GolfGTIforum.co.uk

Model specific boards => Golf mk3 => Topic started by: axewielder on 24 April 2009, 11:36

Title: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 24 April 2009, 11:36
Hi guys having trouble with car and read on Vortex about measuring resistance across crank speed sensor+ should have roughly 6-700 ohms, measured mine+ between pins 2+3 its 34Mohms, could someone who knows verify this or someone who is nice+ has a working car measure their's??
Its an 8V ADY BTW same as AGG ish
Cheers
Just hoping ive found the problemmo+ can start sorting it, doesn't show on VAGCOM though but doesn't seem right that it has such high resistance.
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: Andy-H on 24 April 2009, 11:42
What problems are you having??
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 24 April 2009, 11:51
Rough running+ cutting out after about 10mins, then wont start for a while, have checked alot.....
Any help much appreciated cheers
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 26 April 2009, 11:27
Any one??
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: Andy-H on 26 April 2009, 20:37
Sounds like that is your problem then Mate.

I had to do mine cos it would not start again for ages after a long run, didn't show up on vag-com though  :huh:

Bit of a pain to swap over though  :sad:
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 27 April 2009, 10:24
Yeah i know its a pain and ain't cheap so just wondering if i could test it out first, plus im a bit unsure of coil. would be great if you could measure the resistance between the pins?? just at the connecter down the front??
Cheers
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 28 April 2009, 10:23
anyone? bumpety bump
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: cyberbod on 28 April 2009, 13:03
Axewielder,

I have just bought a new crank sensor and I went and checked the resistance on the new one and the one in my car last night. I've left my scribbles at home though so I'll put them on later. They were both around the 17m ohms mark though.

The other thing though, I could only get a reading a certain way around on pins 2 and 3. If I put my probes the way around, there was no reading. Surely when you check for resistance you should be able to attach the meter probes any way round?

Pete
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 28 April 2009, 14:42
thanks alot man thats really helpful, i just got worried because all the americans have a much lower resistance but someone on vortex said the sensors might be of a diferent type?? i guess it could be a diode, the multimeter buts a small current through to see the resistance. I think i got another reding of similar size on the 2 outer pins once.
If theres anything you need checking just ask, ive got access to etka, elsawin, vagcom??
Cheers
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: cyberbod on 29 April 2009, 09:47
These are the readings I took of my old and new crank sensors:

New: 17.14 M Ohms
Old: 17.84 Ohms

Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 29 April 2009, 11:46
Sorry what pins + are they both mega ohms or is the second just ohms+ were they the only 2 with a rading, sorry to keep on just want to be sure+ what engine?
Thanks for all the help
JOe
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: cyberbod on 29 April 2009, 13:12
Sorry about that, I rushed the message earlier.

I have a Mk III AGG 8V.

The readings were taken on pins two and three on the sensor with the following readings:

New: 17.14 Meg Ohms
Old: 17.84 Meg Ohms

I am having starting problems with my car at the moment which is why I bought a new speed sensor but I've not fitted it yet as I spent a hour on the weekend cleaning a load of Earth points. The problem seems to have gone away although I'm starting it every day to make sure. In the past, the problem has gone only to return again in the future.

I've also got my battery getting drained every couple of days so I need to go and identify whats causing that.
Title: Re: Crank position sensor??
Post by: axewielder on 29 April 2009, 16:21
Thats realy helpful man, yeah the misses talked to local vw+ they said was comonly relays or bad earths, so mine has quite a bit more resistance but ill hope cleaning all the earths solves it, let me know how you get on with yours!!