GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: patch900 on 28 April 2009, 11:22

Title: Is the clutch knackered ?
Post by: patch900 on 28 April 2009, 11:22
Mk3 GTI, 1998, 150k on the clock, well maintained and not thrashed.

Has a tendency to crunch in 2nd but I think this is pretty common from what I have read.

Recently I have noticed my clutch bites at the very top. It can be hard to get in / out of gear, however, all gears engage normally and the engine doesnt overrev at all.

Is the clutch on the way out ?

Any ideas.
Title: Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
Post by: VR6-Joe on 28 April 2009, 12:40
Have you checked the cable? Think they're self adjusting? Might have stretched?
Title: Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
Post by: patch900 on 28 April 2009, 13:23
was thinking the cable might have stretched, had a new one fitted about 3yrs ago
Title: Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
Post by: Wayne on 28 April 2009, 13:54
I would try a cable first.
Title: Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
Post by: harlemex on 29 April 2009, 14:21
Then try a new linkage kit if the cable doesnt fix it. Im about to do mine. Ihave difficulty engaging 1st and 2nd and sometimes i get the dreaded reverse crunch :laugh:
Title: Re: Is the clutch knackered ?
Post by: patch900 on 29 April 2009, 18:45
cheers,

it can be a bit stiff with 1st and 2nd and get the occasional crunch but as said before it doesnt over rev in any gear.

I had the cable tightened or a new one put on a few years back, the chances are its slackened again.

time for a visit to the garage

mainly its a pain in the a*** but if its not the clutch itself thats shot I am fine with that