GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: Manxmann on 26 April 2009, 21:20

Title: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: Manxmann on 26 April 2009, 21:20
Hi Folks,

Spent a bit of time under the car today but I'm still not a 100% sure so I thought I'd ask those more in the know than I.

I have a two part cat back stainless sports exhaust that I had taken off my 96 vr6 (sports exhausts and auto's do not mix in my mind what a drone!). I've acquired a 96 GTI 2.0 16v.

Now that I have it running, that's another story in itself  :rolleyes:, I find that the 'middle' large silencer under the rear seat is shot!

Rather than spend the money fixing a standard steel exhaust I'd like to fit the valver with the old VR6 unit however I'm not sure if the diameter of the valver cat take off pipe is the same as the one on the vr6 and hence if the new exhaust will fit.

Can anyone advise me, will I need to get an adapter pipe made?

Cheers as always.

Simon
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: shepgti on 26 April 2009, 21:22
vr6 and 16v is the same.  :wink:
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: ace on 26 April 2009, 21:50
yeah it will fit, same size
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: Manxmann on 26 April 2009, 22:21
Stars!  :grin:

Cheers guys, quick trip to the fitters for some brackets it is!
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: Mikester on 26 April 2009, 22:25
Stars!  :grin:

Cheers guys, quick trip to the fitters for some brackets it is!

At this time of night!! MAD!!
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: beccasmk3gti on 27 April 2009, 09:26
the 8v one is smaller dia on the pipes 16v n vr6 ones are the same yet when u look in parts catalogs the vr6 ones are dearer
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: Manxmann on 29 April 2009, 21:58
£20 later and the valver's growling like a tiger  :evil:

I have to say the 'sound' whilst still loud is far more pleasing than the same exhaust on the VR6. It 'burbles' whereas on the VR6 it just droned annoyingly, I'm well chuffed.

Thanks again guys for the excellent advice.
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: mk3valver on 30 April 2009, 10:32
Sorry to hijack but let me get this right, a VR6 exhaust will fit a 16v?
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: DazVR6 on 30 April 2009, 12:17
Same bore so yes
Title: Re: VR6 Sports exhaust on 16v GTI
Post by: Manxmann on 30 April 2009, 22:19
Sorry to hijack but let me get this right, a VR6 exhaust will fit a 16v?

Absolutely my old girl is burbling proof  :evil: