 2009, 22:24
Danny where about's are you?