Author Topic: Turbo whistle  (Read 2625 times)

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
Turbo whistle
« on: 23 August 2022, 15:54 »
Noticed a whistling when accelerating hard from 3000-4500rpm yesterday, happens when cold or warm. No engine lights, no drop in performance. I'm hoping it's just a boost leak and not the beginning of the end of my turbo. Are the stock turbos known to fail? Car isn't mapped and mileage is approaching 130,000.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: Turbo whistle
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2022, 18:09 »
Probably worth getting your local VW garage to give it health check/visual inspection?   

Personally I've not heard of the turbos on stock Mk6 GTIs being a common weak point; other forum members may know more on this?

The turbo on mine had an oil leak at 160k miles.  Oil seal had failed. Have you noticed any oil leaks on the ground where your car is usually parked?
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2022, 18:56 »
Intake pipe from airbox the sensor can make it whistle. Check pipe sealing and maybe turn it alittle can stop the whistle. Also I'm assume you don't have an aftermarket intake as they cause a whistle under load as you discribe.
The diverter valve would be my first port of call. Its weak ive had a few over the past 10 years nd the diaphragm can split causing a whistle as you describe. Maybe remove it and check it.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2022, 19:25 »
Thanks guys, i havent heard of turbo failures on mk5 and mk6’s to be honest. Although a earlier in the year i did have go replace the v band clamp on the turbo as it had broken.

I had a local garage take a quick look this morning he seemed to think it was the DV too but didnt put the car on the ramp. Offered a smoke test so i’ll get that done and check the DV too.

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2022, 08:55 »
I usually drive sedately especially since fuel costs increased but this morning decided to do a few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls. Bit of a cloud of smoke so I do wonder if the turbo itself is failing. Boost and performance seemed fine however.

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2022, 08:56 »
Probably worth getting your local VW garage to give it health check/visual inspection?   

Personally I've not heard of the turbos on stock Mk6 GTIs being a common weak point; other forum members may know more on this?

The turbo on mine had an oil leak at 160k miles.  Oil seal had failed. Have you noticed any oil leaks on the ground where your car is usually parked?

I'll keep an eye out for oil leaks. Did you have to replace the turbo then?

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2022, 20:17 »
Yes, unfortunately my car needed a new turbo due to the oil seal failure it suffered.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2022, 14:10 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2022, 17:15 »
So the smoke test showed nothing in the engine bay. Had the car up on the ramps and driveshaft was covered in wet oil below the turbo. Oil was dripping seemingly from the turbo itself. I’m thinking to book it into vw for a diagnostic and see what they come back with. If they say the turbo is knackered i’ll just grab a used one. Local garages to me are hopeless at diagnosing and the nearest vw indy is an hour away.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2022, 22:08 »
The oil feed pipe to the turbo is a known issue even when the cars were new. So could be that. Could also be the pcv pipe dripping down. Only way would be to clean the area and then follow the trail. That's if the oil feed pipe isn't split and squirring it everywhere.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2022, 22:26 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline MA1694

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2022, 20:53 »
Had it up on the ramp and mechanic said it looks like its the rear pcv breather pipe. Ordered from TPS went back today to get it fitted only to find out the plastic/rubber pipe that connects the turbo to the large intake pipe was torn so easily slid off the turbo connection. Ordered that too so im hoping these are the causes of the whistle and oil leak. Lets see.