Author Topic: Stranger things  (Read 1513 times)

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
Stranger things
« on: 11 August 2022, 10:29 »
Hi to all, my mk6 GTI has started to make the strangest noise. when driving under load in a high gear, say going up a gradient, the engine starts to go WOW WOW WOW WOW there's no noticeable change with the rev counter, and I can be doing as little as 2.5th revs, there is a noticeable holding back of the engine, but if I drive it like miss Daisey she drives great. as yet I've only changed the plugs, I do know my next call is for diagnostics, but meantime I was wondering if this has been experienced by other owners. thanks.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2022, 13:39 by doberman19 »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Stranger things
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2022, 14:08 »
Not sure what it would be exactly  from the description but my suspicion would be the diverter valve diaphragm is split. So I would remove that and check it.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2022, 18:05 »
Thanks for that Snoopy, it sounds like a good shout.

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2022, 19:10 »
I've had the car on diagnostics and found two codes po100 and po172. if I remember it's
bank 1 running rich, and an air leak with the inlet manifold. not wishing to piddle about
trying to find the issue I've booked it into R-Tech Nuneaton to have the manifold off and
have the head walnut blasted, valves flow test and ultra-sonic cleaned injectors, fit new filters and fit
new Teflon seals. hopefully then it will all be sorted, regards.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2022, 13:13 »
Wow. Be like new after that. Might want to check spark plugs and replace if necessary? Be interested if you notice significant difference after the walnut blasting.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2022, 15:06 »
hi, Joe, when I first had issues I replaced the plugs with NGK Iridium,
 they've only done a few hundred miles, I will report my findings after
my visit to R-Tech. regards.

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2022, 20:53 »
Just an update, after my visit to R-Tech, I had the ports walnut blasted, but on checking the injectors it was found that two of them were leaking and non-repairable, even the built-in filter mesh on the injectors had disintegrated, so four new  bosch injectors were fitted, On completion I took her for a test drive and I could genuinely could feel an improvement. I still had a warning light on because of the MAF so I replaced it with an OEM unit but the dash light still came on even after being deleted. I later found out that when it's replaced it had to be reset, she's now running really sweet. Hopefully I can keep my wallet closed for many more miles. regards to all.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2022, 22:24 »
Thanks for the update. Great that you have a noticeable inprovement :smiley:. Think I might get a compression test before making decisions about any port blasting. Not using any oil between changes so hopefully the test will be fine and a good cleanup will then be beneficial.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2022, 23:15 »
Hi Joe, R-Tech came highly recommended and they don't disappoint, I see you're in the midlands, so if you are considering having it done pay them a visit, my mk6 has 110k on so it was due a little TLC, regards.