GolfGTIforum.co.uk
Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Khare on 28 April 2009, 21:58
-
right. Looking to wire my sidelights to the front indicators.
Is it MOT passable so when i turn them on, the indicator will flash as usual but when i cancel the indicator rather than turning off, it will bright up again?
If so, then what do I have to do to wire them up? Just bridge the side lights to the indicators?
-
why would you want to do this???
-
why would you want to do this???
reckon it would look pretty sweet at night dude + its something different.
-
You mean like US style running lights?
If so, no. You have to drill holes in the back of your indicators, wedge a sidelight bulb holder in the holes with an orange bulb in them, and then connect the wires from the sidelight bulb holder to the sidelights inside your headlights.
Been there, done that. Will be doing it again when I get another Mk3 cus I want a US spec front bumper to go with the running lights :cool:
-
(http://file042b.bebo.com/15/large/2008/10/30/17/1190005612a9289676351l.jpg)
-
You mean like US style running lights?
If so, no. You have to drill holes in the back of your indicators, wedge a sidelight bulb holder in the holes with an orange bulb in them, and then connect the wires from the sidelight bulb holder to the sidelights inside your headlights.
Been there, done that. Will be doing it again when I get another Mk3 cus I want a US spec front bumper to go with the running lights :cool:
Nice one mate, exactly as in your pic is what im looking for.
Do the sidelight bulb holders go cheap?
-
I walked into a scrapyard, found a Mk3 with broken headlights, and borrowed the sidelight bulb holders out of the headlights :wink:
-
I walked into a scrapyard, found a Mk3 with broken headlights, and borrowed the sidelight bulb holders out of the headlights :wink:
oh yeah. Duh me! Im actualy going to a scrappy tomorrow, gonna get some boot struts and turn them to bonnet lifters. So will grab sidelight holders and find some orange bulbs. Nice one dude. Cheers.
-
No problem mate, glad I could help.
Just make sure that when you get the sidelight bulb holders, you cut the wiring far enough back to fit connectors on :wink:
-
No problem mate, glad I could help.
Just make sure that when you get the sidelight bulb holders, you cut the wiring far enough back to fit connectors on :wink:
yeah deffo. Will get as much wire as I can. I'l try and sneak them in my pocket too lol.
-
Joe, how big did you attatch sidelights to indicator case? did you use glue??
-
I personally wouldnt put orange bulbs in.
Dec had blue leds in his, and they look even siker ;)
-
I personally wouldnt put orange bulbs in.
Dec had blue leds in his, and they look even siker ;)
aint the tint on the inside of the indicators orange anyway? Even if i stuck a white bulb it would shine orange wouldnt it?? Cos im either going for orange, or blue.
-
I made the hole big enough for the sidelight bulb to push in (with a bit of force) but small enough for it not to fall out, and once it was pushed into the hole, that's where it stayed. Only problem I ever had was cheap connectors that kept wanting to fall off the end of the wires no matter how many times I 'crimped' them. Gave up in the end and used tape :grin:
Also, I forgot you're running standard clear indicators. I believe they do have an orange filter inside them so you'd be fine with just clear bulbs. My car had smoked indicators with no orange filter hence why I had to use orange bulbs.
-
Quick question is this not illegal.
-
Perfectly legal. Indicators still flash the same, and are clearly visible.
Think about it, new Volvos have running lights.
-
You mean like this Andres :grin:
(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/UTA_flyinghigh/Voitureuhs/Willoumobiles/Golf%20III/willoumobile_golf3_15.jpg)
If you want I can check how the wiring is on mine.
UTA
-
dec must have the filters removed and orange indicator bulbs.
-
mine are genuine annie indicators, no orange filters in mine
oh and i wouldnt have blue or orange, id just have white
-
Nongti Orange indicators FTW, thats what ive got in my new bumper. lol
-
Nongti Orange indicators FTW, thats what ive got in my new bumper. lol
NOooooooooo
dont do it
seen it on votex and ed38.... not a fan at all
-
Mine are white LED's :) they look kinda blueish in pics at night though :(
I have non-standard indicators anyway and orange bulbs :)
(http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/Dec_012/Car/2593_63237391318_677266318_2040780_.jpg)
(http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/Dec_012/Car/3398484099_e4452c185a_b.jpg)
(http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l96/Dec_012/Car/IMG_0332.jpg)
-
Nongti Orange indicators FTW, thats what ive got in my new bumper. lol
NOooooooooo
dont do it
seen it on votex and ed38.... not a fan at all
Atm its either that or nothing at all. lol
-
You mean like this Andres :grin:
(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/UTA_flyinghigh/Voitureuhs/Willoumobiles/Golf%20III/willoumobile_golf3_15.jpg)
If you want I can check how the wiring is on mine.
UTA
exactly like that. Dont worry about the wireing, I know how it goes. I realised I had the old headlights at home so ive nicked the sidelights off that. Gonna Attempt to wire it all in this afternoon.
-
You will get pulled for orange ones because the indicators won't be visible behind them.
-
You will get pulled for orange ones because the indicators won't be visible behind them.
Side light will be very weak though. When indicators are selected im guessing the more powerful bulb will shine through.
-
No, if there is orange light trying to shine through orange light, you will end up with a very slight flicker.
My mate had orange sidelights in his bora, they didnt even interfere with the indicators but he was still pulled and told that only white lights could be at the front of a car.
-
No, if there is orange light trying to shine through orange light, you will end up with a very slight flicker.
My mate had orange sidelights in his bora, they didnt even interfere with the indicators but he was still pulled and told that only white lights could be at the front of a car.
hmm i'l have to check on that. If it fails then i'l somehow remove the filter on the inside and get orange indicator bulbs.
-
You will get pulled for orange ones because the indicators won't be visible behind them.
I don't think so. I run orange parking lights on my Golf III (US), A4 B5 (Euro) and Civic (US) and have yet to be pulled over for it.
Also note the fact the new BMW 5-series, Citroen C5 and C6 all have orange sidemarker lights whether they are US or Euro versions (well at least the Bimmer as Citroen is AWOlL from US shores).
UTA
-
But normally US cars turn off the driving lights when the indicators come on, whereas the way that Khare will be wiring his, there will always be an orange light on, indicating or not.
And yes, my mate has a ticket to prove you cant run them :)
-
But normally US cars turn off the driving lights when the indicators come on, whereas the way that Khare will be wiring his, there will always be an orange light on, indicating or not.
And yes, my mate has a ticket to prove you cant run them :)
might have just been a twit copper tbh....
I'l see what i can do about the filters. worse comes to worse i'l find some clear ones in a scrappy or just forget bout the idea. Got the cables just about to wire them to sidelights ready for connection. Then i just gotta drill in indicators and done.
-
I don't doubt the fact your buddy got written up, I guess you're confusing DRL's and sidemarkers.
When I switch on parking lights on my US cars the orange parking lights, orange sidemarker lights and rear red parking lights come on.
When I switch on headlights the dipped beam comes on but of course the (orange) parking lights and sidemarkers stay on.
You can't miss the turn signal lights as they are much brighter than the parking lights.
The US VWvortex forums have a tutorial on making the sidemarker light flash when operating the turns but I'm too lazy to do that mod and besides no one here would notice.
UTA
-
Dec, the sidelights inside the headlights will still have clear bulbs and shine white..
There'll just be extra sidelights in the front indicators but with orange bulbs rather than clear ones
The orange indicator bulb is more powerful and therefore more visible than the sidelight bulb
Trust me on this one, I ran them for months before changing my indicators!
-
Dec, the sidelights inside the headlights will still have clear bulbs and shine white..
There'll just be extra sidelights in the front indicators but with orange bulbs rather than clear ones
The orange indicator bulb is more powerful and therefore more visible than the sidelight bulb
Trust me on this one, I ran them for months before changing my indicators!
well just wired it all in and it works great.
Joe is right, the sidelight has little output and the original indicator bulb is far more powerful, so when i turn sidelights on the indicator lights up slightly, and when i turn the indicator on it blinks through much stronger, so its deffo legal. Only downside i encountered was i dont know how one of the sidelight bulbs on the headlamp blew, but swapped it over from the working one and it worked fine, so need to get hold of a new bulb tomorrow.
Also, one of the indicators has the lense broken on the inside, so there is a white barrier between then lense and the orange filter. Going to the scrapy tuesday so I'l get hold of another indicator and just drill the sidelight hole again and swap them over.
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/DSC01623.jpg)
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/DSC01626.jpg)
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/DSC01625.jpg)
(http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/kharekatoh/golf%20mk3/DSC01624.jpg)
-
:cool:
-
cheers for all the help joe. Top man! :afro:
-
Pics at night......
-
Pics at night......
i'l do my best sir!
-
cheers for all the help joe. Top man! :afro:
No worries boss :cool: