GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: droughty on 27 April 2009, 06:28

Title: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
Post by: droughty on 27 April 2009, 06:28
I have removed the Right (drivers side) axle, and cut both the CV boots off as they were perished,
I now do not know how to install the new CV boot as it will not fit over the axle (its too fat)
I'm guessing I have to remove the CV joint off the axle.
It has no cir-clip like the inner joint, will it come off with a few good wacks, or is there a better way?

Photo below of CV JOINT.

Maybe not, how do you post a photo here????

Regards.
Droughty

(http://gallery.me.com/craigdrought#100023/DSCF0559&bgcolor=black)
Title: Re: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
Post by: Cable on 27 April 2009, 07:38
there is a cone tool that you can use that stretches the boot over the joint.
Title: Re: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
Post by: Rmachines on 27 April 2009, 08:08
Standard CV boots will require you to take the cv joint off, usualy the just bang off,  use a soft mallet, grab the shaft and bang the joint untill it moves,  others have a circlip, i dont think the golf does but check first.    You can buy stretchy cv boots and fit it with a cone.
Title: Re: How do I Remove CV Joint ??
Post by: rubjonny on 27 April 2009, 09:56
i do it by holding shaft vertical, then i put my foot on one side of the lip on the cv, pull up on shaft and tap the other side of the cv with a hammer gently, doesnt usually require much force.