Author Topic: Bens Mk3 GTi VR6, Twin Turbo build is starting  (Read 77830 times)

Offline benvictors

• I live here
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
Bens Mk3 GTi VR6, Twin Turbo build is starting
« on: 31 October 2010, 12:29 »
Thought it high time I started one of these, had the Golf a year now and although its nowhere near finished, its starting to come together nicely me thinks  :smiley:
It had 193,000 on the clock and was a little rough around the edges but for £500 with full service history I thought 'Why not'

When I first got her - 

First thing I did was to give it a good clean, even though it had full service history with it, it had been a little neglected when it came to the bodywork and interior and the gearbox was making a bit of a noise  :huh:

« Last Edit: 16 November 2012, 20:58 by benvictors »

Offline benvictors

• I live here
Re: Bens Mk3 GTi 8V project
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2010, 12:59 »
Next job was the wheels, they were a bit of a mess, filthy, scratched, scraped and curbed. Needed a couple of new tyres too so got on the bay and managed to get a full set of Long Beach wheels with good tyres for £35.... BARGAIN.

As they were -

Stripped em -

Repaired em -

Sprayed em + New centre caps -

Back on the car (sprayed my calipers red whilst the wheels were off) -   

Offline benvictors

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2010, 13:13 »
Decided I didn't like the standard look wheels after aboput a week, so off they came again, stripped and re-sprayed Graphite Grey

Made myself some wheel spacers at work and fit them with the newly sprayed wheels, 25mm per side on the front, 30mm per side on the rear, made it look nice an fat

On the car with my newly purchased front fogs -

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2010, 13:13 »
woh!... thats got some healthy miles on it, whats the mileage now!  :shocked:

Nice work on the wheels! :cool:

Offline benvictors

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2010, 13:18 »
woh!... thats got some healthy miles on it, whats the mileage now!  :shocked:

Nice work on the wheels! :cool:

Ha ha, indeed  :smiley: Just coming up to 197,000, fires up first time, every time no matter the weather and still runs pretty sweet  :grin:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2010, 13:26 »
Liking the rear stance. I need to get myself some spaces, although isn't 30mm dangerous? Heard 15mm is max in terms of safety  :undecided:

Offline benvictors

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2010, 13:30 »
By now (around February this year) the gearbox was making a hell of a noise and the gear change was sloppy to say the least.
Replaced the thrust bearing on the box to see if this helped but after finding the old bearing all mis-shaped and metal filings in the end of the box I thought I'd better source myself a new one so went out and bought this for £350 -

Had 100,000 on the clock, part service history, full stainless exhuast, full Mulberry leather interior and 10-disc cd changer but had been sat for a over a year without even been started, charged the battery and hey presto, it started  :shocked:

Took it straight to my mates garage to see what it would need for an MOT, was gonna keep this one and break mine.
However, because it had been sat for so long the whole of the inner and outer sills had rotted, around £400 of welding aswell as new brake lines, new discs and pads and some other little bits an bats so went back to my original idea of stripping this one.

Took the gearbox out of it along with the leathers and the disc changer and got em on mine  :wink:

Offline benvictors

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2010, 13:34 »
Liking the rear stance. I need to get myself some spaces, although isn't 30mm dangerous? Heard 15mm is max in terms of safety  :undecided:

Ha ha, not this topic again  :wink:
I would be so bold as to say 40mm would be just about ok, yes it will put more strain on your wheel bearings but as regards to safety I would say they will be fine, I'm a fully qualified mechanical engineer of 14 years so I know a little bit about stuff like this (Not a lot mind  :grin:)

Offline benvictors

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2010, 13:46 »
After replacing my gearbox I decided to strip down the old one and see exactly what the issue was, It wasn't pretty -

The Input shaft bearing had destroyed itself making the input shaft rattle around in the end of the box,

fifth gear proceeded to start eating its way through the Thrust bearing housing,

I had to knock out the thrust bearing with a hammer so christ knows how the clutch was working  :huh:

This is what was left of the bearing -

Offline benvictors

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2010, 13:53 »
On installation of the new box I had a check of the gear linkage etc to see why it was so sloppy when in gear (About a 2" movement back and fourth when in any gear)
Turns out the Linkage Bush had disintegrated (The one on the right) So I made myself a nice new one out of some Nylon I had at work (The one on the left)

Whilst I was at it I made myself a short shift linkage bar too -

The new one is about 13mm longer and gives a nice short shift between gears, NICE  :wink:

On the car -