Author Topic: fuse box connections  (Read 1266 times)

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
fuse box connections
« on: 17 June 2023, 10:40 »
So I've recently bought a dashcam and I'm looking to get it setup so that I am able to use it for parking monitoring, I already have the dashcam and I've also got the hardwire kit. I'm just looking for some help on which fuse I should use so that even when the ignition is off I am able to still supply my dashcam with power. The hardwire kit has an accessory which stops it from draining my battery low enough that it won't start etc so I don't need to worry about that. I've had a look to try and find out what fuses are live but I haven't been able to find anything telling me exactly what fuse I should use.
Any help would be great

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: fuse box connections
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2023, 11:24 »
Hi Doberman19.  If it's a BlackVue Dashcam solution you've got with a PowerMagic Pro box.  Then I'll see if I have any old photos of my config when I had that accessory installed (now moved to a Pittasoft Blackvue external battery solution instead as I wanted longer parking mode)

Off the top of my head I think I connected the BATT(+) yellow wire for a permanent 12 Volt connection (when the ignition is off) via an "add a fuse" accessory to the fuse 13 location (Rain Sensor). As I'm sure that circuit retained 12 volts with the ignition off.  A check with a multimeter would confirm of course.

I avoided anything to do with safety systems e.g. airbags, car alarm (interior monitoring), ABS, ESP.

The ignition power lead for the Dashcam I connected to fuse location 24 (Cigarette Lighter).
« Last Edit: 17 June 2023, 11:35 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
Re: fuse box connections
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2023, 16:36 »
Many thanks Bluto, a very concise how to do it, will give it a blast tomorrow. ps, My dashcam is a Viofo but I feel the connection will be the same as they both perform the same functions. thanks again.